Muslim Who Won’t Sell Pork Loses Dunkin’ Donuts Franchise

Devils' advocate

In any business the proprietor has the right to decide what sells and doesn't sell. This owner based on his history is entitled to that right.

Where is it written that Dunkin donuts has the right to tell any franchise what they are to sell? Did the contract read sell what we say or out.

As an individual the proprietor runs the store based on precedent and not some new ruling. If rules can change easily any business could come under fire for not strictly adhering to some new arcane rule.

A good faith relationship over this much time should be respected if the owner's decisions do not in any sense reflect badly on the company. This would not.

Two areas intersect in this decision, religious respect and individual freedom, dunkin donuts is saying no Muslim (or other religion with similar traditions) can own a DD thus isolating and discriminating based only on religion. If I am in charge of a business why would I not be free to decide what products I wish to sell provided this decision is visible to all potential customers. Who are his customers. They should be decisive fact.

Even the business name implies one thing, and as a business the goal is sales and not enforcement of new and recent changes. Franchise decisions should be based on issues that critically reflect on DD company and in this case there is no clear reason why an owners decision could not be recognized as correct, in a tolerant society that recognizes differences of fundamental belief.

D&D Recognized that he wasn't making them as much money as the other chains who actually sold pork so they let him alone until it was time to renew the contract and created a new stipulation based on this fact, if they had actually taken his religion into account in these business proceedings that would be showing religious favoritism, hell they let him get away with it for 20 years before that.

Devils' advocate

In any business the proprietor has the right to decide what sells and doesn't sell. This owner based on his history is entitled to that right.

Where is it written that Dunkin donuts has the right to tell any franchise what they are to sell? Did the contract read sell what we say or out.

As an individual the proprietor runs the store based on precedent and not some new ruling. If rules can change easily any business could come under fire for not strictly adhering to some new arcane rule.

A good faith relationship over this much time should be respected if the owner's decisions do not in any sense reflect badly on the company. This would not.

Two areas intersect in this decision, religious respect and individual freedom, dunkin donuts is saying no Muslim (or other religion with similar traditions) can own a DD thus isolating and discriminating based only on religion. If I am in charge of a business why would I not be free to decide what products I wish to sell provided this decision is visible to all potential customers. Who are his customers. They should be decisive fact.

Even the business name implies one thing, and as a business the goal is sales and not enforcement of new and recent changes. Franchise decisions should be based on issues that critically reflect on DD company and in this case there is no clear reason why an owners decision could not be recognized as correct, in a tolerant society that recognizes differences of fundamental belief.

You might want to try a new approach. Dunkin Donuts has every right to set up the parameters of what is and is not acceptable. That includes Recipes, measures, even pricing and promotions, to some degree. Think Quality Control, Uniformity, consistency. It is not about prejudice, Midcan, it's about the expectations you as a consumer, have, walking into any Dunkin Donuts in the Country.

An Arab-American owner of a Chicago-area Dunkin’ Donuts store has to give up his franchise after he lost his long-running legal battle with the restaurant chain over his religious objections to selling pork products.

The company’s lawsuit came two weeks after a federal jury found that the chain did not discriminate against Elkhatib for refusing to renew his franchise agreement because he declined to sell breakfast sandwiches with bacon, ham or sausage.

The dietary restrictions of Elkhatib’s Muslim faith forbid him from eating or handling pork. When he decided to go into the restaurant business, his faith one of the reasons why he invested in Dunkin’ Donuts in 1979. The chain did not introduce breakfast sandwiches until 1984.

For nearly 20 years, Dunkin’ Donuts accommodated his religious beliefs, even providing him signs for his store that said, “No meat products available,” Elkhatib asserted in court documents. But in 2002, the company reversed course and told him it would not renew his franchise agreement if he did not sell its full line of products.

Elkhatib sued the company but because he is not an employee of Dunkin’ Donuts, he could not sue under federal laws banning religious discrimination in the work place. Instead, he invoked a law that bars racial and certain forms of ancestry discrimination in the making of contracts.

