Muggereidge on the Obama Era

PoliticalChic

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Oct 6, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
1. Those of us who read history are astounded by how regularly we see repeating patterns. And, with the impending election, I can hear the echoes of Malcolm Muggeridge’s observations of the liberal elites and their espousal of Soviet Communism.

2. “Muggeridge was one of the few western journalists to recognize the evil of Soviet Communism when most western thinkers were still taken in by the utopian promises of Marxism. For his honest reporting on the Stalinist show trials he lost his job and was blacklisted for a time. He never lost his critical touch.” Malcolm Muggeridge -- The Great Liberal Death Wish

3. He discusses, fondly, his earliest views of Left-wing images: “…my first memories of a serious conversation about our circumstances in the world. I used to hide in a big chair and hope not to be noticed, because I was so interested. And I accepted completely the views of these good men, that once they were able to shape the world as they wanted it to be, they would create a perfect state of affairs in which peace would reign, prosperity would expand, men would be brotherly, and considerate, and there would be no exploitation of man by man, nor any ruthless oppression of individuals. And I firmly believed that, once their plans were fulfilled, we would realize an idyllic state of affairs of such a nature. They were good men, they were honest men, they were sincere men. …. I was entirely convinced that such a brotherly, contented, loving society would come to pass once they were able to establish themselves in power…. dream of how you could transform human society so that human beings, instead of maltreating one another and exploiting one another, would be like brothers.”

a. This has always been the Left's belief. And, certainly, most of our Left-wing colleagues, Obama supporters, the same.

4. “Inevitably, my father's heroes were the great intellectuals of the time, who banded themselves together in what was called the Fabian Society, of which he was a member—a very active member. For instance, Bernard Shaw, H. G. Wells, Harold Laski, people of that sort. All the leftist elite, like Sydney and Beatrice Webb, belonged to this Fabian Society, and in my father's eyes they were princes among men. I accepted his judgment.”

5. “I looked across at the USSR with a sort of longing, thinking that there was an alternative, some other way in which people could live, and I managed to maneuver matters so that I was sent to Moscow as the Guardian correspondent, arriving there fully prepared to see in the Soviet regime the answer to all our troubles, only to discover in a very short time that though it might be an answer, it was a very unattractive one.”

a. Muggeridge goes on to explain, not only how horrible the Soviet Union really was, but how “[t]he thing that impressed me, and the thing that touched off my awareness of the great liberal death wish, my sense that western man was, as it were, sleep-walking into his own ruin, was the extraordinary performance of the liberal intelligentsia, who, in those days, flocked to Moscow like pilgrims to Mecca. And they were one and all utterly delighted and excited by what they saw there. Clergymen walked serenely and happily through the anti-god museums, politicians claimed that no system of society could possibly be more equitable and just, lawyers admired Soviet justice, and economists praised the Soviet economy.”
Hillsdale College - Imprimis Issue

So, staring at the untruths, the failures of this administration, there is the same Liberal intelligentsia, doing what they do best…

…denying reality.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back