Most annoying rumors about your religion

I get irritated when people refer to Baptists as ignorant, uneducated..and my personal favorite, call them holy rollers.

Maybe they should choose better spokespeople, because a lot of the time they sure come across as all three....

No, they don't. All you do is prove that you spout off about things you haven't bothered to actually look into.

What are the most annoying rumors you hear time and time again about your religion?

I'm an atheist and for me it would be that atheism is a religion or requires faith.

"religion-a set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe, esp. when considered as the creation of a superhuman agency or agencies, usually involving devotional and ritual observances, and often containing a moral code governing the conduct of human affairs."

Atheism makes no claims as to how life, the universe or anything got started. You can be an atheist and not believe in evolution or the big bang. Heck your answer could easily be 'I don't know, but I'm pretty sure there wasn't a God involved'.

It bothers me when people have the mistaken belief that Christianity is a religion of hate and intolerance.

Quite the opposite is true.

It also annoys me when people lump all people who "call themselves Christians" together, and will not accept that there are some who really are born again, and some who are not.

Hmmm........ When I was a child, there was a portion of this nation where these "born again" regarded lynchings as a weekend sport.

For me, the most annoying thing is being accused of 'attempting to cram my religion down somebody else's throat' simply because I want the freedom to exercise my faith myself or acknowledge the influence that religion has had on our national history, morals, values, customs, architecture, and laws.

I see. You are a Diest, then.

For me, the most annoying thing is being accused of 'attempting to cram my religion down somebody else's throat' simply because I want the freedom to exercise my faith myself or acknowledge the influence that religion has had on our national history, morals, values, customs, architecture, and laws.

I see. You are a Diest, then.

I am not the teensiest bit a Diest, but I would be fascinated to know how you came to that conclusion from my comment.

I get irritated when people refer to Baptists as ignorant, uneducated..and my personal favorite, call them holy rollers.
The silliest rumor I ever heard about your fringe Baptist sect is that you guys think you are directly descended from John the Baptist and never were a part of the Catholic Church.

The silliest rumor I ever heard about your fringe Baptist sect is that you guys think you are directly descended from John the Baptist and never were a part of the Catholic Church.

Some Baptists indeed may be descended from sects that were not part of the Roman Catholic Church. The Anabaptists for instance really were not part of the RCC and were heavily persecuted by the RCC (the pope excommunicated them), and were also persecuted by Protestants. Their direct descendants are the Amish, Huttites, and Mennonites, and most likely some of the baptist traditions.

I don't know any Baptists who believe they were descended from John the Baptist who, so far as we know, never married.

Most annoying rumor about my religion?

The rumor that the religious nutjobs are the majority instead of the minority.

Though I suppose the same could be said of any one.

What are the most annoying rumors you hear time and time again about your religion?

I'm an atheist and for me it would be that atheism is a religion or requires faith.

"religion-a set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe, esp. when considered as the creation of a superhuman agency or agencies, usually involving devotional and ritual observances, and often containing a moral code governing the conduct of human affairs."

Atheism makes no claims as to how life, the universe or anything got started. You can be an atheist and not believe in evolution or the big bang. Heck your answer could easily be 'I don't know, but I'm pretty sure there wasn't a God involved'.

SOME atheists are evangelists for non-faith.

SOME atheists employ science as ignorantly as some believers use their religious books to make their case.

Real atheists, atheists who aren't making a religion of their atheism, don't bother to debate the issue of GOD.

They KNOW it's pointless, and a waste of their time.

Since those faith-based evangelisizing atheists aren't really satisfied knowing they are right, they must attack religion to confirm their own beliefs,

Now seriously, how is militant atheism any less annoying that faith based evangelism?

I can't think of any way they're not the flip side of Bible thumpers.

True atheists simply do not give a damn if other people aren't.

Exactly ! That's why I'd rather be around religious people than Atheists. Most Atheists are as retarded as any other fundie religious person. I just live my life for me, and I respect a lot of things about all religions, as there are wise and positive teachings in all of them. But imo, many Atheists who're militant are that way because mommy forced them to go to church, or they're still rebelling. Or some other dumbass reasoin

Some Baptists indeed may be descended from sects that were not part of the Roman Catholic Church. The Anabaptists for instance really were not part of the RCC and were heavily persecuted by the RCC (the pope excommunicated them), and were also persecuted by Protestants. Their direct descendants are the Amish, Huttites, and Mennonites, and most likely some of the baptist traditions.

I don't know any Baptists who believe they were descended from John the Baptist who, so far as we know, never married.
All of the Protestant sects were protesting the RCC, including the Anabaptists.

The Anabaptists weren't protesting anybody. They just wanted to be left alone to do their own thing. They rejected Catholicism and all the Protestant groups. That's why they were persecuted by both. It simply isn't true that there were no Christian sects that were never part of the RCC.

I guess that would be that we all have horns growing out of our head. Or maybe its the claim that we all worship lizard people who live in the tunnels beneath Salt Lake City. Not sure where those ideas came from. But they are stupid as ill get out.

I guess that would be that we all have horns growing out of our head. Or maybe its the claim that we all worship lizard people who live in the tunnels beneath Salt Lake City. Not sure where those ideas came from. But they are stupid as ill get out.

Satanist? Seriously it helps if you'd say which religion you are (no offense to anyone here)

The Anabaptists weren't protesting anybody. They just wanted to be left alone to do their own thing. They rejected Catholicism and all the Protestant groups. That's why they were persecuted by both. It simply isn't true that there were no Christian sects that were never part of the RCC.
To reject it they had to have once been part of it. Which is my point. Baba claims her Baptist church was never part of the Catholic church, that it was established before the Catholic Church. There is no evidence to support this and lots to contradict it.
I suppose she could claim her church came from a pagan cult or Judaism as they did exist in Europe at the time the Baptist cults arose, but there is no evidence to support that theory either.

Forum List

Back