Most annoying rumors about your religion

For me, the most annoying thing is being accused of 'attempting to cram my religion down somebody else's throat' simply because I want the freedom to exercise my faith myself or acknowledge the influence that religion has had on our national history, morals, values, customs, architecture, and laws.

I see. You are a Diest, then.

I am not the teensiest bit a Diest, but I would be fascinated to know how you came to that conclusion from my comment.

he's not very bright

All of the Protestant sects were protesting the RCC, including the Anabaptists.

The Anabaptists weren't protesting anybody. They just wanted to be left alone to do their own thing. They rejected Catholicism and all the Protestant groups. That's why they were persecuted by both. It simply isn't true that there were no Christian sects that were never part of the RCC.
To reject it they had to have once been part of it. Which is my point. Baba claims her Baptist church was never part of the Catholic church, that it was established before the Catholic Church. There is no evidence to support this and lots to contradict it.
I suppose she could claim her church came from a pagan cult or Judaism as they did exist in Europe at the time the Baptist cults arose, but there is no evidence to support that theory either.

Jesus was a cult leader.

All religions start as cults, then a few become accepted religions or spinoff sects of other religions.

The Anabaptists weren't protesting anybody. They just wanted to be left alone to do their own thing. They rejected Catholicism and all the Protestant groups. That's why they were persecuted by both. It simply isn't true that there were no Christian sects that were never part of the RCC.
To reject it they had to have once been part of it. Which is my point. Baba claims her Baptist church was never part of the Catholic church, that it was established before the Catholic Church. There is no evidence to support this and lots to contradict it.
I suppose she could claim her church came from a pagan cult or Judaism as they did exist in Europe at the time the Baptist cults arose, but there is no evidence to support that theory either.

Jesus was a cult leader.

All religions start as cults, then a few become accepted religions or spinoff sects of other religions.

There is no indication that Jesus was establishing a new religion. Personally I think he was demonstrating that all religions based on rules or laws or ritual are flawed and that there is a better way. I think he is sometimes horrified that we turned Him into a religion based on rules, laws, and ritual.

Jesus was a cult leader.

There is no indication that Jesus was establishing a new religion. Personally I think he was demonstrating that all religions based on rules or laws or ritual are flawed and that there is a better way. I think he is sometimes horrified that we turned Him into a religion based on rules, laws, and ritual.

well aside from the vast crowds of followers and such I might agree.

Jesus was a cult leader.

well aside from the vast crowds of followers and such I might agree.

But they didn't see him as a 'new religion'. He was a Jew, descended from Jews, as were they, and he taught in the manner of the rabbis. It was a different message of course and that made him interesting and created the following. He could have just as easily been a great orator or poet or musician who also attracted following in those days. (Our days too.) What made him threatening to the authorities though was that he was trampling on their sacred cows and that couldn't be permitted. Much as some try to condemn or trash or personally destroy a charismatic figure who presumes to tread on sacred cows today.

I don't think a soul of that group saw it as a new or even different religion. I don't think Jesus' own disciples saw it that way, ever. The first Chrsitians saw Jesus as a fulfillment of prophecy and a fulfillment of Old Testament promises to the Jews, a continuation of the Jewish faith and a long, well learned narrative.

One cannot accurately understand the New Testament without a solid grounding in the Old Testament. But it isn't ever referred to as a JudeoChristian 'religion' but rather a JudeoChristian 'faith'. There is a difference between those two terms.

Most annoying rumor about my religion?

The rumor that the religious nutjobs are the majority instead of the minority.

Though I suppose the same could be said of any one.

Get this...I just un-friended someone from facebook because he told me to quit writing at his wall (hey, he invited ME as a friend, not the other way around. I've always thought he was a dick and I've known him 30 years.) He uses his wall to spout nonsense about organized religion and the people who have faith, accuses Chrsitians of..this is great....supporting "illegal wars", "torture" and insists that you can't be a Christian if you don't support gay marriage (sanctioned by the state) and national health care. In addition he says that those countries with national health care have better health care. He provided no supporting factoids to back up his statement, the discussion was a lengthy one which included people on both ends of the spectrum, very civilized.

So I posted. I said that forced charity is not considered charity at all, biblically speaking, asked him to provide the names of the churches who "support" torture and illegal wars, and explained to him that the only problem I have with gay marriage is the foothold it gives to the government, allowing them to get their foot into the doors of our churches, which is in direct conflict with our constitution, which provides for freedom of religion. The most bloody episodes in the world (well aside from the war between the states) have been because lunatics decided to mix government with religion, and started dictating what churches could do, what churches were acceptable, what they could preach, and providing them with governmental powers over the people. Legalize gay marriage and make it a violation of civil rights and guess what? They'll be shutting down churches and suing them and monitoring sermons and won't that be fun.

So he sent me a lenghthy and snotty message saying that I was a hypocrite because I didn't provide any evidence (let's talk hypocrisy...where the hell was his evidence? He had none! He was using liberal talking points all the way) and quoted some non-applicable biblical passages, and asked me to write further responses on my own wall, not his.

Screw him. I wrote my retort, complete with biblical passages and studies on the health care systems of countries with nationalized health care, took him off my friend list and said adios, fucker.

I personally think he was offended that I dared to write better than he does, and much more concisely. And I write about actualities, and don't relate everything to "myself" as if I'm the Dali Lama.

What a piece of shit.

Most annoying rumor about my religion?

The rumor that the religious nutjobs are the majority instead of the minority.

Though I suppose the same could be said of any one.

