More record temps

Presuming that this thread is still on-topic with regards to "Record Temps":

am I correct in assuming that NOAA's assessment of April has been seen by all?

"April was seventh warmest on record
May 16, 2011

The Earth experienced the seventh warmest April since record keeping began in 1880, as the climate phenomenon La Niña continued to be a significant factor. April’s annual Arctic sea ice extent was the fifth smallest since record keeping began in 1979, while the Antarctic sea ice extent was the fourth smallest.

The monthly analysis from NOAA’s National Climatic Data Center in Asheville, N.C., is part of the suite of climate services NOAA provides government, business and community leaders so they can make informed decisions..."

April was seventh warmest on record

While April temps don't, in themselves, constitute a new record, they are a part of a record setting 314 straight months where the average global monthly temperature has been above the 20th century global average temperature! (last month with a below average temperature was February 1985)

Hi Trakar. Oh, they have seen it all right. They just claim that NASA and NOAA are part of some global conspiracy. And then there are people like Ian that feature Dr. Sprencer's graph in his avatar, claiming that it shows cooling since 1998.

The fact that we have just had a very strong La Nina, yet only had three negative numbers by Spencer's graph just doesn't seem to penetrate into their skulls. The seventh warmest April on record, a continues record for 314 months of temperatures above the 20th Century average doesn't mean anything to them.

The Gulf waters are about 2 degrees F warmer than average now, and we are in a neutral Enso at the moment. Possible that we might see another 2005 hurricane season.

US NODC Coastal Water Temperature Guide

April was seventh warmest on record

Global Temperature Highlights – Year-to-date
The combined global land and ocean average surface temperature for the year to date (January – April 2011) was 0.86 F (0.48 C) above the 20th century average of 54.8 F (12.6 C), making it the 14th warmest on record. The margin of error is +/- 0.16 F (0.09 C).

The year-to-date worldwide land surface temperature was 1.33 F (0.74 C) above the 20th century average — the 17th warmest such period on record. The margin of error is +/- 0.36 F (0.20 C). Warmer-than-average conditions were particularly felt across the southern half of Greenland, Siberia, northern Mexico, the southern United States and across Africa. Cooler-than-average regions included central Canada, the northern United States, western Russia, Kazakhstan, Mongolia, extreme southeast Asia and most of Australia.
The global ocean surface temperature for the year-to-date was 0.68 F (0.38 C) above the 20th century average and was the 11th warmest such period on record. The margin of error is +/-0.07 F (0.04 C). The warmth was most pronounced across parts of the most of the western Pacific Ocean, the tropical Atlantic Ocean, the North Atlantic near Greenland and Canada, and the southern mid-latitude oceans.

La Niña conditions continued to weaken in April for the fourth consecutive month, although sea-surface temperatures remained below normal across the central and eastern equatorial Pacific Ocean. According to NOAA’s Climate Prediction Center, La Niña will continue to have global impacts as the event continues to decline, but by late spring neither La Niña nor El Niño conditions are expected to prevail in the region.

Effective May 2, 2011, NOAA updated its monthly mean temperature dataset, which is used to calculate global land surface temperature anomalies and trends. The Global Historical Climate Network-Monthly (GHCN-M) version 3 dataset replaced GHCN-M version 2. Beginning with this month’s Global State of the Climate Report, GHCN-M version 3 is used for National Climatic Data Center climate monitoring products. More information on this transition can be found at: GHCN Monthly.

Hi Trakar. Oh, they have seen it all right. They just claim that NASA and NOAA are part of some global conspiracy. And then there are people like Ian that feature Dr. Sprencer's graph in his avatar, claiming that it shows cooling since 1998.

The fact that we have just had a very strong La Nina, yet only had three negative numbers by Spencer's graph just doesn't seem to penetrate into their skulls. The seventh warmest April on record, a continues record for 314 months of temperatures above the 20th Century average doesn't mean anything to them.

The Gulf waters are about 2 degrees F warmer than average now, and we are in a neutral Enso at the moment. Possible that we might see another 2005 hurricane season.

US NODC Coastal Water Temperature Guide

Hey yourself!

Yeah I've been rather busy, I'm down in N. Ca for a couple of weeks, which means a lot of free time and not much into watching television, now that California has a ban on dredging I probably won't be doing any prospecting, but I plan on spending all my free time this summer playing with my trommel and pans when I get back to the homestead!

