More Economic GOOD NEWS: Unemployment falls

BINGO only if technology doesnt change.

Technology is changing daily.

So no BINGO my friend.

Not only that, but why isn't a drop in American productivity considered a bad thing?

That's a whole other debate.
First question is "why is there a drop?"

I have my theory.

"abuse by the employee of the rights of the employee"

You give the 5 sick days a year, the healthiest is sick 5 days a year.

You give them unlimited berevement days, many have many deaths in their families.

You give them "smoking" breaks, even those that dont smoke take them.

I can go on.

I guess I should feel fortunate that I don't have those "types" working for me.

Not only that, but why isn't a drop in American productivity considered a bad thing?

That's a whole other debate.
First question is "why is there a drop?"

I have my theory.

"abuse by the employee of the rights of the employee"

You give the 5 sick days a year, the healthiest is sick 5 days a year.

You give them unlimited berevement days, many have many deaths in their families.

You give them "smoking" breaks, even those that dont smoke take them.

I can go on.

I guess I should feel fortunate that I don't have those "types" working for me.

Ahh. Yes. It still comes down to the employer in the end. If the employer earns the respect of their employees, they will not abuse their privelages.

However, the larger the company, the harder it is for the emplyer to earn their respect as he or she has little personal interaction with them.

In my neck of the woods, many simply work for a paycheck. No allegience to employer, no dedication to cause. Simply a paycheck is what motivates them.

But that is NYC.

ISM: U.S. Manufacturing Expands In May

ISM: U.S. Manufacturing Expands In May
By Alan Zibel, AP Business Writer
Manufacturing.Net - June 01, 2010

WASHINGTON (AP) -- A private trade group says the U.S. manufacturing sector expanded in May, marking the 10th consecutive month of growth.

New orders, a gauge of future production, were unchanged at 65.7.

ISM says its employment index, which measures employers' willingness to hire, rose 1.3 percentage points to 59.8.
--------------------

This has got to be killing the Republicans. The only way the president can "fail" is if the country "fails". The country is not "failing". What will they resort to to make sure the country "fails"? That's what has me worried.

Unemployment falls in more areas in April - USATODAY.com

Unemployment rates fell in April for more than 90% of the nation's 372 largest metro areas as hiring picked up around the country.
The Labor Department says the jobless rate dropped in 346 areas last month. It rose in only 12 and remained flat in 14.

That's much better than in March, when unemployment fell in 257 areas and rose in 89.

Much of the improvement was seen in Midwestern regions with significant manufacturing operations. Manufacturers, who added 44,000 jobs nationwide in April, are benefiting from increasing foreign sales and efforts by retailers and other U.S. companies to restock their warehouses.

LOL, you think this is a reason to celebrate?

From your own link:

The report follows other recent signs that hiring has turned up. The nation's economy generated a net gain of 290,000 jobs in April. But the unemployment rate still rose to 9.9%. The government will announce May's unemployment rate Friday.

Yes, we should be celebrating that some places unemployment dropped below 15% !!!!

Keep on spinnin'!!!!!

Unemployment rates fell in April for more than 90% of the nation's 372 largest metro areas as hiring picked up around the country.
The Labor Department says the jobless rate dropped in 346 areas last month. It rose in only 12 and remained flat in 14.

That's much better than in March, when unemployment fell in 257 areas and rose in 89.

Much of the improvement was seen in Midwestern regions with significant manufacturing operations. Manufacturers, who added 44,000 jobs nationwide in April, are benefiting from increasing foreign sales and efforts by retailers and other U.S. companies to restock their warehouses.

From your own link:

The report follows other recent signs that hiring has turned up. The nation's economy generated a net gain of 290,000 jobs in April. But the unemployment rate still rose to 9.9%. The government will announce May's unemployment rate Friday.

Yes, we should be celebrating that some places unemployment dropped below 15% !!!!

Keep on spinnin'!!!!!

So lets get this straight.....Unemployment rates fell in April for more than 90% of the nation's 372 largest metro areas as hiring picked up around the country......and you bitch because it wasn't 100% ??

Even as the government reports more people are going to work, hundreds of thousands of people are filing first time unemployment claims every week. In the report that came out today:
In the week ending May 29, the advance figure for seasonally adjusted initial claims was 453,000, a decrease of 10,000 from the previous week's revised figure of 463,000. The 4-week moving average was 459,000, an increase of 1,750 from the previous week's revised average of 457,250.
ETA Press Release: Unemployment Insurance Weekly Claims Report

And I think an honest assessment would show that a disproportionate number of new jobs 'created' have been public sector jobs.

