MRA gets it wrong on mental health gun bill

We aren't talking about a nut case who happens to be a neighbor. Who are we to judge what is crazy unless they commit a crime? We are talking about people who admit that they are suffering from a mental illness so severe that they are awarded a disability by the government. The Attorney General and the Pentagon signs off on PTSD disability cases and presumably there are psychiatrists employed by the federal government who testify to the mental incompetence of PTSD patients. Which ones should be allowed to purchase a firearm? Mild PTSD patients or drooling psychopaths?

Come on Whitehall. The government hands stuff out like candy. It is not a serious and thorough evaluation AND it can be for silly thinks like headaches and nightmares.

Don't be a Gun Grabber.

We aren't talking about a nut case who happens to be a neighbor. Who are we to judge what is crazy unless they commit a crime? We are talking about people who admit that they are suffering from a mental illness so severe that they are awarded a disability by the government. The Attorney General and the Pentagon signs off on PTSD disability cases and presumably there are psychiatrists employed by the federal government who testify to the mental incompetence of PTSD patients. Which ones should be allowed to purchase a firearm? Mild PTSD patients or drooling psychopaths?

Come on Whitehall. The government hands stuff out like candy. It is not a serious and thorough evaluation AND it can be for silly thinks like headaches and nightmares.

Don't be a Gun Grabber.

If I was willing to sacrifice my honor and my service for a V.A. check I might have tried the nightmares and headaches rout but I didn't. I suppose a V.A. disability check is a sanctioned way to make a buck if you weren't wounded and you need the bucks to support your family. I don't have a problem with V.A. disability nor do I want to get involved with V.A. disability awards. My point is that society has a responsibility to not allow admitted mentally impaired people from possessing a firearm.

Don't be a Gun Grabber.

If I was willing to sacrifice my honor and my service for a V.A. check I might have tried the nightmares and headaches rout but I didn't. I suppose a V.A. disability check is a sanctioned way to make a buck if you weren't wounded and you need the bucks to support your family. I don't have a problem with V.A. disability nor do I want to get involved with V.A. disability awards. My point is that society has a responsibility to not allow admitted mentally impaired people from possessing a firearm.

Again for the slow and terminally stupid..... A Judge is required to strip rights. You want someone stripped of their rights get a Judge to do so. They get their day in Court.

Don't be a Gun Grabber.

Again for the slow and terminally stupid..... A Judge is required to strip rights. You want someone stripped of their rights get a Judge to do so. They get their day in Court.

Why do you keep repeating the mantra about judges? A judge is not required to determine the mental capability of persons who are awarded PTSD pensions. A judge is only required to put them in a freaking nut house if their situation becomes severe enough. If the law stipulates that people who are undergoing psychiatric care, which seems to be the way the BATF forms indicate, the burden is on the patient to prove that their psychiatric illness is not a threat to society. I'd be satisfied if a federal psychiatric disability panel signed off on their patient being fit to purchase and possess a firearm.

Why do you keep repeating the mantra about judges? A judge is not required to determine the mental capability of persons who are awarded PTSD pensions. A judge is only required to put them in a freaking nut house if their situation becomes severe enough. If the law stipulates that people who are undergoing psychiatric care, which seems to be the way the BATF forms indicate, the burden is on the patient to prove that their psychiatric illness is not a threat to society. I'd be satisfied if a federal psychiatric disability panel signed off on their patient being fit to purchase and possess a firearm.

The point is, do not strip people of Constitutional rights by use of some damned formula that any libtard could twist to fit any situation.

and you know that is exactly what the gun grabbing fascists will do with laws that support this kind of crap.

Get a judge to sign his name on the document that the guy is crazy and then take the guns. But the feds are encouraging all veterans to get help with PTDS. If just signing up for this shit is enough to get your gun rights ripped from you then veterans will not seek thehelp they truly need.

The point is, do not strip people of Constitutional rights by use of some damned formula that any libtard could twist to fit any situation.

and you know that is exactly what the gun grabbing fascists will do with laws that support this kind of crap.

