More Gov't Jobs Than Manufacturing Jobs in US

Spare_change

Gold Member
Jun 27, 2011
(CNSNews.com) - Jobs in manufacturing in the United States increased by 17,000 in December—the first post-election month—climbing from 12,258,000 in November to 12,275,000 in December, according to data released today by the Bureau of Labor Statistics.

Even so, over all of 2016, manufacturing jobs declined by 45,000--dropping from 12,320,000 in December 2015 to 12,275,000 in December 2016.

At the same time, jobs in federal, state and local government increased not only from November to December, but over the course of the entire year.

From November to December, government jobs climbed from from 22,211,000 to 22,223,000, an increase of 12,000.

From December 2015 to December 2016, government jobs climbed from 22,040,000 to 22,223,000--an increase of 183,000.

Last December, government jobs in the United States outnumbered manufacturing jobs by 9,720,000. This December, government jobs outnumbered manufacturing jobs by 9,948,000.

I know exactly what I posted ----

I also know that the average idiot would have noticed that the source was CNSNews --- but, then, you're not average, are you?

Further, it stuns me that I have to explain to you that when the government is the largest employer, and it generates no income whatsoever, that you wouldn't understand that, in order to feed that behemoth, they must take more and more of your money. Who the hell do you suppose is paying for all those bureaucrats?

But then, you're not average, are you?

Got a link...

... or is this fake news...

... can't find it on the CNSNews.com site.
he didn't include the link because it shows information that goes against his insane conspiracy theory

Check it out, dumbo ------ how do you like your crow? I didn't realize that you had to be led by the hand ....
nothing has been said yet moron you have not made any argument

You SERIOUSLY do not understand the significance of that?

Wow ..... boy, am I not impressed.

Got a link...

he didn't include the link because it shows information that goes against his insane conspiracy theory

Check it out, dumbo ------ how do you like your crow? I didn't realize that you had to be led by the hand ....

your doing a shitty job of explaining it thats for certain

Got a link...

Apparently, I don't know that many small words.

Apparently, I don't know that many small words.
so anyway how's the weather where you live did you get a lot of snow?

when the government is the largest employer, and it generates no income whatsoever
While I agree that there is inherently too much fat in government, I don't think it is so easy to dismiss their effect on the economy as no income.

A teacher instructing 30 students in a public school doesn't generate balance sheet income, but how do you quantify the effect of that society's income by 30 kids that are becoming educated and better able to produce as adults? When government employees repair roads so others can drive to work and produce income, how do you calculate their contribution? When a cops/firefighters create a safe environment that private companies can exist in contribute to the economy, what is the measure?

when the government is the largest employer, and it generates no income whatsoever
While I agree that there is inherently too much fat in government, I don't think it is so easy to dismiss their effect on the economy as no income.

A teacher instructing 30 students in a public school doesn't generate balance sheet income, but how do you quantify the effect of that society's income by 30 kids that are becoming educated and better able to produce as adults? When government employees repair roads so others can drive to work and produce income, how do you calculate their contribution? When a cops/firefighters create a safe environment that private companies can exist in contribute to the economy, what is the measure?
In fact, you don't .... government workers provide a service. They produce nothing, but they consume wealth that could be used for the production of goods.

That is not to demean the contribution of teachers .... they produce a product that will eventually produce goods. It is no different than the worker who cuts trees into logs. Each are a step in the production stream.

The government, by and large, produces nothing (in fact, most would say they hinder production). Their contribution to the overall wealth is less than zero.

No, I believe there are government positions that have an overall positive wealth contribution by enabling other producers, as in examples I gave. It is no different than the difficulty in quantifying the exact financial impact of some administrative assistant working at Intel, they aren't directly selling or creating something but (hopefully) they enable others who do.

If a government worker clears the streets of snow so that a few thousand other people can go to work, they do not contribute zero the country's GDP.

No, I believe there are government positions that have an overall positive wealth contribution by enabling other producers, as in examples I gave. It is no different than the difficulty in quantifying the exact financial impact of some administrative assistant working at Intel, they aren't directly selling or creating something but (hopefully) they enable others who do.

If a government worker clears the streets of snow so that a few thousand other people can go to work, they do not contribute zero the country's GDP.

I suppose that by some folks definition, all management and professional services are valueless because they do not physically manipulate tangible property on an assembly line. Makes me wonder why we pay such people as CEO's and board chairmen anything since they "produce" nothing.

Of course, national income accounts value government services at their cost, and make no distinction between transfer payments, current expenses, and capital expenditures, which makes such statistics nearly worthless for many purposes and drives CBO nuts. Just look at their rationale for "dynamic scoring".

Forum List

Back