I don't know about the hurricanes, the water temps in the gulf are scary but the African dust and the upper level vertical shears just don't look conducive to a lot of big cyclones/storms,...at least not yet,...and that could all change in a matter of weeks and peak season doesn't even start until August. If they get into the Gulf with sea surface temps like they are currently trending, the old maps ("beyond here there be Dragons") may be understating the case!

Climate Prediction Center - Atlantic Hurricane Outlook Update

The Post and Courier - Hurricane forecast: Storms, and lots of them: Printer-friendly version - Charleston SC - postandcourier.com

Last edited:
Why yes, walleyed, I did read the article about the study by the Stanford scientists but you make it plain that you may have read it but your comprehension was piss poor. But go ahead, it's always amusing to watch one of you scientifically ignorant denier cultists try to critique the research of actual scientists by analyzing the wording of an article about their research.

I'm sure you do!!! Given how extremely ignorant about science and the scientific process you are and your general low level of intelligence, it all must be quite puzzling to you.

The USA only covers about 2% of the Earth's surface so it's not as big a deal as you imagine. And again, I'm sure you find a lot of scientific facts that you can't comprehend very "amazing" and you must "wonder" about almost everything that you're too ignorant and dimwitted to understand.

The article makes clear that a substantially lesser amount of food is being produced in many parts of the world than the amount that would have been produced in the absence of global warming and the article (even the bit I quoted) mentions Brazil specifically.

"The researchers found that global wheat production was 5.5 percent lower than it would have been had the climate remained stable, and global corn production was lower by almost 4 percent."

"Total worldwide relative losses of the two crops equal the annual production of corn in Mexico and wheat in France."

"The largest comparative losses in corn production were seen in China and Brazil."

Yep, computer modeling is a fairly ubiquitous scientific technique at this point in time and is used in a great many areas of study including crop modeling. The reason computer modeling is so widely used is that it works. Computer models have their limitations but they have demonstrated the ability to reflect real world events fairly accurately in many fields of study and application. You anti-science denier cult nitwits sneer at everything in science that you can't understand and so if a computer model is mentioned, you imagine that that is something negative that, by itself, invalidates the the rest of the research. But that is just your insanity and ignorance talking.

"how exactly did they calculate that?"....pretty much sums up your ignorance. You speculate wildly in the absence of any actual facts and without looking at the actual research paper but only going by a news release about the research and then try to imply that because you're so ignorant about how they arrive at their results then the scientists must not be "legit" scientists and they must have forgotten to consider important factors like "inflation" (which you know because the word wasn't mentioned in an article about the research...LOL).

"Alluding to Russia and India with their crop losses due to the recent blocking..."????? "Blocking"??? What are you mumbling about now, walleyedretard? Russia's crop losses last year were partly the result of wildfires that were directly linked to global warming/climate change. But this study I cited covers a longer period and is looking at trends over years.

"Brazil has indeed seen a decline in food crops BECAUSE THEY ARE PLANTING SUGERCANE FOR BIOFUEL PRODUCTION. So here we have a blatant case of misinformation."....yeah but, as usual, the blatant attempt at misinformation is yours. Brazil developed its ethanol economy decades ago and is not now currently transferring any significant amount of land from food production to sugar cane production.

Ethanol in Brazil: The World's First Sustainable Biofuels Economy
(excerpt)

Brazilians have never considered sugar a basic food staple, such as rice, wheat or corn, but rather just a food sweetener, so it does not play a key role to combat world hunger. The government, the private sector and the Brazilian press joint position defend sugarcane-based ethanol, claiming their ethanol was not the villain of the story. After the peak of the food vs. fuels debate last April to May, reports (links go directly to PDF reports) from the World Bank, OECD, and even the British NGO Oxfam did not put any blame on sugarcane ethanol for the increase of food prices, or for lack of sustainability. The World Bank report concludes that sugarcane based ethanol has not raised sugar prices significantly, as almost half the sugar cane harvested goes to sugar production and the other half to ethanol, not affecting world supply, as Brazil is the first sugar producer in the world.