Get a judge to sign his name on the document that the guy is crazy and then take the guns. But the feds are encouraging all veterans to get help with PTDS. If just signing up for this shit is enough to get your gun rights ripped from you then veterans will not seek thehelp they truly need.

Everybody knows that the 2nd Amendment has it's limitations like every other freedom we enjoy. We can't own or convert firearms to fully automatic without a special permit, you can't cut the barrel of a rifle or shotgun shorter than a specific length or face federal charges and convicted felons are prohibited from possessing firearms. The BATF regulations specify that persons who are undergoing psychiatric therapy have to fill out a box on the firearms application. Americans saw at least three high profile mass shootings by nut case psychiatric patients in the last couple of years and the NRA agrees that psychiatric records should be part of the instant name check. I'd be satisfied if some federal psychiatric agency related to the V.A would sign off on each and every PTSS patient that they were certified to purchase and possess a firearm. Is that too much to ask?

That's not true. The government restricts the possession of firearms for all sorts of reasons related to mental incompetence. Read an ATF application for the purchase of a firearm. You are not doing the Nation a service by allowing Veterans or anyone else to possess firearms who admit to being so mentally impaired that the government awards them a pension.

Unless charged with a domestic violence charge, convicted of a felony, or ordered by a Judge as incompetent or required to stay at a mental facility, no one loses their rights.

You don't like the law? To damn bad.

Even those that have the restrictions can still get guns.

That's not true. The government restricts the possession of firearms for all sorts of reasons related to mental incompetence. Read an ATF application for the purchase of a firearm. You are not doing the Nation a service by allowing Veterans or anyone else to possess firearms who admit to being so mentally impaired that the government awards them a pension.

Unless charged with a domestic violence charge, convicted of a felony, or ordered by a Judge as incompetent or required to stay at a mental facility, no one loses their rights.

Yeah right ass-glow but the original thread was that the NRA was amazingly criticized for wanting to restrict gun ownership by crazy people. The most notorious and perhaps most under reported college shooting in history happened because the Va. politicians decided that mental health privacy should not be part of the instant name check. For other reasons including negligence by the local Police the Va. Tech maniac was able to purchase and possess weapons even though the entire freaking administration was afraid of him. Forty years ago the radical left was spitting on combat Veterans and now the un-informed left thinks they are doing Veterans a favor if they authorize psychiatric Veteran patients to purchase firearms. All I ask is that there might be a psychiatric V.A. panel that signs off on the thousands of PTSS admitted crazies who live among us.

Everybody knows that the 2nd Amendment has it's limitations like every other freedom we enjoy. We can't own or convert firearms to fully automatic without a special permit, you can't cut the barrel of a rifle or shotgun shorter than a specific length or face federal charges and convicted felons are prohibited from possessing firearms. The BATF regulations specify that persons who are undergoing psychiatric therapy have to fill out a box on the firearms application. Americans saw at least three high profile mass shootings by nut case psychiatric patients in the last couple of years and the NRA agrees that psychiatric records should be part of the instant name check. I'd be satisfied if some federal psychiatric agency related to the V.A would sign off on each and every PTSS patient that they were certified to purchase and possess a firearm. Is that too much to ask?

If the VA recommended the person be considered too dangerous and a judge signs off, I am OK with that, and agree with all the rest.

But no judge, then no grabbing of guns or loss of rights. Everyone is entitled to due process, and for this I think a judge signing off on it is minimum protection of civil rights.

But though you mention this in regards to the high school shootings, how many of them were vets with PTSD? I don't think any were, so why bring it up?

Yeah right ass-glow but the original thread was that the NRA was amazingly criticized for wanting to restrict gun ownership by crazy people.

I do not think it appropriate nor accurate to label veterans with PTSD as 'crazy people'. Some are, but the vast majority are not.

The Navy Yard shooter was involved in two shootings in the past, claimed to be suffering from PTSD and yet was able to enter a secure area barely a mile from the White House with a rifle and murder 12 people. How many things are wrong with this picture?

Forum List

Back