Get this...I just un-friended someone from facebook because he told me to quit writing at his wall (hey, he invited ME as a friend, not the other way around. I've always thought he was a dick and I've known him 30 years.) He uses his wall to spout nonsense about organized religion and the people who have faith, accuses Chrsitians of..this is great....supporting "illegal wars", "torture" and insists that you can't be a Christian if you don't support gay marriage (sanctioned by the state) and national health care. In addition he says that those countries with national health care have better health care. He provided no supporting factoids to back up his statement, the discussion was a lengthy one which included people on both ends of the spectrum, very civilized.

So I posted. I said that forced charity is not considered charity at all, biblically speaking, asked him to provide the names of the churches who "support" torture and illegal wars, and explained to him that the only problem I have with gay marriage is the foothold it gives to the government, allowing them to get their foot into the doors of our churches, which is in direct conflict with our constitution, which provides for freedom of religion. The most bloody episodes in the world (well aside from the war between the states) have been because lunatics decided to mix government with religion, and started dictating what churches could do, what churches were acceptable, what they could preach, and providing them with governmental powers over the people. Legalize gay marriage and make it a violation of civil rights and guess what? They'll be shutting down churches and suing them and monitoring sermons and won't that be fun.

So he sent me a lenghthy and snotty message saying that I was a hypocrite because I didn't provide any evidence (let's talk hypocrisy...where the hell was his evidence? He had none! He was using liberal talking points all the way) and quoted some non-applicable biblical passages, and asked me to write further responses on my own wall, not his.

Screw him. I wrote my retort, complete with biblical passages and studies on the health care systems of countries with nationalized health care, took him off my friend list and said adios, fucker.

I personally think he was offended that I dared to write better than he does, and much more concisely. And I write about actualities, and don't relate everything to "myself" as if I'm the Dali Lama.

What a piece of shit.
God Christians do not deface their friend's walls. You should have respected his request that you deface your own instead.

What are the most annoying rumors you hear time and time again about your religion?

I'm an atheist and for me it would be that atheism is a religion or requires faith.

"religion-a set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe, esp. when considered as the creation of a superhuman agency or agencies, usually involving devotional and ritual observances, and often containing a moral code governing the conduct of human affairs."

Atheism makes no claims as to how life, the universe or anything got started. You can be an atheist and not believe in evolution or the big bang. Heck your answer could easily be 'I don't know, but I'm pretty sure there wasn't a God involved'.

It bothers me when people have the mistaken belief that Christianity is a religion of hate and intolerance.

Quite the opposite is true.

It also annoys me when people lump all people who "call themselves Christians" together, and will not accept that there are some who really are born again, and some who are not.

Hmmm........ When I was a child, there was a portion of this nation where these "born again" regarded lynchings as a weekend sport.

I am sorry, but unless you can socument that, I will consider it one more piece of intentional misinformation.

The most annoying thing about any religion is that each believes they are the only true religion and are willing to fight to the death in an attempt to prove their ridiculous claims.

Maybe I misread the OP, but I was sure that it wasn't "Please come here and dump your personal religious bigotry." Perhaps I was wrong.

What are the most annoying rumors you hear time and time again about your religion?

I'm an atheist and for me it would be that atheism is a religion or requires faith.

"religion-a set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe, esp. when considered as the creation of a superhuman agency or agencies, usually involving devotional and ritual observances, and often containing a moral code governing the conduct of human affairs."

Atheism makes no claims as to how life, the universe or anything got started. You can be an atheist and not believe in evolution or the big bang. Heck your answer could easily be 'I don't know, but I'm pretty sure there wasn't a God involved'.

It bothers me when people have the mistaken belief that Christianity is a religion of hate and intolerance.

It also annoys me when people lump all people who "call themselves Christians" together, and will not accept that there are some who really are born again, and some who are not.

That whole "all Christians are the same" thing bugs me too. I get so tired of being expected to take responsibility for the half-assed statements of some lunatic I've never heard of, just because he calls himself a Christian.

So, are you saying a person is not a Christian unless they have been "born again" as a Christian? Or is that just a rumor?

I believe that's what Christ Himself said, so if you're not going to take the word of the One Christians claim to follow, whose can you take?

For me, the most annoying thing is being accused of 'attempting to cram my religion down somebody else's throat' simply because I want the freedom to exercise my faith myself or acknowledge the influence that religion has had on our national history, morals, values, customs, architecture, and laws.

I see. You are a Diest, then.

I am not the teensiest bit a Diest, but I would be fascinated to know how you came to that conclusion from my comment.

Old Rocks, like most ignoramuses in this country, wouldn't know a Deist if one crawled up his pants leg.

I guess that would be that we all have horns growing out of our head. Or maybe its the claim that we all worship lizard people who live in the tunnels beneath Salt Lake City. Not sure where those ideas came from. But they are stupid as ill get out.

Satanist? Seriously it helps if you'd say which religion you are (no offense to anyone here)

I'd have thought the "Salt Lake City" reference was a big clue.

All of the Protestant sects were protesting the RCC, including the Anabaptists.

You don't have to have been part of something to reject it. You just have to have had it offered to you, and the Catholic Church back then "offered" membership to everyone it encountered in a very . . . strenuous fashion, shall we say.

I guess that would be that we all have horns growing out of our head. Or maybe its the claim that we all worship lizard people who live in the tunnels beneath Salt Lake City. Not sure where those ideas came from. But they are stupid as ill get out.

Satanist? Seriously it helps if you'd say which religion you are (no offense to anyone here)

I'd have thought the "Salt Lake City" reference was a big clue.

I would have thought the hundreds of posts in the largest thread in this section would have given it away.

Forum List

Back