More economic good news, unemployment rate drops to 8.6%

Paul Ashworth, an economist at Capital Economics, estimates the economy will expand 2.5% in the last three months of this year. But he expects growth to slow to 1.5% in 2012, partly because of the crisis in Europe. And if Congress fails to extend the Social Security tax cut and long-term unemployment benefits this month, growth is likely to slow further.
Weak job growth means companies don't have to raise pay to keep their employees. Fewer jobs and lower pay leaves consumers with less money to spend. That's holding back economic growth

"...315,000 people had given up looking for work and were no longer counted as unemployed.

Employers added 120,000 jobs last month."

315,000 is bigger than 120,000.

You see that, right?

How is this "good news"?

210, 000 sept
100, 000 oct
120, 000 nov

>

320, 000

I'm sorry, do you have some form of Internet Tourettes that causes you to blurt things out?

yea, dude

chart-jobs-120211.monster.gif

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Teaft0Kg-Ok&feature=player_embedded]Nerdy white kid KILLS "Look at Me Now" (Mac Lethal) - YouTube[/ame]

Civilian Employment-Population Ratio at the worst levels since 1981. The only reason the unemployment rate fell is because their benefits have run out & the unemployed have given up on looking for work. This is a very bad sign for the economy & employment.

EMRATIO_Max_630_378.png

Most people in this thread failed statistics and/or have no idea how the data for these reports is derived. That's the only logical explanation for the amount of ignorance being displayed.

Last edited:
Civilian Employment-Population Ratio at the worst levels since 1981. The only reason the unemployment rate fell is because their benefits have run out & the unemployed have given up on looking for work. This is a very bad sign for the economy & employment.

EMRATIO_Max_630_378.png

I wonder why chris didn't mention the record number of people on food stamps?

The last thing the owners of this country (aka, the Job Creators) want is full employment.

Nothing sticks in their craw more than a bunch of uppity workers calling the shots.

Most people in this thread failed statistics and/or have no idea how the data for these reports is derived. That's the only logical explanation for the amount of ignorance being displayed.

Here's the problem with yer particular line of bullshit. Ya ready for it? The obiedoodle administration counted the census workers when they wanted the unemployment figures to go down. There's not a doubt in my mind they aren't doing the same damn thing right now.. so stick your head back up your ass and kerry on.

Here's the problem with yer particular line of bullshit. Ya ready for it? The obiedoodle administration counted the census workers when they wanted the unemployment figures to go down.

The administration doesn't count anything. The Bureau of Labor Statistics takes a telephone poll, the same poll they've been taking for years. The methodology has not changed.

There's not a doubt in my mind they aren't doing the same damn thing right now

Well of course! It's a conspiracy. The radio has taught you well. Good news for America is bad news for teabaggers.

Just think of what the numbers would look like if the republicans had not pulled the debt ceiling stunt in the summer to crush the mounting recovery at the time.

Hate to be a Debbie Downer but this is temporary good news. And i'm not sure i buy their numbers anymore. Businesses are still closing all over the place so i can't see how their number stayed at 9% for so long. I think by Election Time they'll be claiming Unemployment is down even more significantly. Just can't trust their numbers. But i guess we should take any good news we can get at this point. So enjoy your celebration.

Here's the problem with yer particular line of bullshit. Ya ready for it? The obiedoodle administration counted the census workers when they wanted the unemployment figures to go down. There's not a doubt in my mind they aren't doing the same damn thing right now.. so stick your head back up your ass and kerry on.

Hey 8537....

You were right

About time there was some actual movement. But is it real or are the numbers being manipulated by the government?

Actually, what the Bureau of Labor Statistics did with the census worker's numbers was count each time the worker was hired back after he'd been laid off for a few days as a job created. So to make it simple...one census job was actually counted several times as the worker was hired back each time. Commonly known as smoke and mirrors.

Hey 8537....

You were right

Show us where any other administration counted "Jobs Saved"? :eusa_whistle:

Sure it's good. Too bad though that the Christmas season won't last much past January..

It happens every year. You would think the libs would get it by now.

Maybe .1%, but .4%+ percent? Doubt it. We're recovering. If he can bring it below 8 percent by election day he will win in a landslide.

Yes. It's very good. And it is going to upset a lot of rightwingnuts. However, if they don't get a deal on payroll taxes for middle class workers, it's going to stall the nascent recovery.

But Grover moralist told them that letting payroll tax reductions aren't tax increases, but expiration of the bush tax cuts are. :dunno:

Hate to be a Debbie Downer but this is temporary good news. And i'm not sure i buy their numbers anymore. Businesses are still closing all over the place so i can't see how their number stayed at 9% for so long. I think by Election Time they'll be claiming Unemployment is down even more significantly. Just can't trust their numbers. But i guess we should take any good news we can get at this point. So enjoy your celebration.

You don't trust their numbers, Libocalypse now's retreadded handle?

Then, how did you/have you EVER known what Unemployment is, and who's numbers DO you trust?

ohrlly?

Hey 8537....

You were right

Show us where any other administration counted "Jobs Saved". :eusa_whistle:

Show where Jobs Saved is included in BLS statistics

Forum List

Back