More Evil Doings At Congress?

Madeline

Rookie
Apr 20, 2010
Cleveland. Feel mah pain.
Section 1713 of the Budget Bill is said to:

Republicans in Congress are attempting to repeal fundamental environmental protections by attaching hundreds of amendments to a stop-gap funding measure.

If they get their way, big polluters win free rein to foul our air and threaten our climate, Shell drills in the Arctic, and hunters and ranchers get to gun down wolves.

Need more reasons to call your senator to stop this assault? This bill would also:

- Undo progress made to curb destructive mountaintop-removal mining by stopping the EPA from developing standards that list toxic coal ash as hazardous waste, reviewing water pollution issues, completing rules to protect streams from coal waste, and enforcing the Clean Water Act that governs required dredge and fill permits.

- Scrap plans for the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration to create a "climate service."

- Zero out U.S. funding for the Nobel-Prize-winning Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC).

- Stop the EPA from even collecting data on sources of carbon dioxide and other greenhouse gas pollutants.

Don't Let Congress Roll Back 40 Years of Environmental Protections

If this is an accurate description, this bill MUST be stopped.

Have you read more about it?

Republicans in Congress are attempting to repeal fundamental environmental protections by attaching hundreds of amendments to a stop-gap funding measure.

If they get their way, big polluters win free rein to foul our air and threaten our climate, Shell drills in the Arctic, and hunters and ranchers get to gun down wolves.

Need more reasons to call your senator to stop this assault? This bill would also:

- Undo progress made to curb destructive mountaintop-removal mining by stopping the EPA from developing standards that list toxic coal ash as hazardous waste, reviewing water pollution issues, completing rules to protect streams from coal waste, and enforcing the Clean Water Act that governs required dredge and fill permits.

- Scrap plans for the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration to create a "climate service."

- Zero out U.S. funding for the Nobel-Prize-winning Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC).

- Stop the EPA from even collecting data on sources of carbon dioxide and other greenhouse gas pollutants.

Blah blah blah, you believe anything against Republicans cause you are an idiot. But hey thanks for playing.

• Banned

Blah blah blah, you believe anything against Republicans cause you are an idiot. But hey thanks for playing.

Uh, no. I would actually like some accurate information, RGS. Being as I am a Republican fond of breathing myself and all.

You twit.

pink_elephant1.jpg

Uh, no. I would actually like some accurate information, RGS. Being as I am a Republican fond of breathing myself and all.

You twit.

pink_elephant1.jpg

You keep making that claim, sorry toots but we don't need liberal republicans go join your real buddies the Democrats. As I recall you also attacked your State party cause in one month they hadn't done what you wanted in a 2 year stint in power. Go figure. I have YET to see you attack democrats for anything.

A biased assessment I think Stripping the tops off mountains does not result in coal ash. By using imagery like that, the article appeals to our emotions rather than logic.

The IPCC has shown itself to be a fraud. funding it would be akin to a government subsidy for Bernie Madoff.
If we need a climate panel, let Congress create it, not NOAA. One bureaucracy, creating another is about the same as Cabinet agencies enacting laws without the consent of Congress. This is what the GOP is concerned with.

• Banned

A biased assessment I think Stripping the tops off mountains does not result in coal ash. By using imagery like that, the article appeals to our emotions rather than logic.

The IPCC has shown itself to be a fraud. funding it would be akin to a government subsidy for Bernie Madoff.
If we need a climate panel, let Congress create it, not NOAA. One bureaucracy, creating another is about the same as Cabinet agencies enacting laws without the consent of Congress. This is what the GOP is concerned with.

Actually, my biggest concern is the Endangered Species Act. I can get whipsawed by the dueling scientists, but I sure as shit know we are running out of wolves.

Even a science dumbass like me can tell that much.

Actually, my biggest concern is the Endangered Species Act. I can get whipsawed by the dueling scientists, but I sure as shit know we are running out of wolves.

Maddie, I love the outdoors as much as anyone. I try to spend quite a bit of time in it when the weather allows.

HOWEVER, I also know that the reason California has rolling brown-outs every summer is because they haven't built a new power plant in 30 years. You know why that is? Two reasons....

1. NIMBY. Not In My BackYard.
2. The environmental wackos who feel that protecting every bird, frog, and toadstool is more important than the elderly people of California dropping like flies when their AC doesn't work in August.

There needs to be a balance, and that is something that the EPA and the radical environmentalists have absolutely no interest in.

My biggest problem with the EPA is there is no oversight. They just enact regulations without regard to the constitutional process. Only Congress is allowed to enact law.
When a government bureaucracy has the power to deny a citizen's right to use his property, there should be recourse. I want debate and transparency before my rights are trampled to save a squirrel.

My biggest problem with the EPA is there is no oversight. They just enact regulations without regard to the constitutional process. Only Congress is allowed to enact law.
When a government bureaucracy has the power to deny a citizen's right to use his property, there should be recourse. I want debate and transparency before my rights are trampled to save a squirrel.

All federal agencies have such powers, Ernie. There is administrative law and procedure restraints on their substance, and these rules can be challenged, but nonetheless, federal agencies can all make rules.

