Motivation and incentives?

MtnBiker said:
What motivates people to do there job and do it well? What are the best incentives for a job well done?

Respect, financial compensation, and as much job security as you can realistically offer. I'm assuming they already enjoy what they are doing.

I would agree with that for the most part. I would suspect that there are many people doing jobs that they do not completely enjoy.

The financial compotent in interesting, how do most people achieve the level of compensation they desire?

dilloduck said:
Respect, financial compensation, and as much job security as you can realistically offer. I'm assuming they already enjoy what they are doing.

Also benefits would fall into the financial compenstatoin package...

Rewarding success is important.

That is probably why collectivist governments fails miserably and usually result in mass murder and bloodshed

MtnBiker said:
What motivates people to do there job and do it well? What are the best incentives for a job well done?

Motivation - the work itself, if it's interesting then people will do well at it. If it's simple, boring and repetititive they've not going to be motivated to do a great job.

Incentives - fair pay, fair conditions at work, fair supervision, recognition, reasonable promotion opportunities.

MtnBiker said:

Self-satisfaction, and a damn nice paycheck. :D

Diuretic said:
Motivation - the work itself, if it's interesting then people will do well at it. If it's simple, boring and repetititive they've not going to be motivated to do a great job.

I would agree with that. Are there some public service jobs that may not be interesting, ie garbage collector, toll booth attendent, mail room?

MtnBiker said:
I would agree with that. Are there some public service jobs that may not be interesting, ie garbage collector, toll booth attendent, mail room?

I would say that you have just outlined one of the incentives for getting a college education.

MtnBiker said:
What insures a damn nice paycheck?

A job well done, and the inability to just be "content" with where you started - always wanting to see what happens if you take another step forward.

MtnBiker said:

Public or private, I don't think it really matters. There are some jobs that are just inherently boring and don't give the person performing the job any motivation. In those instances I think that people just get on with it and look to their time off for motivating activities. Pretty crappy but someone has to do it.

Powerman said:
I would say that you have just outlined one of the incentives for getting a college education.

If someone's capable of it, definitely. It's a truism that the better the education the better the chances of getting a rewarding job.

Shattered said:
A job well done, and the inability to just be "content" with where you started - always wanting to see what happens if you take another step forward.

An old boss of mine referred to that as "happy feet", meaning a person that was happy doing their job but wanted to move up and progress within whatever employment situation he or she had. In fact an example was given about the asistant manager had happy feet. He now owns his own business making a unique product and does very well for himself.

MtnBiker said:
An old boss of mine referred to that as "happy feet", meaning a person that was happy doing their job but wanted to move up and progress within whatever employment situation he or she had. In fact an example was given about the assitant manager had happy feet. He now owns his own business making a unique product and does very well for himself.

See? It works. :D

Shattered said:
See? It works. :D

In that case, yes. He was a very self motivated person and performed what ever task at hand the best he could. I believe he cultivated a work history that helped him suceed. BTW he was highschool educated, some college only a few years.

However I do agree, a futher education is a good thing.

why do you work where you work?

my staff tells me that it is because i care about them, i am honest with them, i reward those that desreve it and reprimand those that don't, i do my best to leave them alone to do their job to the best of their abilty, that i am there to help them and if something goes well they get all the credit and if something goes wrong i step in and take the bullit.

$$$$$$$$$

Thats what makes the world go round. How many people are in their dream job? Maybe 1% of the population if that. So the rest of us slobs find a job we can stand enough that pays the bills. The worse the job, the higher the pay it takes for someone to tolerate it. Less strenuous job, people are willing to do it for less money. Its all about greenbacks. I consider benefits part of that. Many people work shit jobs with low wage just to get the benefits. Its what makes the world go round.

Forum List

Back