More Pot Talk

I've noticed that some of the more conservative posters here can be quite hostile towards marijuana legalization.

Two questions:

1.) As a conservative, why do you advocate for more rules, more restrictions, and more spending over a plant that's relatively non-addicting, impossible to overdose on, and is even sometimes recommended by doctors for chemo patients? Can't our resources be used more efficiently?

2.) If you're anti-marijuana, is it common to be anti-alcohol as well (given it kills brain cells, it's toxic, thousands die each year from consuming it, etc)?

Just picking some brains.

Thanks...

Apples and Oranges.

TIA.

Katz, come on. Undercut the legal market? Kind of like how black-market alcohol dealers still supply beer and wine to Chicago? Don't mean to be condescending, just pointing out that it's a ridiculous notion.

Why would someone buy unregulated, costly marijuana that needs to be shipped thousands of miles from Mexico, and have to deal with some shady criminal drug dealer when they could instead walk to their local store and pick up a legal and more consistent and cleaner product?

Not going to happen, Katz. You have to think this through.

Beer and wine takes a lot of equipment and is much harder to transport. I can't really believe that you think the infrastructure already in place for drug distribution would be dismantled by contrite cartels who will just disappear.

Why would someone buy unregulated costly marijuana? Why do they buy costly and unregulated counterfeit prescription drugs? You know they do. The shady criminal drug dealer isn't shady or criminal to their customers. They are friends. When you're short, the local store won't give you credit like your friendly neighborhood dealer will. There is a personal relationship shady criminal dealers build up with their customers. They are trusted. The dealers understand. Not only that, but they give bonuses for new customers. Your local store won't do that. If you bring in a new customer, the friendly dealer might give you drugs or even money!

...what is your definition of the bonuses they give?.....

A bit of free product is what they usually give. I've known a lot of drug dealers and all of them were really nice guys. The best salesmen are. That's what they are you know, just salesmen. They like to build up a personal loyalty, like any salesman.

I've noticed that some of the more conservative posters here can be quite hostile towards marijuana legalization.

Two questions:

1.) As a conservative, why do you advocate for more rules, more restrictions, and more spending over a plant that's relatively non-addicting, impossible to overdose on, and is even sometimes recommended by doctors for chemo patients? Can't our resources be used more efficiently?

2.) If you're anti-marijuana, is it common to be anti-alcohol as well (given it kills brain cells, it's toxic, thousands die each year from consuming it, etc)?

Just picking some brains.

Thanks...

Apples and Oranges.

TIA.

Why's that?

A bit of free product is what they usually give. I've known a lot of drug dealers and all of them were really nice guys. The best salesmen are. That's what they are you know, just salesmen. They like to build up a personal loyalty, like any salesman.

Again, why isn't the underground bootlegging industry still thriving?

You'd think with all the free 'bonuses', friendly service, and lines of credit a good deal of people would still be buying their beer from underground dealers.

Not the case; why isn't your theory holding up in a real life example?

Beer and wine takes a lot of equipment and is much harder to transport. I can't really believe that you think the infrastructure already in place for drug distribution would be dismantled by contrite cartels who will just disappear.

Why would someone buy unregulated costly marijuana? Why do they buy costly and unregulated counterfeit prescription drugs? You know they do. The shady criminal drug dealer isn't shady or criminal to their customers. They are friends. When you're short, the local store won't give you credit like your friendly neighborhood dealer will. There is a personal relationship shady criminal dealers build up with their customers. They are trusted. The dealers understand. Not only that, but they give bonuses for new customers. Your local store won't do that. If you bring in a new customer, the friendly dealer might give you drugs or even money!

...what is your definition of the bonuses they give?.....

no shit sherlock.....but the great majority of pot buyers got it from a friend who got it from another friend who knew got it from another guy who got it from the guy who knew the actual dealer......

