Mouse Homosexuality Linked to Genes

Sexual orientation cannot be tied to any one factor, but evidence supports the conclusion that environment has a greater impact than genes.

Most who possess a Y chromosome have a sexual attraction to to females. Most who do not, or whose Y chromosome is not active, have a sexual attraction to males.

This is true across species.

The only logical conclusion is that genetics are a dominant factor in sexuality and sexual preference.

I tend to believe most,if not all, of that.
However, I have never known anyone that chooses to be persecuted and treated as a second class citizen as homosexuals were for centuries.
Accordingly, it may not be genetic but it is definitely not by choice. If it ain't genetic then what else is it when you are born that way?
Did you choose your sexual orientatation? No offense but I never did. I was born with mine.
That is how it works with sexual orientation. I know no one that chose so so how could it be choice?

See, I never said it was a choice, although I believe that choice is part of it. Science is pretty split on the issue of free will, and I am now considering coming down somewhere in the middle, some people have free will, and some don't.

I know one homosexual who insist that he made the choice, despite the possibility of persecution, I also know more who insist that they did not have a choice. Thinking back myself I always liked what I like sexually, but I also believe I choose what I actually do. The debate about free will is one that is not going to be solved anytime soon.

Let us assume that sexuality is not a choice, and that it is not genetic. It could be a result of chemical reactions in the womb from the mothers diet, or something that happens after the child is born. It could be environmental and still not be choice, or it could simply be a random fact in child development and independent of environment or genetics. The latter seems unlikely though.

No, what you claim is the unlikely.
What is likely is that they are born that way. I was and you were.
No one chooses sexual orientation.

That is your position, however there are those, including some homosexuals, that disagree. Some of them insist they made a conscious choice, are they lying? If so, why?

See, I never said it was a choice, although I believe that choice is part of it. Science is pretty split on the issue of free will, and I am now considering coming down somewhere in the middle, some people have free will, and some don't.

I know one homosexual who insist that he made the choice, despite the possibility of persecution, I also know more who insist that they did not have a choice. Thinking back myself I always liked what I like sexually, but I also believe I choose what I actually do. The debate about free will is one that is not going to be solved anytime soon.

Let us assume that sexuality is not a choice, and that it is not genetic. It could be a result of chemical reactions in the womb from the mothers diet, or something that happens after the child is born. It could be environmental and still not be choice, or it could simply be a random fact in child development and independent of environment or genetics. The latter seems unlikely though.

That is your position, however there are those, including some homosexuals, that disagree. Some of them insist they made a conscious choice, are they lying? If so, why?
No, what you are, or were, claiming is that is the likely scenario.
Now you have twisted your story once again and the newest version is "some homosexuals".
Now tell us how some is the most likely as you claimed before. You stated it. All I ask is why you changed your mind and when will it change again.

Please describe how genes provide for a person to be born with blonde hair and become an adult with brown hair. Document all possible variables, and accurately chart the entire process.

Has anyone found a prion yet? Last time I looked prions were used to describe certain diseases and their effect on genes, but no one has actually found one, and proven how it works. Your insistence that genetics is advanced enough to accurately describe everything that happens is disingenuous. We will get there someday, but we are no there yet.

Prions are proteins that induce, through electromagnetic force, other proteins to go from the alpha helix configuration to b-pleated sheets that stack up and result in the holes in the brain. We know the etiology and pathology of them and we can sequence them through electrophoresis and a variety of other techniques.

Prions have nothing to do with DNA.

I am sorry, but I find the rest of your comments too banal to even respond too.

Has anyone actually found a prion?

Yes.

Detection of prion protein using a capillary elect... [Electrophoresis. 2005] - PubMed result

Please describe how genes provide for a person to be born with blonde hair and become an adult with brown hair. Document all possible variables, and accurately chart the entire process.

Has anyone found a prion yet? Last time I looked prions were used to describe certain diseases and their effect on genes, but no one has actually found one, and proven how it works. Your insistence that genetics is advanced enough to accurately describe everything that happens is disingenuous. We will get there someday, but we are no there yet.

Prions are proteins that induce, through electromagnetic force, other proteins to go from the alpha helix configuration to b-pleated sheets that stack up and result in the holes in the brain. We know the etiology and pathology of them and we can sequence them through electrophoresis and a variety of other techniques.

No, but I have hunted snipe.

That is one of my fondest memories of my dad. Ever been snipe hunting? :lol:

Immie

Now you have twisted your story once again and the newest version is "some homosexuals".
Now tell us how some is the most likely as you claimed before. You stated it. All I ask is why you changed your mind and when will it change again.

You asked what made a person homosexual if it is not genetic, and not a choice. I provided a few possibilities in no particular order, while stating that my belief that it is a choice. Since I can clearly point to some people who are homosexuals who believe, as I do, that it is a choice, and can even point to some who know when they made that choice, anyone who disagrees with them has to deal with what they claim is true for them.

So far my mind has not changed. The only thing I have done is point out that I can understand other positions, even if I disagree with them.

Yes.

Detection of prion protein using a capillary elect... [Electrophoresis. 2005] - PubMed result

Prion proteins are not prions, something you should know. It took me a while to find the difference between them, but you claim to have a medical background.

You asked what made a person homosexual if it is not genetic, and not a choice. I provided a few possibilities in no particular order, while stating that my belief that it is a choice. Since I can clearly point to some people who are homosexuals who believe, as I do, that it is a choice, and can even point to some who know when they made that choice, anyone who disagrees with them has to deal with what they claim is true for them.

So far my mind has not changed. The only thing I have done is point out that I can understand other positions, even if I disagree with them.

Ok, but from your post I thought you were stating that it was unlikely anything other than choice.

Heard of Bi-sexuality?

I just read an article on bisexuality.

It said there wasn't much known about it because most sexuality studies avoided the issue, as it pretty much nixed any running theory about sexuality. So nobody studies it.

Interesting, and just how did they get the gay mice to reproduce? Mice figure out surrogate parenting? Did they give the mice massive doses of cocaine first? One mouse peeing on another mouse, may or may not be mouse sex. Just saying.

Last edited:
Interesting, and just how did they get the gay mice to reproduce? Mice figure out surrogate parenting? Did they give the mice massive doses of cocaine first? One mouse peeing on another mouse, may or may not be mouse sex. Just saying.

Are you saying there aren't enough straight mouse out there to maintain the species?

Are you saying there aren't enough straight mouse out there to maintain the species?

No, I'm saying gay mice don't reproduce, so how do they pass the genes along? I don't imagine gay mice are too concerned about coming out.

No, I'm saying gay mice don't reproduce, so how do they pass the genes along? I don't imagine gay mice are too concerned about coming out.

True...because the straight mice don't harass them, ostracize them, or even beat them up.

Forum List

Back