A Chicago federal judge rejected Elkhatib’s claim, finding that it was a religious rather than a racial claim. But in 2007 an appellate court allowed the case to go to trial, finding that Dunkin’ Donuts did not consistently apply its rules on franchise holders. In fact, Elkhatib’s lawyer found a Chicago location that did not sell breakfast sandwiches with pork because many of the customers followed Jewish dietary laws that ban the consumption of pork products.

Elkhatib’s franchise agreement expired in April 2008, but Dunkin’ Donuts allowed him to keep operating the store until the end of the trial.

Muslim Who Won’t Sell Pork Loses Dunkin’ Donuts Franchise | Chill Yo Islam Yo

Gotta love it dude.

The right brays on and on about religious "freedom" right up until it's a religion they don't like.

Then it's "Follow the rules, buddy".

:badgrin:

Do you liberals have any concept of reality? ANY at all? It has nothing to do with religious rights or what religion the man belongs too. It has to do with contractual obligations and business. It has no comparison to a Pharmacist either.

Dunkin Donuts allows people through contract to use their name, with that come RESPONSIBILITIES ( I realize you liberal children have no concept of what that word means.)

Further a Federal Court heard his arguments and ruled in Dunkin Donuts favor, as it should have.

In order for any of your arguments to be valid would require you prove that Dunkin Donuts made the decision based on his religion ( facts not in evidence) and disproved by the 20 years they made exceptions. Further it would require that you show that the Federal Court system is biased against Muslims and in particular this Judge has a prejudice. Again facts not in evidence.

Devils' advocate

A Federal Court was involved. One must assume that the Contract in question does in fact address the issues. No evidence of prejudice on the part of Dunkin Donuts or the Federal Court or Judge.

Those who think this has anything to do with freedom of religion are just as stupid as those who said Rush Limbaugh's freedom of speech was infringed by sponsors leaving his show.

An Arab-American owner of a Chicago-area Dunkin’ Donuts store has to give up his franchise after he lost his long-running legal battle with the restaurant chain over his religious objections to selling pork products.

The company’s lawsuit came two weeks after a federal jury found that the chain did not discriminate against Elkhatib for refusing to renew his franchise agreement because he declined to sell breakfast sandwiches with bacon, ham or sausage.

The dietary restrictions of Elkhatib’s Muslim faith forbid him from eating or handling pork. When he decided to go into the restaurant business, his faith one of the reasons why he invested in Dunkin’ Donuts in 1979. The chain did not introduce breakfast sandwiches until 1984.

For nearly 20 years, Dunkin’ Donuts accommodated his religious beliefs, even providing him signs for his store that said, “No meat products available,” Elkhatib asserted in court documents. But in 2002, the company reversed course and told him it would not renew his franchise agreement if he did not sell its full line of products.

Elkhatib sued the company but because he is not an employee of Dunkin’ Donuts, he could not sue under federal laws banning religious discrimination in the work place. Instead, he invoked a law that bars racial and certain forms of ancestry discrimination in the making of contracts.

A Chicago federal judge rejected Elkhatib’s claim, finding that it was a religious rather than a racial claim. But in 2007 an appellate court allowed the case to go to trial, finding that Dunkin’ Donuts did not consistently apply its rules on franchise holders. In fact, Elkhatib’s lawyer found a Chicago location that did not sell breakfast sandwiches with pork because many of the customers followed Jewish dietary laws that ban the consumption of pork products.

Elkhatib’s franchise agreement expired in April 2008, but Dunkin’ Donuts allowed him to keep operating the store until the end of the trial.

He should have.

Your thread title scared me. I thought Dunkin Donuts was using pork in their donuts.

He should have.

Your thread title scared me. I thought Dunkin Donuts was using pork in their donuts.

Bacon stuffed donuts.....yum.

He should have.

Bacon stuffed donuts.....yum.

Maple bar with bacon...

20111117-194428-pic-17322049_t310.jpg

I don't understand, this is business. I buy all my liquor and beer from an Indian Muslim and he could care less, he tags it and bags it for me at the register.