Last edited:

You'd think with all the free 'bonuses', friendly service, and lines of credit a good deal of people would still be buying their beer from underground dealers.

if she actually knew people who do pot she would know that the great majority of people get a small quantity from a friend who bought a bigger quantity from another guy for himself and his friends and then he doles out what everyone wanted .....and the guy he got it off of may have bought a pound to sell it to the people he knows......the actual guy who has 50 pounds at his place?.....how many knew him?.....how many wanted to know him?.....and im sure he wanted as small amount of people as possible to know who he is himself......

if she actually knew people who do pot she would know that the great majority of people get a small quantity from a friend who bought a bigger quantity from another guy for himself and his friends and then he doles out what everyone wanted .....and the guy he got it off of may have bought a pound to sell it to the people he knows......the actual guy who has 50 pounds at his place?.....how many knew him?.....how many wanted to know him?.....and im sure he wanted as small amount of people as possible to know who he is himself......

Yea, well, not sure I take Katz too serious on this particular subject due to the fact that she says some pretty wild things (no offense Katz).

Yea, well, not sure I take Katz too serious on this particular subject due to the fact that she says some pretty wild things (no offense Katz).

its hard to relate to things you have never done......with her and Rabbi its what they were told or read.....

its hard to relate to things you have never done......with her and Rabbi its what they were told or read.....

Well, I have enjoyed pot at concerts and like it for that, only. So I know about pot. I just believe that it is so available without repercussions, already, that it should stay that way. One less mind altering drug is better than one more. I do not smoke it and enjoy being around co-workers who aren't high. Their personality changes when they are and they make more mistakes. They can't remember how to correct them...:lol:

I am of the opinion that most of the male posters at USMB partake of the weed on a regular basis. I don't hold that opinion for most of the women. For purposes of this thread, regular would be defined as several times a week.

It's actually what I've seen. I used to not care very much about pot. Then I saw the effects and changed my mind.

Well, I have enjoyed pot at concerts and like it for that, only. So I know about pot. I just believe that it is so available without repercussions, already, that it should stay that way. One less mind altering drug is better than one more. I do not smoke it and enjoy being around co-workers who aren't high. Their personality changes when they are and they make more mistakes. They can't remember how to correct them...:lol:

I am of the opinion that most of the male posters at USMB partake of the weed on a regular basis. I don't hold that opinion for most of the women. For purposes of this thread, regular would be defined as several times a week.

Hi Aqua - I have a few questions about your statement here. You mention "it's so available without repercussions already". So if that's the case, what's going to change if we make it legal?

The drug's practically legal already in many areas of our country (in Chicago it's even been decriminalized), so why not just make that tiny leap to legalization and (1) cripple the cartels, (2) save police officers time and resources, (3) add hundreds of millions of tax revenue, (4) and hundreds of thousands of jobs to the US economy (because those jobs are currently residing in Mexico).

Pot's not going away anytime soon (we have no choice over that). However we do have a choice over whether or not we benefit from those four points above. I choose benefit over not benefit.

Get my point?

Last edited:

Hi Aqua - I have a few questions about your statement here. You mention "it's so available without repercussions already". So if that's the case, what's going to change if we make it legal?

The drug's practically legal already in many areas of our country (in Chicago it's even been decriminalized), so why not just make that tiny leap to legalization and (1) cripple the cartels, (2) save police officers time and resources, (3) add hundreds of millions of tax revenue, (4) and hundreds of thousands of jobs to the US economy (because those jobs are currently residing in Mexico).

Pot's not going away anytime soon (we have no choice over that). However we do have a choice over whether or not we benefit from those four points above. I choose benefit over not benefit.

Get my point?

Typical talking points rehashed all over the interwebz by potheads.

It turns the average person into a zombie. I do not want people I work or interact with stoned. You don't smoke it just to enjoy it. You smoke it to get STONED. People have a drink to enjoy it. I drink one or two at the most and I do not get drunk.

Peddle your liberal garbage somewhere else.

Has decriminalization of pot in Chicago lowered the crime rate?

Pot heads have their thinking affected by pot use. They operate on the "I'm OK, You're OK" philosophy. They think that THEY are not criminals, except for the pot use thing. Their health has not been affected, or at least not yet. Therefore all pot smokers are just like they are!

