Hiroshima drew the short straw

ginscpy

Sep 10, 2010
Been watching Above and Beyond - 1952 starring Robert Taylor - about the Mahhattan Project andthe dropping of the first A-Bomb.

While the Enola Gay was still in the air - it was up in the air which city would be wipedout - due to visibilty.

Hiroshima had thebest visibility - they were a secondary target.

Thats how warsare won - beingmerciless and unrelenting................

That was the exact quote in the movie - not sure it was historically accurate.

Last edited:
The dirty little secret is that the Japanese were defeated and they knew it. Their navy was gone and they didn't have the air power to resist 24/7 bombing raids on the mainland. They were trying to negotiate terms of surrender but Harry Truman refused to talk. The hangup was preserving the emperor and not executing him. The ironic thing is that the US did preserve the emperor and did not execute him but that was after we dropped two Big Ones on defenseless citizens.

The dirty little secret is that the Japanese were defeated and they knew it. Their navy was gone and they didn't have the air power to resist 24/7 bombing raids on the mainland. They were trying to negotiate terms of surrender but Harry Truman refused to talk. The hangup was preserving the emperor and not executing him. The ironic thing is that the US did preserve the emperor and did not execute him but that was after we dropped two Big Ones on defenseless citizens.

If the Japs knew they were defeated - then they should have negiated faster.

Were simply playing games and stalling for time to let the Russians get involved.

Were simply playing games and stalling for time to let the Russians get involved.

U.S. cut off all negotiations.

The biggest act of Terrorism ever.

The projected losses of an Invasion were estimated to be 1 million allied casualties with over 100000 dead. For Japan it was likely a civilization ender. The plans by Japan had all able bodied civilians arming themselves with bamboo spears and human wave attacking the landing sites. MILLIONS would have died.

And no Japan had no intention of surrendering before the second atomic bomb was dropped. The Army ran the Government and the only "offer" they made was a ceasefire and return to the Borders of Nov 1941.

Do I need to link my source documents again?

Simple NOT true.

Source documents.

The Atomic Bomb and the End of World War II: A Collection of Primary Sources

The Japanese even after one atomic bomb demanded more then keeping the Emperor. The only reason they surrendered after the second was because the Emperor intervened and ordered it and THEN the Army tried a coup against the supposed living God Emperor.

U.S. cut off all negotiations.

Simply NOT true.

"It is my opinion that the use of this barbarous weapon at Hiroshima and Nagasaki was of no material assistance in our war against Japan. The Japanese were already defeated and ready to surrender because of the effective sea blockade and the successful bombing with conventional weapons.

"The lethal possibilities of atomic warfare in the future are frightening. My own feeling was that in being the first to use it, we had adopted an ethical standard common to the barbarians of the Dark Ages. I was not taught to make war in that fashion, and wars cannot be won by destroying women and children."

ADMIRAL WILLIAM D. LEAHY
(Chief of Staff to Presidents Franklin Roosevelt and Harry Truman)

They were running out of targets after all of the fire-bombings

"It is my opinion that the use of this barbarous weapon at Hiroshima and Nagasaki was of no material assistance in our war against Japan. The Japanese were already defeated and ready to surrender because of the effective sea blockade and the successful bombing with conventional weapons.

"The lethal possibilities of atomic warfare in the future are frightening. My own feeling was that in being the first to use it, we had adopted an ethical standard common to the barbarians of the Dark Ages. I was not taught to make war in that fashion, and wars cannot be won by destroying women and children."

ADMIRAL WILLIAM D. LEAHY

His opinion is just that an OPINION. And it is not backed up with the FACTS. Even after one atomic bomb was dropped the ruling Council REFUSED to surrender and demanded basically a ceasefire with a return to Nov 1941 start lines. No troops in Japan and no lose of Chinese or Korean captured territory.

Even after months of none stop bombing, almost no shipping, winter coming and no way to feed the people or heat their homes the Japanese Army REFUSED to surrender and had no intention of surrendering. It even began cutting bamboo to provide spears to the civilians to human wave attack the landing sites. It had convinced the population that its enemies were monsters and that they should kill themselves rather then surrender. Saipan, Okinawa all provided adequate proof that the Civilians believed the Government.

ADMIRAL WILLIAM D. LEAHY

His opinion is just that an OPINION. And it is not backed up with the FACTS. Even after one atomic bomb was dropped the ruling Council REFUSED to surrender and demanded basically a ceasefire with a return to Nov 1941 start lines. No troops in Japan and no lose of Chinese or Korean captured territory.

Even after months of none stop bombing, almost no shipping, winter coming and no way to feed the people or heat their homes the Japanese Army REFUSED to surrender and had no intention of surrendering. It even began cutting bamboo to provide spears to the civilians to human wave attack the landing sites. It had convinced the population that its enemies were monsters and that they should kill themselves rather then surrender. Saipan, Okinawa all provided adequate proof that the Civilians believed the Government.

OMG You are trying to tell me the top Military officer and advisor to Roosevelt and Truman didn't have the facts? Now you're just being ridiculous.

How do you "negotiate faster" when the victorious government won't even negotiate simple terms?

ADMIRAL WILLIAM D. LEAHY

OMG You are trying to tell me the top Military officer and advisor to Roosevelt and Truman didn't have the facts? Now you're just being ridiculous.

I have SOURCE DOCUMENTS that prove the Japanese were not willing to surrender. You do know what a SOURCE document is, right? The facts do not support the opinion. Yes if they were reasonable men they would have surrendered, but the REALITY is that even after MONTHS of none stop bombing and 2 Atomic bombs the Ruling Government REFUSED to surrender. The ONLY reason a surrender occurred is because the Emperor intervened after the second Atomic Bomb. And even then the Army tried to stage a Coup to prevent him from stopping the war.

How do you "negotiate faster" when the victorious government won't even negotiate simple terms?

Simple terms? The Japanese Government was only willing to agree to a ceasefire and a pull back to Nov 1941 lines. No occupation, no foreign troops ever on Japanese soil, no lose of Chinese or Korean land. EVEN after a 2nd bomb was dropped that is what the Government DEMANDED. ANd when the Emperor over ruled them they staged a Coup to stop what they considered to be a LIVING God from stopping the war.

Forum List

Back