Morocco earthquake 6.8, Destruction overwhelming

A horrible event. A terrible tragedy. Condolences to those who have lost people and property. Hopefully there wonā€™t be any aftershocks of significance.

Now letā€™s deal with Maui, the continental wildfire areas and those areas hit or about to be hit by hurricanes before we start sending people and supplies overseas.

Thanks, Exponential Chaos for the update. I'm sorry to hear the count is up to a thousand.

Oh, my gosh, 2,000? You're right, skye. It's terribly awful.

Here's a map of the country on the northwestern shoulder of Africa.

1694305174611.png

It's now close to 7:30pm, in the Central Time Zone.
The Injured number over 2,000 also.

Update,​
The ministry said the highest number of deaths were recorded in Al Haouz province, with 1,293 killed; and Taroudant, with 452.
At least 2,059 people were injured, including 1,404 critically.
The government also announced three days of national mourning.
The magnitude 6.8 quake on Friday was the biggest to hit the North African country in 120 years.

ISRAEL PREPARES TO SEND HELP TO QUAKE-STRIKEN MOROCCO​

Israeli Defense Minister Yoav Gallant held a phone call with his Moroccan counterpart to express Israelā€™s desire to assist the earthquake-stricken country ā€œas much as is required.ā€ Gallant ordered the Israeli military to prepare to provide Morocco with humanitarian aid.
Israel and Morocco normalized relations in 2020 and have recently moved to deepen their diplomatic and security ties. Moroccan Senate president Enaam Mayara was scheduled to be the first Moroccan official and one of the few Muslim leaders ever to set foot in Israelā€™s Knesset, or parliament, earlier in the week but called off the visit to Israel at the last minute due to a medical emergency.
ā€œA significant part of the Abraham Accords is our commitment to stand by our partners during difficult times,ā€ Gallant said a in statement Saturday, referring to the U.S.-brokered accords that formalized ties between Israel and some Arab nations.

MOROCCO RECEIVES OFFERS OF HELP​

President Joe Biden was among world leaders expressing sadness at the devastation facing the North African kingdom of Morocco after a powerful earthquake shook Marrakesh and its environs and killed more than 1,000 people.
Biden said Saturday that U.S. officials had been in contact with Morocco to offer help.

ā€œWe are working expeditiously to ensure American citizens in Morocco are safe, and stand ready to provide any necessary assistance for the Moroccan people. The United States stands by Morocco and my friend King Mohammed VI at this difficult moment.ā€
Turkey, which lost tens of thousands of people in a massive earthquake earlier this year, was among those proposing assistance. France and Germany, with large populations of people with Moroccan origins, also offered to help. Israel's Foreign Ministry said the government has been in touch with Moroccan officials about the possibility of providing help or rescue assistance.
Elsewhere, Qatar offered ā€œprovide all necessary assistance to the affected areas to support their recovery from the effects of the earthquake,ā€ according to a statement by Qatar News Agency. The Emirates News Agency reported that Dubai police rescue teams were dispatching aid. King Abdullah II of Jordan also extended an offer of help.
Pope Francis sent a telegram of condolences, expressing his ā€œprofound solidarityā€ with those affected by the catastrophe. Francis visited Morocco in 2019.

ALGERIA OFFERS TO OPEN ITS AIRSPACE​

Algeria has offered humanitarian aid to neighboring Morocco after a powerful earthquake in the kingdom on Friday night left more than 1,000 people dead.
In an exceptional move, Algeria offered to open its airspace to allow eventual humanitarian aid or medical evacuation flights to travel to and from Morocco. Algeria closed the airspace when its government severed diplomatic ties with Morocco in 2021 over a series of issues. The countries have a decades-long dispute involving the territory of Western Sahara.

Algerian President Abdelmadjid Tebbouneā€™s office said in a statement Saturday that Algeria is ready to offer humanitarian aid ā€˜ā€™in solidarity with the brotherly Moroccan people, in case the authorities of the Moroccan kingdom express a wish for this.ā€™ā€™
The statement also offered to reopen the airspace, and condolences for the dead and ā€˜ā€™deepest compassionā€™ā€™ for the injured.

