More money should be spent on renewables

I predict a day when the roofs of most buildings will be covered by solar panels. But in the meantime, drill baby drill!

Do you have hailstorms where you live?

Hail and solar panels simply don't mix.
So, the solar panels of the future, at least the kind on most all the roofs, will be more durable than now.

My prediction may very well be wrong. That being said, improvements are made on technology all the time.

If asphalt shingles cannot withstand hail, what makes you think we can create cost effective solar panels that will?
Also, the fact that asphalt shingles are sometimes damaged by hail hasn't stopped millions, perhaps billions of people from roofing their houses with them.

Over the course of time stuff needs routine maintenance. The solar panels probably will not stand up very well to tornadoes either.

Right now if I had solar panels on my roof, I would be walking around with a flash light because sun doesn't go through snow.

The libs will suggest we add heaters, but they will have to get their power from the grid.

Renewables are the future

The long term benefits outweigh the short terms setbacks.

I agree, you should spend more money on renewables.
Leave government money out of it.
The young people of this nation don't want the government to do that, and they're inspired to vote this election.
thats because the young people of this country have no fucking clue that they are going to be paying big time for their ignorant opinions and voting patterns they exhibit today.

Most people don't now.

The problem with all this climate change nonsense is that the costs to pander to these people are intrinsic in the products we buy every day.

I see it in my business all the time. My employer spends tens of thousands of dollars each year on increased diesel fuel prices, DEF fluid which is now required in all newer trucks, and the huge increase in cost for all those computers and service engine warnings that have to be attended to all because of more and more environmental regulations on the trucking industry.

Like any other business, we have to pass that cost to our customers who in return, pass those costs to us consumers when we buy products at the store.

I predict a day when the roofs of most buildings will be covered by solar panels. But in the meantime, drill baby drill!

So, the solar panels of the future, at least the kind on most all the roofs, will be more durable than now.

My prediction may very well be wrong. That being said, improvements are made on technology all the time.

If asphalt shingles cannot withstand hail, what makes you think we can create cost effective solar panels that will?
Also, the fact that asphalt shingles are sometimes damaged by hail hasn't stopped millions, perhaps billions of people from roofing their houses with them.

Over the course of time stuff needs routine maintenance. The solar panels probably will not stand up very well to tornadoes either.

Asphalt shingles are relatively inexpensive compared to solar panels.
And at one time computers were very expensive. Now our phones are computers that are in many ways much better than the NASA used for the first manned moon mission. I don't know what the future will bring. How many people 200 years ago would have thought we would be able to fly around the world in jet planes? The world for man has been changed by technology, and it will be changed again. Things that are not economical now may be economical in the future.

And at one time computers were very expensive. Now our phones are computers that are in many ways much better than the NASA used for the first manned moon mission. I don't know what the future will bring. How many people 200 years ago would have thought we would be able to fly around the world in jet planes? The world for man has been changed by technology, and it will be changed again. Things that are not economical now may be economical in the future.

Do you play poker? What you are doing is betting on the "come", in hopes that the cards you need will "come" into your hand. That tactic is for losers.

By the way, I'm not saying that hundreds of millions or billions should be wasted by the government on this stuff like Obama did on Solindra (spelling?).
The future is a very long time.

That's the bottom line right there; it will come at it's own time.

But for government to force these things down our throats is just plain wrong. Liberals try to make our current fuel more expensive in order to make alternatives reasonable is not the way to do things.

Do you play poker? What you are doing is betting on the "come", in hopes that the cards you need will "come" into your hand. That tactic is for losers.
The the future is a very long time dude. If I had said that by next year most building would probably have solar panels on their roofs, then your argument would make sense. But the future is infinite. Things that we don't even imagine now will come to be. We can see that by simply reviewing the changes in the last 100 years.

That's the bottom line right there; it will come at it's own time.

But for government to force these things down our throats is just plain wrong. Liberals try to make our current fuel more expensive in order to make alternatives reasonable is not the way to do things.
Right. We are on the same page now.

there is no question that you are correct.
however consider this. the phone was a novelty that was expensive to have at first, not until years later did it really become an affordable option, same with the computer, remember those 6000 dollar apples that did nothing in the early 80s? now they are affordable to most.
Energy will be the same, the price will be out of reach for most for years to come, eventually, it will be affordable.
The difference? we dont have a choice when it comes to energy, we had a choice with phones and computers.
You cant shut down one industry in favor of another that does not exist. and you cant tax people out of their homes in order to come up with a new alternative.

there is no question that you are correct.
however consider this. the phone was a novelty that was expensive to have at first, not until years later did it really become an affordable option, same with the computer, remember those 6000 dollar apples that did nothing in the early 80s? now they are affordable to most.
Energy will be the same, the price will be out of reach for most for years to come, eventually, it will be affordable.
The difference? we dont have a choice when it comes to energy, we had a choice with phones and computers.
You cant shut down one industry in favor of another that does not exist. and you cant tax people out of their homes in order to come up with a new alternative.

And I never suggested that we should.

The young people of this nation don't want the government to do that, and they're inspired to vote this election.
thats because the young people of this country have no fucking clue that they are going to be paying big time for their ignorant opinions and voting patterns they exhibit today.

Most people don't now.

The problem with all this climate change nonsense is that the costs to pander to these people are intrinsic in the products we buy every day.

I see it in my business all the time. My employer spends tens of thousands of dollars each year on increased diesel fuel prices, DEF fluid which is now required in all newer trucks, and the huge increase in cost for all those computers and service engine warnings that have to be attended to all because of more and more environmental regulations on the trucking industry.

Like any other business, we have to pass that cost to our customers who in return, pass those costs to us consumers when we buy products at the store.
Older diesel trucks emit a lot of air pollution. Way too much. (BTW, I'm not talking about carbon dioxide)

Most people don't now.

Older diesel trucks emit a lot of air pollution. Way too much. (BTW, I'm not talking about carbon dioxide)

Yes they do, and a lot of companies are trying to hold on to those trucks to avoid all the environmental costs of new ones.

This global warming thing is a bottomless money pit. No matter how much you throw in there, it will never become full. It's endless.

When DumBama wanted to make nice-nice with his wife, he created law that forced all restaurants to post calorie count on every item in their menus. It cost them some money, but they had to comply. The thought was that since people are too stupid to realize that consuming big macs and large chocolate milk shakes are not low in calories, that government making people aware of this would make people thinner.

Well fine. But I say we do the same with environmental costs. That's right, every product should have what it cost them in environmental regulations.

If you buy a car, the sticker price must have $5,000 for environmental improvements and costs. When you get your $80.00 electric bill, it should show that $40.00 of those dollars were for the environment. When you buy gasoline at $2.00 per gallon, it should have a sticker on the pump that 80 cents of that gallon were for environmental costs.

Maybe if we did that, people would realize what we are actually spending for the environment and understand it's costing us trillions in hidden fees that we all must pay.

Forum List

Back