Muslim Chief of Police Under Fire For Refusing to Salute Flag During Pledge of Allegiance

She should be fired. no ifs ands or buts

she should stand as role model for the citizens she was hired to protect

What did she do wrong? Is it her fault that there are differing standards on how to stand during the pledge? From an article previously posted on this thread:

On Monday, Ortiz fired off a letter to Llanes asking that Najiy be removed as commander of the department’s Honor Guard because she failed to salute the flag and place her hand over her heart during the Pledge of Allegiance at a ceremony last week. Ortiz produced a 23-second video that he plastered over social media showing Najiy standing at attention with her arms at her side as three other top commanders and the chief did the same but with hand covering heart.

Ortiz then cited a section of the police department’s code of conduct that allows for punishment if proper attention isn’t given during a flag ceremony. Police brass shot back, saying U.S. military code supercedes the city code when it comes to the Honor Guard. It calls for military personnel to face the flag, stand at attention and remain silent during indoor ceremonies.

And that’s exactly what Najiy did, said Miami Police Maj. Delrish Moss. He said the assistant chief was simply following protocol and that not saluting the flag had nothing to do with her personal beliefs.

In any event, it seems likely that Little Miss Muslim Deputy Police Chief is going to have a hard time getting officers to support her in future.

Too bad. Her fellow officers appear to support her. In all regards she appears well qualified for the job. It's a pity bigotry rears it's ugly head.
By what yardstick do you measure that Miami police officers support this person in her refusal to salute the American flag?

What rubbish you serve-up here.

Miami cop who didn t salute flag gains support union chief keeps up pressure Miami Herald Miami Herald

So exactly why does she deserve to be fired?
I doubt that the Miami Herald article is reflective of the Department at-large, but it does, indeed, appear, that she has at least some support within it.

I never said nor implied anything about her being fired.

Although that sounds like a darned-fine idea, now that you mention it.

Why?
A lack of respect for patriotic custom and tradition does not sit well with uninformed folk - including police, fire-folk, etc., as well as the military.

And they are the ones that this person must earn respect and support from, before she can command.

This is nothing more than a short-lived blip on the scope to you and I.

She, and her troops, will be living with it, long after you and I have forgotten about it.

Might as well save 'em all the trouble and fire her now.

Although I have no idea what grounds one would use in doing so.

There will, in all probability, come a day when she needs her people to 'have her back'.

Something tells me that many are no longer willing to do so.

Okay, I'll put out Collins'...

Definition of patriot Collins English Dictionary

a person who vigorously supports his country and its way of life

No, I'm not. My country and its way of life needs no such support. If you think your country and its way of life will collapse if correct form in and the frequent taking of an oath is not adhered to, I can see why you'd be a patriot.

So your complaints about form over substance is basically a lie.

For you reject the substance you were supposedly so concerned about.

What is your vision of the future, the one that you want?

What did she do wrong? Is it her fault that there are differing standards on how to stand during the pledge? From an article previously posted on this thread:

On Monday, Ortiz fired off a letter to Llanes asking that Najiy be removed as commander of the department’s Honor Guard because she failed to salute the flag and place her hand over her heart during the Pledge of Allegiance at a ceremony last week. Ortiz produced a 23-second video that he plastered over social media showing Najiy standing at attention with her arms at her side as three other top commanders and the chief did the same but with hand covering heart.

Ortiz then cited a section of the police department’s code of conduct that allows for punishment if proper attention isn’t given during a flag ceremony. Police brass shot back, saying U.S. military code supercedes the city code when it comes to the Honor Guard. It calls for military personnel to face the flag, stand at attention and remain silent during indoor ceremonies.

And that’s exactly what Najiy did, said Miami Police Maj. Delrish Moss. He said the assistant chief was simply following protocol and that not saluting the flag had nothing to do with her personal beliefs.
Sounds like one helluva juicy rationalization.

We'll see whether that juicy rationalization means anything on the street.

That's up to the rank-and-file on the Miami PD - not us.

Too bad. Her fellow officers appear to support her. In all regards she appears well qualified for the job. It's a pity bigotry rears it's ugly head.
By what yardstick do you measure that Miami police officers support this person in her refusal to salute the American flag?

Miami cop who didn t salute flag gains support union chief keeps up pressure Miami Herald Miami Herald

I doubt that the Miami Herald article is reflective of the Department at-large, but it does, indeed, appear, that she has at least some support within it.

Why?
A lack of respect for patriotic custom and tradition does not sit well with uninformed folk - including police, fire-folk, etc., as well as the military.

And they are the ones that this person must earn respect and support from, before she can command.

She, and her troops, will be living with it, long after you and I have forgotten about it.

There will, in all probability, come a day when she needs her people to 'have her back'.

But she did not show a "lack of respect" - she followed one of the customary traditions.

Sounds like one helluva juicy rationalization.

We'll see whether that juicy rationalization means anything on the street.

That's up to the rank-and-file on the Miami PD - not us.

She behaved appropriately. Want to bet that if she was NOT Muslim no one would have said a thing?