DOCTORS WITHOUT BORDERS OFFERS HELP​

Doctors Without Borders, or MSF, says it is prepared to respond to the earthquake in Morocco that killed more than 1,000 people and left many more injured.
People were jolted out of bed Friday night by the magnitude 6.8 quake, a rarity in Morocco. In addition to the dead and injured, scores of structures not built to withstand such a powerful temblor crashed to the ground.
Avril BenoĆ®t, executive director of MSF-USA, said in a statement that people who live in the affected region are ā€œkey to the initial responseā€ when searching for survivors.
"Earthquake survivors often require medical care such as surgery or dialysis, which can be a challenge when local health systems are affected by a disaster. Restoring health services and providing essential supplies also can be a priority at this stage. Our response will depend on the needs that are assessed on site.ā€
The dead are mostly in Marrakech and the five provinces near the quakeā€™s epicenter, Moroccoā€™s Interior Ministry reported Saturday morning.

Powerful quake in Morocco kills more than 2,000 people and damages historic buildings in Marrakech
64fcd455c4191.image.jpg

Powerful quake in Morocco kills more than 2,000 people and damages historic buildings in Marrakech

Attachments

• 1694305899593.png
    1694305899593.png
    68 bytes · Views: 3
  • 1694305899469.png
    1694305899469.png
    75 bytes · Views: 3
  • 1694305899130.png
    1694305899130.png
  • 1694305899556.png
    1694305899556.png
  • 1694305899045.png
    1694305899045.png
A horrible event. A terrible tragedy. Condolences to those who have lost people and property. Hopefully there wonā€™t be any aftershocks of significance.

Now letā€™s deal with Maui, the continental wildfire areas and those areas hit or about to be hit by hurricanes before we start sending people and supplies overseas.
I checked the Maui site for Sept 9, 2023, but their last official statement was made Aug 31, 2023 saying they were still working on identifying people that were killed in the fire that started on August 4, 2023.

You got that right.

Bavaria is beautiful. The Alps are breathtaking.
I never had the time to go to the Eagle's Nest....but I went to Freiberg and Nueschwinstein Castle during the Summer. I know I'm spelling them wrong.

I lived in Heilbronn FRG for a couple of years.
Best duty I had in the military.
Only thing that compared was Oahu Hawaii.

I walked out of my officers billeting, looked up, and literally got so dizzy I almost fell down, looking at those mountains. Did you take the tours of the schnapps factories or the salt mines? Or tour the SS headquarters or the Gestapo tunnels under the hotel?

Were you at Pearl Harbor or Hickam AFB? Or the Army base RIGHT ON Waikiki Beach?
4i6Ckte.gif
That's a great duty to pull.

Seems the Tornados and Hurricanes yearly in the Midwest and South ought to spend dollars to protect people and property.
Nah, those are welfare states who just look to the Federal government for handouts when a natural disaster occurs.

Screw em.

Arabic Bibles​

It is against the law for anyone to have a copy of the Holy Bible in Arabic in Morocco. This is to prevent people from trying to convert Muslims to Christianity. It is also, however, against the law for anyone to try and entice a Moroccan to leave Islam.

Another Islamo-Nazi shithole.

Now imagine if you were there & you had stashed away some rope, a tarp, a metal cook pot, a good knife, and a bic lighter.

That could mean the difference between life and death.

A pretty cheap life insurance policy if you ask me.

Apparently, earthquakes are rare in Morocco. So it isnā€™t surprising they were unprepared. Especially with their ancient buildings

Were you at Pearl Harbor or Hickam AFB? Or the Army base RIGHT ON Waikiki Beach?
4i6Ckte.gif
That's a great duty to pull.
I was at Schofield for 3 years, Ft. Shafter is downtown Honolulu, my orders were originally for Ft. Shafter but I was aviation and knew something was wrong, and after a week they shipped me to Schofield, which sucked, but it was really good duty there too.

I was at Schofield for 3 years, Ft. Shafter is downtown Honolulu, my orders were originally for Ft. Shafter but I was aviation and knew something was wrong, and after a week they shipped me to Schofield, which sucked, but it was really good duty there too.
You know what was the best duty to pull that I ever saw? A U.S. Coast Guard station at L'Estartit, north of Barcelona. I do not know why we have a Coast Guard station in Spain, but it sits right next to a topless beach which is like the Fort Lauderdale of Spring Break for European college girls. I tried not to stare while I was staring, but there were just tons of half-naked girls from Germany, Holland, France, everywhere. The guys stationed there never wanted to leave.

L'Estartit
The siblings had me - YTboob

Rescuers scramble to find survivors in Morocco after powerful earthquake kills more than 2,000​

We are having trouble in the UK with buildings falling down because of using sub standard cheap materials. the money is there. The will isnt..
Good for you to damn the scum bag Labour Party for allowing such building to have occurred ā€”ā€” doubtless more Labour corruption . But the Topic is a Libyan tragedy . not your obsession with left wing political corruption in the UK .

Forum List

Back