More on the prom canceling

I looked at a few of them...if someone is not allowed to mention Jesus, Allah, or the flying spaghetti monster in their speech I think they are having their civil rights violated. On the other hand, if they are encouraging others to give themselves to any of the above, not so much.

i think anything that limits a person's right to peacefully speak about their beliefs is wrong.

Then your opinion is contrary to the first amendment as ruled upon by the SCOTUS.

I looked at a few of them...if someone is not allowed to mention Jesus, Allah, or the flying spaghetti monster in their speech I think they are having their civil rights violated. On the other hand, if they are encouraging others to give themselves to any of the above, not so much.

i think anything that limits a person's right to peacefully speak about their beliefs is wrong.

Then your opinion is contrary to the first amendment as ruled upon by the SCOTUS.

i'll try not to cry myself to sleep.

i disagreed with plessy v. ferguson, too.

go figure.

i believe it does.
Yep, and as far as I know there is no school that has a rule against discussing your faith in a valedictorian speech.

apparently, there is.

valedictorian not allowed to mention faith - Google Search

Not exactly. Apparently she was proselytizing.

A high school valedictorian is suing a Colorado school district because she was forced to publicly apologize for declaring her Christian faith and inviting students to respond to the Gospel in a speech at her graduation ceremony.

You can mention your faith in a valedictory address, but you can use a valedictory address to recruit people to join your religion.

i'll try not to cry myself to sleep.

i disagreed with plessy v. ferguson, too.

go figure.

Considering you were not alive during plessy v ferguson, I doubt your opinion would have carried the day. And those who were that disagreed wiith the decision were nontehless bound by it for almost a century.

In my country we have NO living homosexuals. The opperative word being LIVING.

My prediction: This will go to court, the "lesbian" will win some undisclosed sum of money, within 5 years she'll become straight, get married and have a couple kids. :cool:

And her rights will still have been violated.

And public schools will never cancel another prom to prevent gay couples from attending ever again.

No, they'll just cancel the proms to prevent having any legal troubles at all......

The bigotted school board, or whoever ruled the prom cancelled, ruined it.

The other choice was a lawsuit by the ACLU, I don't blame them for canceling the prom, given the circumstances I would too. She is responsible for the prom being canceled. Heck she planned it, did you not read that she went to them in December and again in February, she wanted to make darn good and sure they knew she was gonna wear a tux and bring a female date which was against the school rules. Then she's surprised that after getting an ACLU lawyer to sue the school district for her, they cancel the prom?

That's like me not wanting people to come to my barbecue who use foul language and being sued by the ACLU for infringing on their right to free speech. I'd just cancel the barbecue.

Your barbecue story isn't relevant. This girl's rights were being violated by a local government. That is the difference. I actually admire this girl. I do not admire her lifestyle, but who am I to judge who she is. You and I may not like who she is, but she stood up against overwhelming odds to declare the policy as wrong. She made a request to the school. Denied. She exercised her right to the court system. They canceled the prom. She sued. Good for her. She will lose, but good for her. This girl is standing up for who she is and is not letting anyone else tell her that it is wrong. That is admirable.

No, she stood up against overwhelming odds to sue the school district and get money so she wouldn't ever have to get a real job in her life......she's just the first one in that district to have thought of it.

Why does it matter if her family is Mexican? She is still an American citizen and her rights were violated.

What of the other students, did she have the right to ruin their last year memories, she kinda selfish, ya think.

She didn't cancel the prom.

No, the school did in order to avoid a lawsuit which she filed anyway. She's got to get that settlement money somehow.

So she asked for it?

I just wondered if maybe the ACLU might have aided her from the get go.

YOu mean like how the NCAAP helped Rosa Parks from the gitgo?

Once again, how dare you compare the two? Rosa Parks sat in her seat after a rather tiring day and refused to stand up for a white man. She didn't plan it, she didn't sue to get money, she just stayed in her seat. She was a beacon for those in the civil rights movement.

This girl announced in DECEMBER that she was going to break the rules....she planned on the lawsuit from the beginning....she brought this on herself, this is nothing about rights. If she'd shown up on prom night with her date, my guess is no one would have said anything and if they had, I would be backing her 100%, but she made a big deal about it from the very beginning, all in plans for her lawsuit hoping she won't have to put in an honest days work in her life.

When a class valedictorian is not allowed to discuss their faith during a graduation speech, does that violate their freedom of expression?

Apparently not....

I remember reading about one high-school, having been denied a prayer at their graduation, one of their speakers stood up and simply sneezed. The entire class responded "God Bless You!"

She is a gay activist which she has every right to be. But she did have an agenda

That being said, if you let gays be gay, they won't need to make big deals about not being able to go to the prom, thus preventing lawsuits that result in monetary gain which btw will be funded by the taxpayer.

You mean that $1 fine she is asking for?

Please site your source.

She is a gay activist which she has every right to be. But she did have an agenda

That being said, if you let gays be gay, they won't need to make big deals about not being able to go to the prom, thus preventing lawsuits that result in monetary gain which btw will be funded by the taxpayer.

Please site your source.
It was posted to you in the other thread, but apparently you only believe what you want to believe. The school turned her down before she went to the ACLU.

Bennett said she is preparing to take the case to trial. McMillen has asked the judge to declare the board's actions unconstitutional and award her $1 in damages plus court costs.
Judge: Lesbian student's rights violated - USATODAY.com

Please site your source.
It was posted to you in the other thread, but apparently you only believe what you want to believe. The school turned her down before she went to the ACLU.

Bennett said she is preparing to take the case to trial. McMillen has asked the judge to declare the board's actions unconstitutional and award her $1 in damages plus court costs.

Even though your attitude makes it difficult, I was all prepared to apologize and change my mind on the case, until I got to the following: "Gay Miss. teen gets $30,000 on 'Ellen'"

Yeah, right, it's not about money. It's about money AND fame. She's not dumb.

Please site your source.

Even though your attitude makes it difficult, I was all prepared to apologize and change my mind on the case, until I got to the following: "Gay Miss. teen gets $30,000 on 'Ellen'"

Yes, I'm sure she planned this with Ellen in mind.

:lol:

I honestly think you're an idiot. :cool:

• Thanks
Reactions: del

Yes, I'm sure she planned this with Ellen in mind.

:lol:

I honestly think you're an idiot. :cool:

Ravi, you've been around for awhile....you've read my posts...do you honestly think I'm an idiot? I'm rather sick of the personal attacks...I expect better from you. We can disagree without attacking each other, can't we?

Then again, maybe I am an idiot, look what I'm asking, and look where I'm asking it....
:(

Forum List

Back