Fox & Friends attacks Miami’s history-making black woman cop because she could be a flag-hating Muslim

Elisabeth Hasselbeck and the hosts of Fox & Friends suggested on Monday that they had a “right to know” if the first black woman to be appointed Assistant Chief of Police in Miami was a Muslim who hated America because she stood at attention during the Pledge of Allegiance instead of placing her hand over her heart.

Assistant police chief followed proper code while not saluting flag Miami police say News - Home

The Miami Police Benevolent Association released a statement Wednesday afternoon that said in part, "Racism cloaked in patriotism is a huge insult to the American flag, the city of Miami Police Department, and the countless hate and anti-Muslim filled rants generated by the recent antics of the FOP president; those two things seem to be the genesis of the current false controversy."

The statement continued, "A person who calls attention to Assistant Chief Najiy's decision to stand respectfully at attention during the Pledge of Allegiance, while he himself video taped the proceedings rather than pay the proper respect to the flag, is acting like a hypocrite."

Miami PD Assistant Chief Anita Najiy the victim of Islamophobic smears over her Pledge non- salute
The city’s code of conduct for police officers clearly states that an officer in uniform, unless engaged in police duties, “will face the approaching flag and render a sharp military salute. Members in civilian clothes will stand at attention, holding right hand over left breast.”

Let me see if I can extrapolate from that.

Swearing allegiance to the flag in a way that satisfies critics is patriotic, while being criticised for the form of allegiance means one is not patriotic.

Oh yes, seems substantive.

Last edited:

Why?

But she did not show a "lack of respect" - she followed one of the customary traditions.
She followed minimal protocols, not tradition, insofar as I can tell.

But - rightly or wrongly - the cat is out of the bag now, apparently, once these things go viral, with a particular spin on them.

Glad I'm not her.

Never can tell when you're gonna need an officer to back you up on the street, when you're stuck leaving your desk, to go out into the field.

Her gender would not factor into any decision to not back her up. Her race would (probably) not factor into any decision not to back her up. Hell, even her religion (might) not factor into any decision not to back her up. But people will remember the perceived insult to the American Flag, and that might factor into any such mean-spirited decision.

"Whoops... yes, Mister Internal Investigator, the hammer on my pistol caught on my holster strap, and I was a split-second too late, to save her - poor thing - and the perp got away... I feel sooooo bad about all this."

I'll bet she wishes she had a Do-Over, right about now.

She made a choice not to salute the American Flag in a public setting during the course of a recital of the Pledge of Allegiance.

Most unwise, in any uniformed military or paramilitary setting, where you're commanding stereotypically conservative folks who prize adherence to such traditions.

Last edited:
Let me see if I can extrapolate from that.

Swearing allegiance to the flag in a way that satisfies critics is patriotic, while being criticised for the form of allegiance means one is not patriotic.

Oh yes, seems substantive.

No, you are going BACK to complaining about the form.

But you've already admitted that your real issue is with the substance, ie you do not believe in Patriotism.

You are not a patriot.

You have indicated that you think being a patriot means you cannot think for yourself.

Observing the forms of a group is showing that you are part of that group. This is part of how groups form and successfully work together.

Would you rather there be no groups of people working together?

...She behaved appropriately. Want to bet that if she was NOT Muslim no one would have said a thing?
Again... she followed minimal protocols, rather than following tradition, insofar as I can tell, although I'll happily concede that I'm not the "last word" on such matters.

As to her being a Muslim, well, it's entirely possible that the only reason why it went viral was because she is Muslim.

Generally speaking, Muslims are highly suspect and under extremely close scrutiny, in many parts of The West, including the United States.

Golly-gosh gee-whiz and golly-gee-willickers... I can't imagine why.
75_75.gif

It was this woman's great misfortune that she chose to follow minimal protocols rather than serving-up the traditional salute.

But, it was her choice.

Given her circumstances, apparently, she chose poorly.

Choices have consequences.

These, apparently, are hers.

A Muslim Assistant Chief of Police in Miami is under fire for what she chose to do during the pledge of allegiance at a ceremony last week.

As Dom the Conservative reported:
Muslim Chief of Police Under Fire For Refusing to Salute Flag During Pledge of Allegiance Top Right News
Fraternal Order of Police President Javier Ortiz was livid after he witnessed assistant chief of police Anita Najiy disrespecting the American flag as she refused to put her hand over her heart during the pledge of allegiance.

“If you’re not pledging allegiance to the United States, my question is what country are you pledging allegiance to?” Ortiz told the Miami New Times. “Anyone who isn’t offended by that is not American, because when you become a U.S. citizen, you pledge allegiance to the U.S.
As said in the article - Mustafa Carroll, the head of the Dallas-Fort Worth branch of CAIR in 2013: “If we are practicing Muslims, we are above the law of the land.”
And it seems like this person will say the same things in court(of course if somebody will sue her)
And also - since when, person who think that American traditions were created not for everybody can serve to our country?!