Well looky here. Numbnuts can't add or subtract either. Here's a primer for you moron. The planet Earth has 139,668,500 square miles of ocean. It further has 57,268,900 square miles of land. The US constitutes 3,794,083 square miles of land which the last time I checked equates out to 6.6% of the total land area. Now if you wish to remove Alaska's 586,400 square miles that drops the total down to 5.6% of the total land area.

How on earth you think that people are going to take you seriously when you can't even get a simple fact like that straight is beyond me but it certainly points out the pervasive inability to do simple math and points out your clowns' particular personality disorder.

When you can get a simple fact straight by all means come back but this is a ridiculously stupid mistake I would expect from a grade schooler.

What a complete and utter failure of the public education system. My gosh but you are an idiot!

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL.....ROTFLMAO.....

Hey walleyedretard, take all of those insults, multiply them by ten, and apply them to yourself.

Surface Area of the Earth
The total surface area of the Earth is 510 million square kilometers.

Surface Area of the Earth
Total surface area of earth: 510,072,000 sq km [= 316,944,046.766 sq mi]

* Total water surface area: 70.8% (361,132,000 sq km) [= 224,397,021 sq mi]
* Total land surface area: 29.2% (148,940,000 sq km) [= 92,547,025 sq mi]

Percentage Calculator

US surface area = 3,794,083 square miles
Earth surface area = 316,944,946 sq mi

3,794,083 is what percentage of 316,944,946 = 1.197%

How on earth you think that people are going to take you seriously when you can't even get a simple fact like that straight is beyond me but it certainly points out the pervasive inability to do simple math and points out your clowns' particular personality disorder.

When you can get a simple fact straight by all means come back but this is a ridiculously stupid mistake I would expect from a grade schooler.

What a complete and utter failure of the public education system. My gosh but you are an idiot!

pd1300760-8.jpg

Not sure anybody else has noticed...........but I most defintately have.

As the environmentalist inflcuence on public policy has fallen on its face the last 2 years, has anybody else noticed how the posts by the k00ks have become perfect illustrations of angst squared? Now.....you're not an "idiot" if you dont agree with them, you're an idiot in 7 pt. font.:lol::lol: And then the numbers.................get aload of the the numbers thrown at you in their posts.:eek::eek::eek: Then of course.............the same 7 or 8 links posted up over.............and over.............and over............and over.............and over. THE SAME LAME SHIT THEYVE BEEN POSTING UP FOR YEARS!!!:up:

They're NOT winning and theyre pissed!!! In fact, you could say they are melting down daily.

Too..........they have started a strategy of starting new threads when in the old threads, they have been made to look like circus clowns by creative wizards like me, Daveman, Ian, Polar Bear, Crusader, Westwall et. al.

Just like Obama.............the worm has turned and its escalator down for the k00k left fringe of this country. Soon........their shit is going to be in a museum, in a glass case propped up like relic from a former era!!!

And all the while............Ive been saying for 10 years this shit would be exposed as a gigantic scam and end up being a historical fad. Its turning out just the way I said it would 10 fcukking years ago!!!:rock::rock::rock::rock::rock::rock::rock::rock::rock::rock::rock::rock::rock::rock::rock:

Last edited:
And here in Oaklandtown we continue to have a much cooler than usual Spring (if one can call it that).

Today's forecast high temp is three degrees below the average for today, and 26 degrees below the record high.

I could use me some Glowball Wirming.

And here in Oaklandtown we continue to have a much cooler than usual Spring (if one can call it that).

Today's forecast high temp is three degrees below the average for today, and 26 degrees below the record high.

I could use me some Glowball Wirming.

Actually you could use some 'no-bull worming'.

The dummies think winning a debate about the data in 2011 is spiking the football for a cause.

Awesome..........but the factual reality is that the public is now overwhelmingly yawning at "the data from real scientists". So much so in fact that they've fallen asleep. Two weeks ago in another thread, I asked them to post up one single link refuting this.......still havent seen dick but lots of post, "Skooks is a retard!"

This shit of posting up numbers has become...........................

NOTHING

MORE

THAN

A

HOBBY

ITS NOT 2007 ANYMORE s0ns!!!!

pd1300760-8.jpg

Research Panel Says Climate Change Doubts Slow Urgent Action - Bloomberg

Placing the Blame for Death of Cap-and-Trade | Miller-McCune

"But much of science runs on government money. Some people find the stink of bias only in private money, and see government as free of it, but they are mistaken. Government likes certain beliefs. To get its money, you have to get the approval of the scientists it selects, and you are less likely to get it if they think your idea wrong".

