Most popular dance tunes that Influenced what we listen to.

Beginning in 1920 a band leader named Paul Whiteman had a series of hits starting with his VICTOR RECORD release of WHISPERING, an eleven-week U.S. No. 1 hit, which remained 20 weeks in the charts and sold in excess of 2,000.000 copies. This tune would be recorded 100's of times and would hit the charts again in the early 1960's twice.

Another was WANG WANG BLUES of the same year. Paul Whiteman would remain popular throughout the decade.

There is no saying that Whiteman was not a innovator. He was not limited to a particular "sound," and he certainly promoted variety --- as this hit also of 1920 will testify.

Last edited:
1921 was another banner year for Paul Whiteman. Say It With Music became another hit. These are lyrics to Irving Berlin's tune.

[1st verse:]
Music is a language lovers understand
Melody and romance wander hand in hand
Cupid never fails assisted by a band
So if you have something sweet to tell her

[Refrain:]
Say it with music
Beautiful music

Somehow they'd rather be kissed
To the strains of Chopin or Liszt

A melody mellow
Played on a cello

Helps mister Cupid along
So say it with a beautiful song

[2nd verse:]
There's a tender message deep down in my heart
Something you should know, but how am I to start?
Sentimental speeches never could impart
Just exactly what I want to tell you

Last edited:
It was Paul Whiteman again in 1922 with STUMBLING (Fox Trot). Paul Whiteman was accused of trying to make a "Lady" out of Jazz. However, what Whiteman achieved were consistent performances and a refinement of sound. He was often the first exposure to jazz that many people of that day happened upon. He certainly became a millionaire and sold record after record. You must also consider the FACT that all these early recordings had to be recorded in one cut. If a mistake was made, the recording was ruined and a retake was necessary. So, only musicians who gave consistent perfect performances were retained... Yes, they did practice and tial takes might be recorded to finetune an arrangement. But multitracks and dubbing were still decades away.

We also have the tune "CHICAGO". Here are 3 renditions from that year --- Paul Whiteman is first.

The Georgians version is next.
Finally we have the Bar Harbor Society version.

The Fox Trot has remained popular since its inception.

Last edited:
Yes! We Have No Bananas is a novelty song by Frank Silver and Irving Cohn published July 19, 1923. It became a major hit in 1923 (placing No. 1 for five weeks)

And there is also a tune surrounding a popular comic strip character of that day!

Last edited:
1924 marks the end of an era. Acoustical recording was about to be replaced with ELECTRICAL recording. The playback would continue to be acoustic; however, there was a change there also with Orthophonic machines which boasted a 9 foot horn which was folded inside the cabinet and a delicate aluminum diaphragm.
The big hit of 1924 was It Had to be You, which remains a standard to this day.

And also THE CHARLESTON also acoustically recorded.

Last edited:
1925 we have YES SIR, THAT's MY BABY sung by Gene Austin Who says our great grandparents didn't have fun! Ukulele and Skatting besides!

Then there was also the college crowd

Last edited:
To put this into some perspective, it must be realized that Hugh Beaumont (who played Ward Cleaver on Leave it to Beaver -- the stauch family man) would turned 17 years old in 1926 and June (Barbara Billingsley) his wife would have been barely 10.

Last edited:
The Ziegfeld Follies of 1927 would have Eddie Cantor introduce another standard. Paul Whiteman would have a #1 hit of it in December of that year and Gene Austin would continue by making it a hit in '28. Here is Paul Whitman's version. Note the VE at the top of the "scroll" Victor label. This means that this is a VICTOR ELECTRIC recording & and an Orthophonic one at that! Here is MY BLUE HEAVEN

We also have VARSITY DRAG from a mostly forgotten Broadway Musical GOOD NEWS!
Following is a rare Talky "Short" from 1927. Talking pictures had existed for sometime but not as full length features. The Jazz Singer would end this and talking pictures would become all the rage. It could be regarded that the electric recording process made talking pictures more likely convenient.