In order to do this, they have to rationalize, the crane operator high on pot and killed six people, it wasn't because he was high, it was some other reason. The woman who was too high to take the baby off the roof of her car before she drove off, it wasn't pot, it was some other reason. My step granddaughter to this very day does not connect her being high on pot with her daughter getting hit by a car. It was some other reason. It had nothing to do with her forgetting that she had a three year old with her.

All substance abusers feel the same way. To the alcoholic, he was never arrested because he was too drunk to drive. It was a cop exceeding his authority. That's why pot users who want pot to be legalized should never be taken seriously.

The drug's practically legal already (in Chicago it's even been decriminalized). Why not just make that tiny leap to legalization and (1) cripple the cartels, (2) save police officers time and resources, (3) add hundreds of millions of tax revenue, (4) and hundreds of thousands of jobs to the US economy (because those jobs are currently residing in Mexico).

Get my point?

Yes, I "get" your points, but you are basing them upon the "assumption" that pot wouldn't become a problem for those who might use it as a gateway drug, primarily the younger generation.

I think pot stifles creativity and creates hazardous drivers. I don't think the decision to legalize pot should be based upon the expenses and crime, the prevention of it is causing. Those are the unknowns. I see pot as a mental health issue and how much "could" that cost the taxpayers.

I am not interested in continuing with this topic. I have contributed to several just like it and it never goes anywhere. There are just too many unknowns, and this non-pot smoker has to get ready for work, in just a bit....:D

Has decriminalization of pot in Chicago lowered the crime rate?

Pot heads have their thinking affected by pot use. They operate on the "I'm OK, You're OK" philosophy. They think that THEY are not criminals, except for the pot use thing. Their health has not been affected, or at least not yet. Therefore all pot smokers are just like they are!

In order to do this, they have to rationalize, the crane operator high on pot and killed six people, it wasn't because he was high, it was some other reason. The woman who was too high to take the baby off the roof of her car before she drove off, it wasn't pot, it was some other reason. My step granddaughter to this very day does not connect her being high on pot with her daughter getting hit by a car. It was some other reason. It had nothing to do with her forgetting that she had a three year old with her.

All substance abusers feel the same way. To the alcoholic, he was never arrested because he was too drunk to drive. It was a cop exceeding his authority. That's why pot users who want pot to be legalized should never be taken seriously.

Yeah, and my pothead 60 year old sister does't equate her inability to keep a job or the fact that she still lives in a trailer even though he husband has a great job, with her sustained pot use.

Typical talking points rehashed all over the interwebz by potheads.

It turns the average person into a zombie.

Lol, alright.

Not sure if you're aware, but folks who smoke regularly (especially) build up a tolerance to the drug; when they smoke it they will generally become more relaxed. Still as coherent and functional as before, just relaxed. Similar to a beer after work.

When you're talking "zombie" you're referring to the kid who takes his first double bong hit at a college party, or the guy who eats 4 brownies; I agree, it can turn you into a zombie if you do too much of it and don't have a tolerance.

This is exactly the same as someone without a tolerance consuming 3 glasses of whiskey; he she will turn into a mumbling idiot.

It's the quantity that the person chooses to partake in. You drink too much, you get drunk. You smoke too much, you become less functional as well.

I do not want people I work or interact with stoned.

Surprise! I don't either. I also don't want to work with drunk people. Recreational drugs are for... recreational purposes. Pay more attention to the key words.

You don't smoke it just to enjoy it. You smoke it to get STONED.

Glad you have the power and wisdom to speak on behalf of the entire community, especially given that you don't do it regularly yourself. Usually when you have less experience on an issue, you generally tend to know more about it - right?

People have a drink to enjoy it. I drink one or two at the most and I do not get drunk.

Correct, there are definitely no alcoholics out there.

Peddle your liberal garbage somewhere else.

I've always consider "freedom to choose" a small gov't concept.

Last edited:
The problem isn't really pot, or alcohol, although there are a lot less alcoholics than potheads, even with pot being illegal. The problem is really the number of people who must get high. Schools where there are a significant number of pot users are dysfunctional, they have high failure rates, high drop out rates. A business that has enough people who use pot simply doesn't stay in business very long. They don't have a viable workforce. It's not even the fact of legalization or non legalization, its the number of dysfunctional people.

Forum List

Back