More on the prom canceling

Then your opinion is contrary to the first amendment as ruled upon by the SCOTUS.

i'll try not to cry myself to sleep.

i disagreed with plessy v. ferguson, too.

go figure.

Considering you were not alive during plessy v ferguson, I doubt your opinion would have carried the day. And those who were that disagreed wiith the decision were nontehless bound by it for almost a century.

i'm sure you'll be happy to point out where i said i wasn't bound by scotus decisions?

The other choice was a lawsuit by the ACLU, I don't blame them for canceling the prom, given the circumstances I would too. She is responsible for the prom being canceled. Heck she planned it, did you not read that she went to them in December and again in February, she wanted to make darn good and sure they knew she was gonna wear a tux and bring a female date which was against the school rules. Then she's surprised that after getting an ACLU lawyer to sue the school district for her, they cancel the prom?

That's like me not wanting people to come to my barbecue who use foul language and being sued by the ACLU for infringing on their right to free speech. I'd just cancel the barbecue.

Your barbecue story isn't relevant. This girl's rights were being violated by a local government. That is the difference. I actually admire this girl. I do not admire her lifestyle, but who am I to judge who she is. You and I may not like who she is, but she stood up against overwhelming odds to declare the policy as wrong. She made a request to the school. Denied. She exercised her right to the court system. They canceled the prom. She sued. Good for her. She will lose, but good for her. This girl is standing up for who she is and is not letting anyone else tell her that it is wrong. That is admirable.

No, she stood up against overwhelming odds to sue the school district and get money so she wouldn't ever have to get a real job in her life......she's just the first one in that district to have thought of it.

gee, thanks for neg repping me del.....nice to know there are people that respect other people's opinions around here......<yes, that was sarcasm>

Your barbecue story isn't relevant. This girl's rights were being violated by a local government. That is the difference. I actually admire this girl. I do not admire her lifestyle, but who am I to judge who she is. You and I may not like who she is, but she stood up against overwhelming odds to declare the policy as wrong. She made a request to the school. Denied. She exercised her right to the court system. They canceled the prom. She sued. Good for her. She will lose, but good for her. This girl is standing up for who she is and is not letting anyone else tell her that it is wrong. That is admirable.

No, she stood up against overwhelming odds to sue the school district and get money so she wouldn't ever have to get a real job in her life......she's just the first one in that district to have thought of it.

gee, thanks for neg repping me del.....nice to know there are people that respect other people's opinions around here......<yes, that was sarcasm>

you're welcome; you certainly earned it.
:thup:

Use your head. The fact that they excluded her from the prom violated her first amendment rights.

What prom? The story I read said they cancelled it.

If they held the prom and excluded her, then I agree her rights would have been violated. But if cancelling the prom violates her rights, then wouldn't it also be violating every other student's rights as well?

These idiots don't know the meaning of the word "canceled" so they wont be able to understand that she could have went if they'd had the event. so what right was violated.

They told her she couldn't attend as part of a lesbian couple. When she made it clear she felt her rights were being violated they canceled the prom.

I think she has a decent case.

So she was so special that the rule of the school shouldn't apply to that sweet little thang.

What you're failing to grasp is that the cancellation of the prom was the method for discriminating against her speech.

For anyone going down that tired "she planned this" road...that's poppycock thinking. She did the responsible thing..which was announce her intentions and try to iron things out before the event.

i'll try not to cry myself to sleep.

i disagreed with plessy v. ferguson, too.

go figure.

Considering you were not alive during plessy v ferguson, I doubt your opinion would have carried the day. And those who were that disagreed wiith the decision were nontehless bound by it for almost a century.

i'm sure you'll be happy to point out where i said i wasn't bound by scotus decisions?

After you show me where I said you weren't bound by it.

What you're failing to grasp is that the cancellation of the prom was the method for discriminating against her speech.

For anyone going down that tired "she planned this" road...that's poppycock thinking. She did the responsible thing..which was announce her intentions and try to iron things out before the event.

What you are failing to grasp is because of things like this, high schools will stop holding proms.

We had a lesbian couple at my prom, NO ONE cared.
Some schools are like that, they don't care.

Probably no one would have cared at this one if she didn't make such a big deal about it...I mean she started in December with her demands....this was all about a lawsuit and money from the start.

I can't believe you are still trying to sell this crap.

What you are failing to grasp is because of things like this, high schools will stop holding proms.