The Government Grant System: Inhibitor of Truth and Innovation? | Reprint

The dummies think winning a debate about the data in 2011 is spiking the football for a cause.

Awesome..........but the factual reality is that the public is now overwhelmingly yawning at "the data from real scientists". So much so in fact that they've fallen asleep. Two weeks ago in another thread, I asked them to post up one single link refuting this......

Sorry, I generally skip over the cartoon posts so I may have missed your "glove in the mud."

The following should help reassure you that not everyone in America is a braindead idiot.

Poll: American Opinion on Climate Change Warms Up
Poll: American Opinion on Climate Change Warms Up
...Americans who said President Obama and Congress should make developing sources of clean energy a high priority increased 11 points, to 71%, while those who said that global warming should be a high priority rose six points, to 44%. In a seven-point increase since January, 69% of Americans said that the United States should make a large or medium effort to reduce global warming even if it incurs large or moderate economic costs.

Current public support for specific policy options (and changes since January, 2010) include:

77% support regulating carbon dioxide as a pollutant (+6)
87% support funding more research into renewable energy sources (+2)
83% support tax rebates for people who buy fuel-efficient vehicles and solar panels (+1)
65% support signing an international treaty that requires the United States to cut its emissions of carbon dioxide 90 percent by the year 2050 (+4)
61% support requiring electric utilities to produce at least 20% of their electricity from renewable energy sources, even if it cost the average household an extra $100 per year (+2)
Support for expanding offshore drilling for oil and natural gas off the U.S. coast fell to 62% (-5)
"More than seven out of 10 Americans say the United States should take action to power our nation with clean energy," said Edward Maibach, director of the Center for Climate Change Communication at George Mason University. "Even more Americans support regulating carbon dioxide as a pollutant, including 64% of Republicans."

The results come from a survey of 1,024 American adults, age 18 and older. The sample was weighted to correspond with U.S. Census Bureau parameters. The margin of sampling error is plus or minus three percent, with 95% confidence...

Copies of the reports can be downloaded from:
http://environment.yale.edu/climate/files/ClimateBeliefsJune2010.pdf
http://environment.yale.edu/climate/files/PolicySupportJune2010.pdf

PARIS—France's record drought is threatening electricity supplies, as low water levels reduce hydroelectric power and make it hard to cool nuclear plants, widening the potential impact of the hottest, driest spring in memory.

The warning came as neighboring Germany, from which France often buys electricity, shutters some of its nuclear capacity, effectively eliminating its reserve capacity.

."We shouldn't be alarmist, but we should be vigilant," French Energy Minister Eric Besson Besson told a French radio show.

Europe is facing growing economic threats from this year's extreme weather. France has had the hottest spring in memory, according to its weather agency, with average temperatures in March-May 2.6 Celsius above the average between 1971 and 2000; and rainfall just 45% of the average over that period.

Record Heat Costs France - WSJ.com

PARIS—France's record drought is threatening electricity supplies, as low water levels reduce hydroelectric power and make it hard to cool nuclear plants, widening the potential impact of the hottest, driest spring in memory.

The warning came as neighboring Germany, from which France often buys electricity, shutters some of its nuclear capacity, effectively eliminating its reserve capacity.

."We shouldn't be alarmist, but we should be vigilant," French Energy Minister Eric Besson Besson told a French radio show.

Europe is facing growing economic threats from this year's extreme weather. France has had the hottest spring in memory, according to its weather agency, with average temperatures in March-May 2.6 Celsius above the average between 1971 and 2000; and rainfall just 45% of the average over that period.

Record Heat Costs France - WSJ.com

lmao......says the "energy Minister"!!!!

I always said this guy has the political IQ of a small soap dish...........

INTERVIEW-W.Bank to suggest CO2 levy on jet, shipping fuel | Energy & Oil | Reuters

As Polar says...........guys like Chris dabble in Numerology.:lol:Temperature data is just that and only that when the public doesnt give a rats ass about doing anything about it EVEN IF IT WERE VERIFIED TO BE 100% CERTAIN ( which of course, its not).

s0n.........you're one of those guys who they say are "booksmart". They are a dime a dozen in this world. Time to get a little more versatile.:up:

Forum List

Back