In April, the number of unemployed persons was 15.3 million, and the unemployment rate edged up to 9.9 percent. The rate had been 9.7 percent for the first 3 months of this year. (See table A-1.)

Among the major worker groups, the unemployment rate for whites (9.0 percent) edged up in April, while the rates for adult men (10.1 percent), adult women (8.2 percent), teenagers (25.4 percent), blacks (16.5 percent), and Hispanics (12.5 percent) showed little or no change. The jobless rate for Asians was 6.8 percent, not seasonally adjusted. (See tables A-1, A-2, and A-3.)

. . . .The number of long-term unemployed (those jobless for 27 weeks and over) continued to trend up over the month, reaching 6.7 million. In April, 45.9 percent of unemployed persons had been jobless for 27 weeks or more. (See table A-12.)

Among the unemployed, the number of reentrants to the labor force rose by 195,000 over the month.
http://www.bls.gov/news.release/pdf/empsit.pdf

I was listening to a commentator on the business channel early this morning who said at the current rate of job growth, it will take as much as a decade to put all the people back to work who have become unemployed as a result of this recession. And that doesn't even allow for the new jobs that will be needed due to population growth. Needless to say, if the government does provide amnesty for 12 million illegals, that will substantially exacerbate the problem.

Last edited:

From your own link:

Keep on spinnin'!!!!!

So lets get this straight.....Unemployment rates fell in April for more than 90% of the nation's 372 largest metro areas as hiring picked up around the country......and you bitch because it wasn't 100% ??

Of course...it's all they have these days. What else do they have to offer except reinstatement of failed Bush policies and bitching because Obama didn't turn our economy around on a dime? Sometimes, I think they truly believe that "Messiah" crap they spew...

From your own link:

Keep on spinnin'!!!!!

Of course...it's all they have these days. What else do they have to offer except reinstatement of failed Bush policies and bitching because Obama didn't turn our economy around on a dime? Sometimes, I think they truly believe that "Messiah" crap they spew...

To correct the record:

Mr. Obama assured America that a trillion dollars will acheive certain benchmarks. Like unemployment not going above 8% and major turnarounds in starting in 6 months.

The opposition said that spending (committing) a trillion dollars will NOT do that and instead may actually slow the recovery based on historic examples such as the lost decade of Japan.

Likewise, the opposition ALSO said that once those "promises" were not met, the administration will use its "gift for gab" to convince the people that any foward movement, no matter how small and no matter how far beyond the "benchmarks" should be credited to the stimulus.

It is not that We dont want to see forward movement. We simply do not want people to believe it is due to the stimulus money as we do not want to see what happened to Japan happen to us. Multiple stimuluses doing nothing more than wasting money and stunting economic growth.

To correct the record:

Mr. Obama assured America that a trillion dollars will acheive certain benchmarks. Like unemployment not going above 8% and major turnarounds in starting in 6 months.

The opposition said that spending (committing) a trillion dollars will NOT do that and instead may actually slow the recovery based on historic examples such as the lost decade of Japan.

Likewise, the opposition ALSO said that once those "promises" were not met, the administration will use its "gift for gab" to convince the people that any foward movement, no matter how small and no matter how far beyond the "benchmarks" should be credited to the stimulus.

It is not that We dont want to see forward movement. We simply do not want people to believe it is due to the stimulus money as we do not want to see what happened to Japan happen to us. Multiple stimuluses doing nothing more than wasting money and stunting economic growth.

And the GOP plan was to do WHAT exactly? And before you begin, please remember that Obama replaced a GOP POTUS and the recession started under same.

To correct the record:

And the GOP plan was to do WHAT exactly? And before you begin, please remember that Obama replaced a GOP POTUS and the recession started under same.

Thew GOP plan was tax breaks to those that created jobs.

And guess what. If it did not work, it would have cost us nothing.

Instead, it did not work and it cost us a commitment of a trillion dollars.

And for trhe record, recessions are natural phenomenons created primarily by market stauration. No one administration can create, nor avoid a recession.

An administration can only stunt it's recovery.

To correct the record:

If you see that your charted course is going to run you over a cliff, do you wonder if somebody else would have charted a different course? Do you wonder whether somebody else CAN chart a different course? Or do you just stop and not run off the cliff?

