The REAL Unemployment Rate

Spare_change

Gold Member
Jun 27, 2011
(CNSNews.com) -- Although the national unemployment rate for December was 4.7%, the real or total unemployment rate -- people who work part-time because of the economy and other marginally attached workers -- was 9.2%, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS). The last time it was as low as 9.2% was in April 2008, more than eight years ago.

As Gallup explains, "Widely reported unemployment metrics in the U.S. do not accurately represent the reality of joblessness in America. For example, the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) does not count a person who desires work as unemployed if he or she is not working and has stopped looking for work over the past four weeks."

"Similarly, the BLS does not count someone as unemployed if he or she is, for instance, an out-of-work engineer, construction worker or retail manager who performs a minimum of one hour of work a week and receives at least $20 in compensation," said Gallup.

bush was president in april 2008
Pretty sure there is a point you're trying to make .... but I think you missed.
ummmmm....I could say the same thing to you? what's the point of your thread?

I rest my case.
care to tell us what the people screaming in your head are trying to say?

They keep telling me how incredibly stupid and gullible the left is if they have no problem with "their" government lying to them.

bush was president in april 2008

I rest my case.

They keep telling me how incredibly stupid and gullible the left is if they have no problem with "their" government lying to them.
what else do they say? do they tell you to hurt small animals? you dont own any pets do you?

I rest my case.

what else do they say? do they tell you to hurt small animals? you dont own any pets do you?

How incredibly stupid ---- are you really this disconnected from reality, or do you have to practice in front of a mirror?

I rest my case.

How incredibly stupid ---- are you really this disconnected from reality, or do you have to practice in front of a mirror?
WyNrd.gif

I rest my case.

WyNrd.gif

You got a lot of class ---- unfortunately, it's all third class.

(CNSNews.com) -- Although the national unemployment rate for December was 4.7%, the real or total unemployment rate -- people who work part-time because of the economy and other marginally attached workers -- was 9.2%, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS). The last time it was as low as 9.2% was in April 2008, more than eight years ago.
Let's get this straight....you are agreeing with CNS that some people WHO HAVE JOBS are really unemployed? How do you justify that?

As Gallup explains, "Widely reported unemployment metrics in the U.S. do not accurately represent the reality of joblessness in America. For example, the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) does not count a person who desires work as unemployed if he or she is not working and has stopped looking for work over the past four weeks."
Well, if someone isn't trying to work in December, why would you classify them as unemployed in December?

"Similarly, the BLS does not count someone as unemployed if he or she is, for instance, an out-of-work engineer, construction worker or retail manager who performs a minimum of one hour of work a week and receives at least $20 in compensation," said Gallup.
I have no idea where he got the $20 compensation idea. It's not true. The reason someone is classified as employed if he worked at least one hour for pay during the survey reference week is because nothing else makes much sense. What minimum would you set and how would you classify those who worked less? In High School and college I had more than one job where I worked less than 5 hours a week by choice. Was I unemployed?

they have no problem with "their" government lying to them.
I have a problem with the government lying to me.

However the commonly published unemployment rate U-3 is based on ILO, the methodology is published by BLS and they are quite transparent on how it is calculated and the differences between it and other measures of slack in the labor market. They measure different things, but someone preferring to use U-6 or disagreeing with their known methods doesn't equate to lying since there is no intent to deceive.

they have no problem with "their" government lying to them.
I have a problem with the government lying to me.

However the commonly published unemployment rate U-3 is based on ILO, the methodology is published by BLS and they are quite transparent on how it is calculated and the differences between it and other measures of slack in the labor market. They measure different things, but someone preferring to use U-6 or disagreeing with their known methods doesn't equate to lying since there is no intent to deceive.

However, when a methodology is used for 50 years, and then suddenly changed in order to camouflage a comparative condition - THAT is the intent to deceive.

Forum List

Back