Why would a school not run by bigots stop holding prom because a school run by bigots decided to shut theirs down? That don't make sense!

Because it's not about bigotry. It's about being forced to allow anyone to come to the prom...changing the rules for a few against the wishes of the many. It will be easier just to not hold the prom than to deal with future lawsuits like this one. Next they will sue because the prom isn't held in a place a student believes is "kosher" or they will be serving something that isn't "kosher"...or they will be insulting someone for some stupid reason that nobody right now can think of, it's much easier just to not have the prom.

After you show me where I said you weren't bound by it.

pardon me for drawing the obvious inference.

:lol:

Use your head. The fact that they excluded her from the prom violated her first amendment rights.

What prom? The story I read said they cancelled it.

If they held the prom and excluded her, then I agree her rights would have been violated. But if cancelling the prom violates her rights, then wouldn't it also be violating every other student's rights as well?

These idiots don't know the meaning of the word "canceled" so they wont be able to understand that she could have went if they'd had the event. so what right was violated.

Nine pages later........hol
y fuk froggy....ribbit

Because it's not about bigotry. It's about being forced to allow anyone to come to the prom...changing the rules for a few against the wishes of the many.

Are you joking? Why do you hate gays?

I don't, never have....why do you think I do?

I will say I hate the way some <not all> of them behave. At my niece's wedding there was a couple of lesbians that were all over themselves during the dinner reception. They were french kissing, feeling each other in inappropriate places, my cousin and her family left because of their behavior. I hate myself now because I ignored it at the time when if it was two heterosexuals, I would have told them to "get a room". At that point I realized I was biased, but no more. From here on in, I don't care if they are gay, if they are acting inappropriately in public, I'm telling them so.

And by the way, I have gay friends, one I've known since before he was born though I didn't know for many years that he was gay. I still think he should leave his on again/off again lover as the guy is a jerk and my friend deserves better. My husband's cousin is gay, and what's really funny is her girlfriend caught the bouquet at our wedding.

You chose to think that someone that speaks out about something is bigoted, that's your choice...it doesn't make it true.

Stop using whole pineapples as dildos and maybe you won't be so miserable. Or is that the latest prescription for your yeast infections?

The other choice was a lawsuit by the ACLU, I don't blame them for canceling the prom, given the circumstances I would too. She is responsible for the prom being canceled. Heck she planned it, did you not read that she went to them in December and again in February, she wanted to make darn good and sure they knew she was gonna wear a tux and bring a female date which was against the school rules. Then she's surprised that after getting an ACLU lawyer to sue the school district for her, they cancel the prom?

That's like me not wanting people to come to my barbecue who use foul language and being sued by the ACLU for infringing on their right to free speech. I'd just cancel the barbecue.

How much money is she suing for?

Apparently she's suing for $1.00, but she's already got $30,000 from Ellen, and who knows how much more money she'll make off of this. This is only the beginning. As I said before, she's not dumb.

Apparently she's suing for $1.00, but she's already got $30,000 from Ellen, and who knows how much more money she'll make off of this. This is only the beginning. As I said before, she's not dumb.

Yep, suing for one dollar will make her rich for a lifetime. :cuckoo:

She never asked for anything. The scholarship from Ellen was not asked for. It was a gift from people who care about her situation. Are you really this jaded?

Yep, suing for one dollar will make her rich for a lifetime. :cuckoo:

She never asked for anything. The scholarship from Ellen was not asked for. It was a gift from people who care about her situation. Are you really this jaded?

Yes....I live in a world where congress just passed a healthcare bill but exempted themselves from it. I live in a world where the dems and the reps are the two most corrupt parties in the history of our nation. I live in a city that used to have only 25,000 people and now has over 85,000 and the crime rate has gone up exponentially. I live in a state where you have to get caught stealing a car no less than 7 times before they put you in jail. Where the house across the street was tagged by a gang. Where it is no longer safe to go for a walk at night in the neighborhood I grew up in and we used to play hide and seek in the dark. I live in a world where there was a rider attached to the "patriot act" at the last minute to prevent Ely Lily, the makers of thermerosal from being sued, specifically for causing autism. I have two autistic children, one of them still in diapers at 22. I have another autistic man living here because his mother actually locked him out of the house in the winter time. I live in a world where minimum wage won't even put a roof over your head. Yes, I'm jaded, sorry.

She knew exactly what would happen, as I said before, she's not dumb. Heck, if nothing else, she'll make $millions off the book deal.

Forum List

Back