Christ, the Code of Federal Regulations must be over 30 volumes long. I think IRS alone has 5 volumes all to itself.

Maddie, I love the outdoors as much as anyone. I try to spend quite a bit of time in it when the weather allows.

HOWEVER, I also know that the reason California has rolling brown-outs every summer is because they haven't built a new power plant in 30 years. You know why that is? Two reasons....

1. NIMBY. Not In My BackYard.
2. The environmental wackos who feel that protecting every bird, frog, and toadstool is more important than the elderly people of California dropping like flies when their AC doesn't work in August.

There needs to be a balance, and that is something that the EPA and the radical environmentalists have absolutely no interest in.

Did you want a nuclear power plant, Anachronism? I used to be a violent opponent of them....nowadays, not so much.

Did you want a nuclear power plant, Anachronism? I used to be a violent opponent of them....nowadays, not so much.

I don't care what the plant is. I grew up in an area with three nuke plants. My father worked security at one for a while. Nuclear plants are no big deal so far as I'm concerned. I work in the electric utility industry. I understand what it is that is forcing these brown-outs. If there's no juice to send down the lines, there's no juice to run the AC, the microwave, the television, the X-Box or to charge that new Chevy Volt sitting in the driveway. Whether it's nuclear, coal, natural gas, trash burning, etc... If we don't start building new power plants lke TODAY, we're going to just get a lot worse, very soon.

I don't care what the plant is. I grew up in an area with three nuke plants. My father worked security at one for a while. Nuclear plants are no big deal so far as I'm concerned. I work in the electric utility industry. I understand what it is that is forcing these brown-outs. If there's no juice to send down the lines, there's no juice to run the AC, the microwave, the television, the X-Box or to charge that new Chevy Volt sitting in the driveway. Whether it's nuclear, coal, natural gas, trash burning, etc... If we don't start building new power plants lke TODAY, we're going to just get a lot worse, very soon.

I could prolly get behind this, Anachronism. I would still like some wild wolves....that be okay?

You twit.

pink_elephant1.jpg

You keep making that claim, sorry toots but we don't need liberal republicans go join your real buddies the Democrats. As I recall you also attacked your State party cause in one month they hadn't done what you wanted in a 2 year stint in power. Go figure. I have YET to see you attack democrats for anything.

Then you have not been paying attention, RGS. I lost my sense of awe in Obama by mid-2009. Ask Quantum Windbag...he's known me a long time, and not just from USMB.

nobody cares we're running out of wolves...........

nobody cares we're running out of wolves...........

You are wrong, you twit.

Why is agriculture given a pass when it comes to their bullshit programs? Talk about polluters.

And what the fuck is ethanol doing in our gas tanks?

Maybe this is why hydrocarbons always being targeted and singled out- it diverts attention from the real enviro-criminals- farmers.

I could prolly get behind this, Anachronism. I would still like some wild wolves....that be okay?

Madeline, I am as much of a lover of wolves and our other endangered species as you are. Trust me on that. Just don't get me started on what's happening to our wild horse population or you might not get me to stop talking for about a week.

The thing is that we need to find a balance here. Unless we are willing to accept rolling black-outs, cuts in electric service, and higher prices for the electricity that we do get, things have to change.

I'll give you an example.... The City of Worcester, MA has needed a new Vocational-Technical High School for 25 years. Back in the late 1980's they considered building one on a brownfield (abandoned industrial site) in town until the City saw what the cost of cleaning up the site was going to be. Considering it was going to become "dirty" again with the contaminants from a Voke-Tech school, the City made the case for only doing moderate remediation. The state told them "No Dice". If you want to use the site you have to clean it up 100%, even though we know your new usage of it will contaminate it (to a lesser degree) again.

In the late 1990's, the City selected another site; an abandoned Infectous Diseases hospital site. The catch was it would require taking a 3.5 acre parcel in an underused section of a City park to make the site large enough. In return for that 3.5 acre parcel, the City would add 25.4 acres of the hospital land which would not be used for the new school to the park, and add a conservation restriction on that land. Oh, and the old landfill would be capped and turned into public athletic fields.

However that wasn't enough for the Enviromental Nuts in Worcester. They tried to have the site declared a vegitated wetland, claimed the coyote population and the frog habitat would be destroyed, lied about the usage of the land, and several other things in an attempt to stop that site from being developed. Seven years, three lawsuits, more "Conservation" protesters and several attempts at sabotague later the new Worcester Vocational Technical High School (Worcester Voke) opened on that site. At a cost of only an extra $12.7 million dollars due to the lawsuits and other bologna.

At some point we have to take a step back and look at the bigger picture. There were no "vernal pools" on that site. The frogs in Green Hill Park cover the place like locusts every spring. The coyotes are a public nuisance that the animal control department has been begging the state to let them "remove" for years. The advantages of removing the eyesore and public health blight of the old hospital and landfill, developing that property, and giving the park more than 7 times the land back that was being taken obviously outweighed the slight inconvenience. However a small group of people (less than 2 dozen) held up a very necessary public works project for the better part of 5 years with their environmental clap-trap.

Forum List

Back