Hey you ignorant dolt Jehovah's Witnesses will not stand for the pledge :

A Muslim Assistant Chief of Police in Miami is under fire for what she chose to do during the pledge of allegiance at a ceremony last week.

Muslim Chief of Police Under Fire For Refusing to Salute Flag During Pledge of Allegiance Top Right News
Fraternal Order of Police President Javier Ortiz was livid after he witnessed assistant chief of police Anita Najiy disrespecting the American flag as she refused to put her hand over her heart during the pledge of allegiance.

“If you’re not pledging allegiance to the United States, my question is what country are you pledging allegiance to?” Ortiz told the Miami New Times. “Anyone who isn’t offended by that is not American, because when you become a U.S. citizen, you pledge allegiance to the U.S.
As said in the article - Mustafa Carroll, the head of the Dallas-Fort Worth branch of CAIR in 2013: “If we are practicing Muslims, we are above the law of the land.”
And it seems like this person will say the same things in court(of course if somebody will sue her)
And also - since when, person who think that American traditions were created not for everybody can serve to our country?!

A JV who doesn't stand for the Pledge gets the same brickbats as anybody else.

I wonder about any country where allegiance is so weak it must be continually pledged. Something strange going on there.
A citizen of any country pledges allegiance to that country as a show not only of support but a way of saying thank you for what that country has given. Try going in to a marriage without saying "I love you" more than once. As far as all muslims of the world the day is set for the extermination of all of them and I am sorry to say I probably won't be around to enjoy it.

...She behaved appropriately. Want to bet that if she was NOT Muslim no one would have said a thing?
Again... she followed minimal protocols, rather than following tradition, insofar as I can tell, although I'll happily concede that I'm not the "last word" on such matters.

As to her being a Muslim, well, it's entirely possible that the only reason why it went viral was because she is Muslim.

Generally speaking, Muslims are highly suspect and under extremely close scrutiny, in many parts of The West, including the United States.

75_75.gif

It was this woman's great misfortune that she chose to follow minimal protocols rather than serving-up the traditional salute.

But, it was her choice.

She followed the proper protocal. You might have forgotten but we are a country that has freedom of religion. Truly - singling this out in this manner smacks of bigotry - and if bigotry is the "consequences" then I think we should be speaking out against it, not endorsing it.

No. They don't. There are police officers who are JW's. I can't find a single article and certainly nothing in Fox criticizing them for improper behavior during the pledge of allegience much less demanding they be fired.

She followed the proper protocal. You might have forgotten but we are a country that has freedom of religion. <snip>

There's some bakers in Oregon that might disagree with you.

We allow Conscientious Objectors to avoid being drafted because of their Religion, but let a Religious Baker refuse to bake a cake because of his religion?

A Muslim can refuse to properly salute the Flag because of her religion, but a Pizzaria owner answers a HYPOTHETICAL question the wrong way, and...?

Yeah, I know how you people work.... Freedom for me, not for thee.

Not only that, but the gay mafia has now threatened GoFundMe into cancelling the accounts for the oppressed religion

dims are what they are

75_75.gif

But, it was her choice.

She followed the proper protocal. You might have forgotten but we are a country that has freedom of religion. Truly - singling this out in this manner smacks of bigotry - and if bigotry is the "consequences" then I think we should be speaking out against it, not endorsing it.
Twist and wiggle on the hook in the wind all you like on this one, Coyote, but, her choice left her open to criticism and charges of divided loyalty or worse. Her religions affiliation doesn't help matters any, either, but it all goes back to her poor choice, to follow minimal protocols and to ignore or reject related tradition.

Had she not made that initial bad choice, the situation would not have even materialized, never mind accelerated due to her affiliations.

She already had a couple of strikes against her, from one perspective or another.

She foolishly piled another on top of the heap.

Not exactly the brightest move ever seen on the part of a uniformed officer who relies upon the support of others.

You can't fix "stupid", and, in her position, she apparently made a stupid choice.

She now reaps the consequences.

Dog bites man.

MEH.

No. They don't. There are police officers who are JW's. I can't find a single article and certainly nothing in Fox criticizing them for improper behavior during the pledge of allegience much less demanding they be fired.
Inconsistency.

Fun, ain't it?

It's all part of the delight and grandeur of the human condition.

She followed the proper protocal. You might have forgotten but we are a country that has freedom of religion. <snip>

There's some bakers in Oregon that might disagree with you.

We allow Conscientious Objectors to avoid being drafted because of their Religion, but let a Religious Baker refuse to bake a cake because of his religion?

Two different issues here.

A Muslim can refuse to properly salute the Flag because of her religion, but a Pizzaria owner answers a HYPOTHETICAL question the wrong way, and...?

She did properly follow established protocal. It's not her fault that there is more than one proper way of doing it and she had no way of knowing that the way she did it, a perfectly acceptable tradition, would outrage wingnuts.

Yeah, I know how you people work.... Freedom for me, not for thee.

Not only that, but the gay mafia has now threatened GoFundMe into cancelling the accounts for the oppressed religion

dims are what they are

It's not a freedom issue.

Forum List

Back