More important to you? Holding your side accountable or winning?

I've said for years that the reason that our country is in the mess we're in, especially financially, is due to the fact that each party, mainly the partisans, do NOT hold their own responsible for their actions or promises.

So, I ask you, is it more important to you that your side win? Or is it more important that you hold a politician, from your side, accountable for his or her actions/promises? Because from where I sit, partisans aren't holding anyone responsible except the other side.

Winning.

Especially when the other side is economically to the left of real Communists

I've said for years that the reason that our country is in the mess we're in, especially financially, is due to the fact that each party, mainly the partisans, do NOT hold their own responsible for their actions or promises.

So, I ask you, is it more important to you that your side win? Or is it more important that you hold a politician, from your side, accountable for his or her actions/promises? Because from where I sit, partisans aren't holding anyone responsible except the other side.

Right now, the most important thing is that obama get's booted out. So for this election, winning is tops, but I also like to hold the GOP accountable and will do so even if we do win. So my answer is that it depends on the situation.

The more appropriate question should be do most people forego their political beliefs just because things aren't going well right now? This does seem to be the case. If the economy isn't doing well, we blame the party with the most power at the time and vote them out. If things don't get better, we turn around and do it again. And the funniest thing about it is that usually the party in power has very little to do with the economy. People falsely believe that political policy is the main controlling factor in how well or poorly our economy does at any given time, and it simply just is not the case.

I don't think winning is as important as getting this country back on track.

Right now all of the White House's policies are political rather than practical.

We can't fix anything as long as special interests and ideology stand in the way.

Last edited:
I don't think winning is as important as getting this country back on track.

Right now all of the White House's policies are political rather than practical.

We can't fix anything as long as special interests and ideology stand in the way.

we've just had 8 years of a republican president (which took us much deeper into debt) and 3 years of a democratic president which took us even further. here's what's gonna happen. no matter which party takes control of the white house, the country will go deeper into debt. that, my friends, is on the voters. fooled us once, shame on them. fooled us every time during our entire lifetimes, we're stupid.

"If you compromise your principles to win elections, regardless of the results, you already lost." Jason Lewis

I don't have a side, and never vote for anyone who does not keep his promises.

A deceptively simple question without a simple answer, just because someone does not abandon their politicians and jump on the opposition smearwagon does not mean they are not holding their politicians accountable, they are just avoiding giving the opposition justification for what is usually an unfounded, misinformed smear.

You obviously did not hold Obama accountable, I have never once seen you complain he broke his promise to accept public financing if his opponent did. If you were actually true to the principles of the occupy movement you would point out how he chose to forego it, and spend more money than the Republicans in order to buy the election using Wall Street money. Until you actually do that the OP applies directly to you.

I'm saying that there is no way to vote for significant spending cuts because once the cameras are off and those people are behind closed doors they are looking to cash in for their district and cronies, all of them.

which means that you will be casting a vote for continued increased federal debt. i don't think many people have the courage to admit what they're voting for.

Lesser of the two evils as usual, it is inconceivable that I would not vote.

I am willing to bet that there will be more than two people on the ballot where you vote. Even if there isn't, you can always write in someone else. Just because you refuse to make a choice does not mean there is not one.

"If you compromise your principles to win elections, regardless of the results, you already lost." Jason Lewis

I always find it fascinating when someone quotes someone else as though that adds some gravitas to their opinion. What makes Lewis right in his opinion? Nothing.

I have personal principles which I do not compromise. Voting in elections should require one to look past their own wants and desires and vote in the best interests of the country. For example, I am pro-life. I will however not base my vote on a candidate's views on abortion... that is a personal principle and not one that can be forced on others.

The only pity of it is that I am - I think - in the minority... most of y'all vote party over country - no matter how much you deny it.... you want to force your views on me.

I always find it fascinating when someone quotes someone else as though that adds some gravitas to their opinion. What makes Lewis right in his opinion? Nothing.

I have personal principles which I do not compromise. Voting in elections should require one to look past their own wants and desires and vote in the best interests of the country. For example, I am pro-life. I will however not base my vote on a candidate's views on abortion... that is a personal principle and not one that can be forced on others.

The only pity of it is that I am - I think - in the minority... most of y'all vote party over country - no matter how much you deny it.... you want to force your views on me.
You and Jason Lewis have a lot in common then. He nor I are one issue voters.
The Jason Lewis Show | America's Mr. Right

Right now, the most important thing is that obama get's booted out. So for this election, winning is tops, but I also like to hold the GOP accountable and will do so even if we do win. So my answer is that it depends on the situation.

You'll hold them accountable by throwing them your vote every time, no matter what? How's that been working out?

I see it every election. Voters always put accountability on the back burner. In between elections they talk a big game, but as soon as the election comes around the voters go "omgwtfbbqsauce!! We have to stop the opposition at all costs". And accountability never happens. This is why Washington is the way it is. They know they can do whatever the fuck they want, and idiot voters will STILL vote them.

You'll hold them accountable by throwing them your vote every time, no matter what? How's that been working out?

I see it every election. Voters always put accountability on the back burner. In between elections they talk a big game, but as soon as the election comes around the voters go "omgwtfbbqsauce!! We have to stop the opposition at all costs". And accountability never happens. This is why Washington is the way it is. They know they can do whatever the fuck they want, and idiot voters will STILL vote them.
well if people would just buy all the produce, it'd always be fresh and not need sell by dates. It's not the store's fault you got food poisoning.

Voters always put accountability on the back burner. In between elections they talk a big game, but as soon as the election comes around the voters go "omgwtfbbqsauce!! We have to stop the opposition at all costs".

THAT is about as clear as it gets. I will add that many voters have no idea how they're being manipulated. It's a game and they're the suckers.

I really am not overly interested in what Jason Lewis thinks. As Shania Twain says "that don't impress me much". :lol:

As long as I've got a stiff drink in one hand, and a soft woman in the other, I really don't care either way.

there's truth in that. people don't give up power or wealth readily. and in the case of what's gone on for the past 3 plus years, the resentment of the right that they lost the presidency has driven them into a tizzy. The day that obama was sworn in, rush limbaugh said "i hope he fails" and the right has acted in a way to try to make that happen.

is it one side's fault? no. but right now it's the right. would it be the left if reversed... well, yes... and no. there are things that can be compromised on and things that can't.

outlawing birth control or absolving a hospital of liability for not doing a life saving abortion? can't be the source of compromise.
privatizing social security? can't be the source of compromise.

fixing problems incrementally. yes, those incremental fixes *can* be the source of compromise. and, historically, have been... until recently.... i want to say since clinton's impeachment, but it was probably before that.

Last edited:

I really am not overly interested in what Jason Lewis thinks. As Shania Twain says "that don't impress me much". :lol:
Well koo koo kachoo Mrs. Robinson! ;)

Forum List

Back