Last edited:
In 1928 Helen Kane becomes the Boop-boop-a-doop girl and the inspiration for BETTY BOOP!
I WANT TO BE LOVED BY YOU was an instant hit from Oscar Hammerstein's 1928 show Good Boy
RAMONA was written as a score for a movie in 1928 by that name (based on a novel of the same title) It would be a 8 week number one hit for Gene Austin (remaining on the charts for 17 weeks). Later that year Paul Whitman would make it a number 1 hit for 3 weeks. I would be recorded and recorded, becoming a hit once again the 1960's

Also in 1928 we have The Three Penny Opera and the song MACK THE KNIFE was a hit. Here is the original version in German

Last edited:
SINGIN' in the RAIN was published in 1929 but may have existed as early as 1927. There is an exuberance but there are storm clouds on the horizon and so this song is fitting. This is from the movie Hollywood Review of 1929. In hindsight an ark would not have been such a bad idea!

This movie was done in the a 2 part color version. So they did actually have both color and sound possibilities, as the second selection will also demonstrate.

Another color film being the Gold Diggers of Broadway -- also from 1929 and introducing another hit published that year TIPTOE THROUGH THE TULIPS. This film was thought to be entirely lost; however, a few portions have been rediscovered, and we can get a glimpse of that lost movie. This color process was very expensive and so with the arrival of the broadening DEPRESSION, such extravagances would have to wait another ten years.

So here is Nick Lucas singing the song he wrote and made famous:

Another big hit from that year (also in a movie of that year) is Ethel Waters singing AM I BLUE?

Last edited:
Well, we've made it to 1930. And a real popular tune from that year was BODY and SOUL. It has a good dance beat and a feeling of foreboding:

But all was not doom and gloom as there was also THE SUNNY SIDE of the STREET

So, let's GET HAPPY!

Last edited:
1931 would bring about tunes surrounding simple things but love was still a need even in a 5 & Dime.
And then there was Ozzie Nelson and his Orchestra (later 1950's Adventures of Ozzie & Harriet fame and their son Ricky Nelson) This hit would reappear again with Mama Cass singing it ---- DREAM A LITTLE DREAM

Last edited:
We've reached 1932 and the number one dance hit is NIGHT & DAY sung by Fred Astaire
This is an absolute GEM by Cole Porter

In 1934 Fred & Ginger would reprease their roles on the movie screen and into America's hearts!
Always the perfect dance couple!

And there is also WILLOW WEEP FOR ME which would be revived years later by Chad & Jeremy

Last edited:
In 1933 we have Ethel Waters with STORMY WEATHER --- a classic

Movies were having more and more influence on the listening habits of America. Warner Bros. made a hit with SHADOW WALTZ Gold Diggers of 1933 -- (Movie Clip) Shadow Waltz

THE LAST ROUND-UP hit the charts with at least 4 different versions of this song in the top 26 that year. Here is George Olsen's version (not the highest at 10 but very danceable). Other notables were Guy Lombardo, Victor Young and GENE AUTRY!

Last edited:
1934 we have the CONTINENTAL which would again be danced that year by Fred & Ginger. To dance like Mr Astaire and with Miss Rodgers!!!!!

And COCKTAILS FOR TWO would be a big hit twice. First as a movie tune and later in 1945 as comic relief by Spike Jones. Here is the original hit

And here is the genius of Spike Jones

And in 1934 we acquire WINTER WONDERLAND that reached into the top 10 for that year. Not a small feat for a seasonal recording. It has been recorded several 100 times since. Here is the original release!
ACCORDING TO JOEY NASH: I introduced “Winter Wonderland” on the air and on this Victor date [October 23, 1934] the band and I were scheduled to record it. Due to technical difficulties, time had run out and the session ended without the song being made. Himber had left the studio and the musicians were packing up. I so wanted to do this tune, I asked the band, as a favor to me, to try for a master. They agreed, but it would be a one-shot try. If something or someone fouled it up, well, that would be just too bad. (In those days, before tape recording, a rendition had to be faultless from start to end: if not, you had to do it again – and again.) It was a perfect performance…

Last edited:
1935 Fred and Ginger were again in the limelight. The number one undisputed smash hit that year was CHEEK TO CHEEK. And was recorded by multiple band and singers. There were no less than 5 versions that reached the charts that year alone! People wanted to dance and with them!

Last edited:
To put this into some perspective, it must be realized that Hugh Beaumont (who played Ward Cleaver on Leave it to Beaver -- the stauch family man) would turned 17 years old in 1926 and June (Barbara Billingsley) his wife would have been barely 10.
Did you hear about the new gay sitcom on TV?

Leave it, its Beaver!

Forum List

Back