Most annoying rumors about your religion

Satanist? Seriously it helps if you'd say which religion you are (no offense to anyone here)

I'd have thought the "Salt Lake City" reference was a big clue.

I would have thought the hundreds of posts in the largest thread in this section would have given it away.

Well I know you're a Christian but I never knew what sect. And I can't think of a sect that is rumored to have devil horns and worship lizards.

Except maybe Catholicism.

What are the most annoying rumors you hear time and time again about your religion?

I'm an atheist and for me it would be that atheism is a religion or requires faith.

"religion-a set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe, esp. when considered as the creation of a superhuman agency or agencies, usually involving devotional and ritual observances, and often containing a moral code governing the conduct of human affairs."

Atheism makes no claims as to how life, the universe or anything got started. You can be an atheist and not believe in evolution or the big bang. Heck your answer could easily be 'I don't know, but I'm pretty sure there wasn't a God involved'.

It bothers me when people have the mistaken belief that Christianity is a religion of hate and intolerance.

Quite the opposite is true.

It also annoys me when people lump all people who "call themselves Christians" together, and will not accept that there are some who really are born again, and some who are not.

That whole "all Christians are the same" thing bugs me too. I get so tired of being expected to take responsibility for the half-assed statements of some lunatic I've never heard of, just because he calls himself a Christian.
I hate to break it too you, but you've got that backwards. You are the one whose posts make most decent Christians cringe.

It bothers me when people have the mistaken belief that Christianity is a religion of hate and intolerance.

It also annoys me when people lump all people who "call themselves Christians" together, and will not accept that there are some who really are born again, and some who are not.
So, are you saying a person is not a Christian unless they have been "born again" as a Christian? Or is that just a rumor?

I believe that's what Christ Himself said, so if you're not going to take the word of the One Christians claim to follow, whose can you take?
Christ said people should be born again as Christians? I think not. Jesus was a good little Jewish boy. You've been listening to the hangers-on and the profiteers.

So, are you saying a person is not a Christian unless they have been "born again" as a Christian? Or is that just a rumor?

I believe that's what Christ Himself said, so if you're not going to take the word of the One Christians claim to follow, whose can you take?
Christ said people should be born again as Christians? I think not. Jesus was a good little Jewish boy. You've been listening to the hangers-on and the profiteers.

The Bible does not say that "Christ said people should be born again as Christians?" Jesus said, "Ye must be born again..." He said nothing about "Christian." Christianity is really a completion of the Jewish faith.

What are the most annoying rumors you hear time and time again about your religion?

I'm an atheist and for me it would be that atheism is a religion or requires faith.

"religion-a set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe, esp. when considered as the creation of a superhuman agency or agencies, usually involving devotional and ritual observances, and often containing a moral code governing the conduct of human affairs."

Atheism makes no claims as to how life, the universe or anything got started. You can be an atheist and not believe in evolution or the big bang. Heck your answer could easily be 'I don't know, but I'm pretty sure there wasn't a God involved'.

That whole "all Christians are the same" thing bugs me too. I get so tired of being expected to take responsibility for the half-assed statements of some lunatic I've never heard of, just because he calls himself a Christian.

Also the actions of some extremist or nutcase who can be identified as a 'Christian'.

I think the media perpetuates that too. Whenever there is an issue with a 'moral value' flavor in the news, the news programs usually invite on a talking head or two to give the 'Christian' perspective. And almost always those talking heads will be the most polarizing, well known, and criticized people in Christendom. No wonder so many of the ignorant become evenmoreso. And no wonder that they sometimes see the extremist Christian right as driving an issue when that often is not the case.

Or if somebody claiming to be a Christian misbehaves, it is emphasized that he is a Christian and 'that's the way Christians are'. Nevermind that he might also be a Democrat or a member of the Lion's Club or an Elk or AARP or the VA or live in a particular town or state or any other of a gazillion things that are identified with us. It is just Christians that are tarred.

And that is annoying.

Last edited:

I hate to break it too you, but you've got that backwards. You are the one whose posts make most decent Christians cringe.

Coming from you, that means . . . absolutely nothing. Please do not delude yourself that YOUR approval and that of people like you is something I've ever sought.

They are speaking of the church of Paul.

The most annoying rumor as an atheist is the "There are no atheists in foxholes" myth

The idea that atheists will somehow see the error in their ways and convert when faced with death

The most annoying rumor as an atheist is the "There are no atheists in foxholes" myth

The idea that atheists will somehow see the error in their ways and convert when faced with death

Many do, that is why you see more elderly in church than youth.

I was in foxholes and atheist all the time.

Been shot and blown up a bit too.

that we give a rat's ass what other people believe

As a christian you are supposed to care and try and convert the heathens to the ways of rightiousness.

As a christian you are supposed to care and try and convert the heathens to the ways of rightiousness.

as a blue tongued skink you are supposed to be feeding on a wide variety of insects, gastropods, flowers, fruits and berries.

That anything anyone who claims to be Christian actually represents all Christians.

I think that's a common complaint in any belief system, but happens to Christians all the time.

Unlike a different belief system where those who actually follow what their holy books say...somehow they don't represent Islam.

oooops, did I say Islam?

That anything anyone who claims to be Christian actually represents all Christians.

I think that's a common complaint in any belief system, but happens to Christians all the time.

Unlike a different belief system where those who actually follow what their holy books say...somehow they don't represent Islam.

oooops, did I say Islam?

oooops, did i say asshole?

Really? Christ never said, "You must be born again"? Which Bible are YOU reading, Billy Graham?

John 3:

1There was a man of the Pharisees, named Nicodemus, a ruler of the Jews:

2The same came to Jesus by night, and said unto him, Rabbi, we know that thou art a teacher come from God: for no man can do these miracles that thou doest, except God be with him.

3Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God. (emphasis mine)

4Nicodemus saith unto him, How can a man be born when he is old? can he enter the second time into his mother's womb, and be born?

5Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.

And don't try to give me any of your word-parsing crap about "But He didn't say the word 'Christian'!" I'm very, very tired of your self-righteous false prophet routine. No true follower of Christ would try to pretend that being born again isn't integral to being a Christian.

Really? Christ never said, "You must be born again"? Which Bible are YOU reading, Billy Graham?

John 3:

1There was a man of the Pharisees, named Nicodemus, a ruler of the Jews:

2The same came to Jesus by night, and said unto him, Rabbi, we know that thou art a teacher come from God: for no man can do these miracles that thou doest, except God be with him.

3Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God. (emphasis mine)

4Nicodemus saith unto him, How can a man be born when he is old? can he enter the second time into his mother's womb, and be born?

5Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.

And don't try to give me any of your word-parsing crap about "But He didn't say the word 'Christian'!" I'm very, very tired of your self-righteous false prophet routine. No true follower of Christ would try to pretend that being born again isn't integral to being a Christian.

all heresay evidence.

The books making up the new testament were not started until after Jesus was dead.
Christianity is Paul's religion.

Forum List

Back