The catalyst for the bursting of the housing bubble that triggered the current recession began in the Carter administration but was pretty well managed during his and Reagan's administrations. It was exacerbated during the Clinton and Bush 43 administrations.

There is plenty of blame to go around there.

There is no excuse for continuing policy that obviously is not helping but is making the situation far worse than it otherwise would have been, however.

The thing to do is just stop. Stop and back off all the failing policies. Then regroup and rethink before moving ahead again.

To correct the record:

And for trhe record, recessions are natural phenomenons created primarily by market stauration. No one administration can create, nor avoid a recession.

Tax breaks mean loss of revenue to the fed. How do you consider that losing nothing?

The Bush tax breaks added $2.5 trillion to our national debt and we have nothing to show for them

Tax breaks mean loss of revenue to the fed. How do you consider that losing nothing?

I thought you were aware of the GOP plan. I guess you must only watch mauin stream media.

Read what I wrote. Tax breaks to those that CREATED jobs. You create a job, we will give you a tax break and we will make it up with less payout for unemployment as well as collection of income tax of the newly employed.

It was a no lose plan to try to stimulate the economy.

It was worth a shot.

Why were you not aware of this plan? Funny. All you heard was "the party of no ideas".

Shall I assume you are not aware of the film showing how those Israeli commandos were being beatedn by medal rods and and tossed overboard BEFORE they fired their guns?

I thought you were aware of the GOP plan. I guess you must only watch mauin stream media.

Read what I wrote. Tax breaks to those that CREATED jobs. You create a job, we will give you a tax break and we will make it up with less payout for unemployment as well as collection of income tax of the newly employed.

It was worth a shot.

Why were you not aware of this plan? Funny. All you heard was "the party of no ideas".

Shall I assume you are not aware of the film showing how those Israeli commandos were being beatedn by medal rods and and tossed overboard BEFORE they fired their guns?

There's that "if" word you seem to hate so much when RW uses it....so your plan is based on "if" as well?

Screw the Turks and Israeli's....let them fight amongst themselves....it is NOT OUR FIGHT.

It was worth a shot.

There's that "if" word you seem to hate so much when RW uses it....so your plan is based on "if" as well?

Screw the Turks and Israeli's....let them fight amongst themselves....it is NOT OUR FIGHT.

Where did I use the word "if"?

I brought that up about the flotilla thing as it has been found that most of the main stream media opted NOT to show the tape of the events as they unfolded.

Funny, the MSM could not wait to show that film of the man screaming at a congressman and acidentally spitting on him as he screamed.......but a film of a few Israeli commandos being jumped beaten stabbed and tossed overboard PRIOR to them drawing their weapons? The MSM deemed it was not necessary to show that film as they reported on a story about how 9 innocent humanitarian activists were massacred by Israeli soldiers.

I wonder why that is?

Last edited:

From your own link:

Keep on spinnin'!!!!!

I'm not bitching about anything. I'm laughing at you and your spin job of a post.

Hey, here is more "good news":

WASHINGTON – Job creation by private companies grew at the slowest pace since the start of the year, as a wave of census hiring lifted payrolls by 431,000 in May. The unemployment rate dipped to 9.7 percent as people gave up searching for work.

The Labor Department's new employment snapshot released Friday suggested that outside of the burst of hiring of temporary census workers by the federal government many private employers are wary of bulking up their work forces.

That indicates the economic recovery may not bring relief fast enough for millions of Americans who are unemployed.

Virtually all the job creation in May came from the hiring of 411,000 census workers. Such hiring peaked in May and will begin tailing off in June.

By contrast, hiring by private employers, the backbone of the economy, slowed sharply. They added just 41,000 jobs, down from 218,000 in April and the fewest since January.

"Although the economic outlook is improving, the recovery is still pretty tepid," said Paul Ashworth, senior U.S. economist at Capital Economics.

President Barack Obama acknowledged that temporary census jobs drove the overall payroll gain. But he said private sector hiring is growing. He noted five straight months of job gains after devastating losses from the recession. He said the recovery is still in its early stages, and that it will be uneven in the months ahead.

Economy adds 431K jobs but few in private sector - Yahoo! News

Where did I blame Obama? Personally I don't believe the President has jack shit to do with the economy, its much more on Congress with taxes and laws that add costs to private industry, such as mandated health care.

From your own link:

Keep on spinnin'!!!!!

Like Obama said... They drove the car into the ditch, now they're standing by and complaining that we aren't pulling it out fast enough... And there's a dent on the fender... :rolleyes:

Forum List

Back