Most annoying rumors about your religion

What are the most annoying rumors you hear time and time again about your religion?

I'm an atheist and for me it would be that atheism is a religion or requires faith.

"religion-a set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe, esp. when considered as the creation of a superhuman agency or agencies, usually involving devotional and ritual observances, and often containing a moral code governing the conduct of human affairs."

Atheism makes no claims as to how life, the universe or anything got started. You can be an atheist and not believe in evolution or the big bang. Heck your answer could easily be 'I don't know, but I'm pretty sure there wasn't a God involved'.

It bothers me when people have the mistaken belief that Christianity is a religion of hate and intolerance.

Quite the opposite is true.

It also annoys me when people lump all people who "call themselves Christians" together, and will not accept that there are some who really are born again, and some who are not.
So, are you saying a person is not a Christian unless they have been "born again" as a Christian? Or is that just a rumor?

The most annoying thing about religions is they all believe in spooks.

What are the most annoying rumors you hear time and time again about your religion?

I'm an atheist and for me it would be that atheism is a religion or requires faith.

"religion-a set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe, esp. when considered as the creation of a superhuman agency or agencies, usually involving devotional and ritual observances, and often containing a moral code governing the conduct of human affairs."

Atheism makes no claims as to how life, the universe or anything got started. You can be an atheist and not believe in evolution or the big bang. Heck your answer could easily be 'I don't know, but I'm pretty sure there wasn't a God involved'.

It bothers me when people have the mistaken belief that Christianity is a religion of hate and intolerance.

Quite the opposite is true.

It also annoys me when people lump all people who "call themselves Christians" together, and will not accept that there are some who really are born again, and some who are not.
So, are you saying a person is not a Christian unless they have been "born again" as a Christian? Or is that just a rumor?

According to Jesus, as written in the bible, "ye must be born again."

SOME atheists are evangelists for non-faith.

SOME atheists employ science as ignorantly as some believers use their religious books to make their case.

Real atheists, atheists who aren't making a religion of their atheism, don't bother to debate the issue of GOD.

They KNOW it's pointless, and a waste of their time.

Since those faith-based evangelisizing atheists aren't really satisfied knowing they are right, they must attack religion to confirm their own beliefs,

Now seriously, how is militant atheism any less annoying that faith based evangelism?

I can't think of any way they're not the flip side of Bible thumpers.

True atheists simply do not give a damn if other people aren't.

Last edited:

When I read the title..well your response is what I thought of for myself.
Better stated than I would have done I think though :)

SOME atheists are evangelists for non-faith.

SOME atheists employ science as ignorantly as some believers use their religious books to make their case.

Real atheists, atheists who aren't making a religion of their atheism, don't bother to debate the issue of GOD.

They KNOW it's pointless, and a waste of their time.

Since those faith-based evangelisizing atheists aren't really satisfied knowing they are right, they must attack religion to confirm their own beliefs,

Now seriously, how is militant atheism any less annoying that faith based evangelism?

I can't think of any way they're not the flip side of Bible thumpers.

True atheists simply do not give a damn if other people aren't.
And nobody gives a damn either what you think about evangelicals or atheists. :lol:

I've had Catholics tell me it's really irritating that other religions believe that the roots of Christianity are in cannibalism because they talk about drinking Christ's blood and eating bits of his body, raw.

too funny.....

What you think it qualifies as a religion?

The fact that you think it supercedes any other religion, is the only "correct" way of thinking, and that anyone who doesn't believe as you do is somehow less intelligent.

I get irritated when people refer to Baptists as ignorant, uneducated..and my personal favorite, call them holy rollers.

The most annoying thing about any religion is that each believes they are the only true religion and are willing to fight to the death in an attempt to prove their ridiculous claims.

I think Hitchens is an ass, but he nailed it with this one.

“No, nothing is sacred. And even if there were to be something called sacred, we mere primates wouldn’t be able to decide which book or which idol or which city was the truly holy one. Thus, the only thing that should be upheld at all costs and without qualification is the right of free expression, because if that goes, then so do all other claims of right as well.”
- Christopher Hitchens

For me, the most annoying thing is being accused of 'attempting to cram my religion down somebody else's throat' simply because I want the freedom to exercise my faith myself or acknowledge the influence that religion has had on our national history, morals, values, customs, architecture, and laws.

Forum List

Back