To be fair ( I agree with DD on this) Muslims are not forbidden to handle alcohol just can't consume it. His faith forbids him from even touching pork. It would make him unclean. To have to sell it would mean he basically could not enter his own stores kitchen area or handle the product.

His law suit was reasonable on its face, I just happen to agree that DD has the right to enforce their product line on anyone with the franchise.

Many Muslims are convinced that they will go to hell if they even touch a piece of bacon. About a year ago, a Muslim who worked in a cafeteria was not required to prepare or serve pork products; however, he still complained because he objected to even saying the word “ham.” I think the Muslim attitude is rather strange since the Qur'an does not prohibit touching pork and even allows for the consumption of pork when a person is truly hungry and eats no more than what is necessary. Here is what the Qur'an says (M. H. Shakir Translation):

[2.173] He has only forbidden you what dies of itself, and blood, and flesh of swine, and that over which any other (name) than (that of) Allah has been invoked; but whoever is driven to necessity, not desiring, nor exceeding the limit, no sin shall be upon him; surely Allah is Forgiving, Merciful.

[5.3] Forbidden to you is that which dies of itself, and blood, and flesh of swine, and that on which any other name than that of Allah has been invoked, and the strangled (animal) and that beaten to death, and that killed by a fall and that killed by being smitten with the horn, and that which wild beasts have eaten, except what you slaughter, and what is sacrificed on stones set up (for idols) and that you divide by the arrows; that is a transgression. This day have those who disbelieve despaired of your religion, so fear them not, and fear Me. This day have I perfected for you your religion and completed My favor on you and chosen for you Islam as a religion; but whoever is compelled by hunger, not inclining willfully to sin, then surely Allah is Forgiving, Merciful.

[6.145] Say: I do not find in that which has been revealed to me anything forbidden for an eater to eat of except that it be what has died of itself, or blood poured forth, or flesh of swine-- for that surely is unclean-- or that which is a transgression, other than (the name of) Allah having been invoked on it; but whoever is driven to necessity, not desiring nor exceeding the limit, then surely your Lord is Forgiving, Merciful.

[16.115] He has only forbidden you what dies of itself and blood and flesh of swine and that over which any other name than that of Allah has been invoked, but whoever is driven to necessity, not desiring nor exceeding the limit, then surely Allah is Forgiving, Merciful.

Devils' advocate

As a "Franchisee" he gives up many of his entrepreneurial rights. As a "franchisee" he has no right to special treatment. He cannot deviate from the "franchise" plan. When you buy a "franchise" you agree to abide by the terms of the agreement or face the consequences. He had his day in court, and he lost.

Sorry bout that,

1. Hey Zander man, you think muslims will have to go to hell because they have read what you wrote, with the *Capitalist Pig* under your ID? :badgrin:
2. Zander is so under-rated in here my friends,......

Regards,
SirJamesofTexas

Weird how freedom and respect for religion only count for the right when they are inline with their idea of freedom and respect. Anyone smell hypocrisy here?

Weird how freedom and respect for religion only count for the right when they are inline with their idea of freedom and respect. Anyone smell hypocrisy here?

I smell if coming off you like stink from a rotting corpse.

And it disappoints me because I always liked you too.

i dont see it as hypocrisy ....when you walk into a franchise you expect each one to be like the other...product reliability is what started franchises.....i expect a dd in calif to be like a dd in nc simple as that....

profit most likely was a key factor...dd franchises are limited by area etc.....if you have a shop sucking hind tit you need to change it or close it and let someone open a more profitable one...

i have never had a muslim cabbie ask me anything but where i am going....

No. Not at all. Ask Yourself why this Man needs to belong to the Dunkin Donuts Franchise in the first place. You want to open a Mac Donald's or Burger King Franchise that is Vegetarian or Non Pork, or Kosher, or Halal? How about standing on your own feet instead? Why is it such a problem to honor your commitment to a Franchise Standard? If you have Religious reasons for not participating, or honoring Contract Obligations, why not seek something else in the first place? Why would you want to be a part of something in direct conflict with your faith, at all? Why would you even eat in such a place if it bothered you so?

Forum List

Back