More Economic GOOD NEWS: Unemployment falls

rightwinger

Award Winning USMB Paid Messageboard Poster
Aug 4, 2009
Unemployment falls in more areas in April - USATODAY.com

Unemployment rates fell in April for more than 90% of the nation's 372 largest metro areas as hiring picked up around the country.
The Labor Department says the jobless rate dropped in 346 areas last month. It rose in only 12 and remained flat in 14.

That's much better than in March, when unemployment fell in 257 areas and rose in 89.

Much of the improvement was seen in Midwestern regions with significant manufacturing operations. Manufacturers, who added 44,000 jobs nationwide in April, are benefiting from increasing foreign sales and efforts by retailers and other U.S. companies to restock their warehouses.

Unemployment rates fell in April for more than 90% of the nation's 372 largest metro areas as hiring picked up around the country.
The Labor Department says the jobless rate dropped in 346 areas last month. It rose in only 12 and remained flat in 14.

That's much better than in March, when unemployment fell in 257 areas and rose in 89.

Much of the improvement was seen in Midwestern regions with significant manufacturing operations. Manufacturers, who added 44,000 jobs nationwide in April, are benefiting from increasing foreign sales and efforts by retailers and other U.S. companies to restock their warehouses.

Wait for it...

Wait for it...

Wait for what?

I'm sure everyone will celebrate more Americans going back to work

Wait for it...

Wait for what?

I'm sure everyone will celebrate more Americans going back to work

Get back to reality QUICK! If the GOP was hoping for a terrorist attack to bring steam to the McCain/Palin campaign, what do you think they are hoping for on the economic/jobs front?

This is great news and anyone dissatisfied with it cares more about their party then their country! :clap2:

I especially like this news. Manufacturing must increase.

However, not all is great! :eusa_angel:
Joblessness is still widespread, with 14 metro areas recording unemployment rates of 15% or above in April. But that's down from 28 areas in March.

Wonderful news! And it's all because the Obama White House has been offering people jobs to drop out of various political races.

Wow....that was lame even for YOU.

Lame? Now I'm hurt.

How about this?

And it's all because the Obama White House has been offering people jobs to clean up the Gulf Coast beaches during his visit for a photo op.

That's a LITTLE better. At least those jobs are paying jobs...

Wonderful news! And it's all because the Obama White House has been offering people jobs to drop out of various political races.

"The data on Thursday came ahead of the government's closely watched employment report on Friday, which is expected to show non-farm payrolls increased 513,000 in May, buoyed by hiring for the decennial census, after a 290,000 increase in April. That would mark five straight months of job gains.

Separately, private employers added 55,000 jobs in May after increasing payrolls by 65,000 the prior month, an ADP Employer Services report showed. Though the ADP report was weaker than forecast, analysts said it offered evidence the labor market was getting better.

Some companies have held off hiring new workers, opting instead to add hours for the existing workforce, but analysts believe this policy cannot be adopted indefinitely.

"When the recovery first started, businesses could get more out of their existing workforces, but that's becoming more and more difficult," said Gus Faucher, director of macroeconomics for Moody's Analytics in West Chester, Pennsylvania.

"We are starting to see employment pick-up so we expect to see productivity growth weaken and job growth pick up as a result."

92.gif

But overall Unemployment still went up. Note that this report is just the metropolitan area data from April. Tomorrow we get the National rate for May. So while it is a good sign that the cities improved, the national rate still went up in April. And it might go up again tomorrow...should be interesting.

Now all this is going to do is make the GOP brass begin to wring their hands. :clap2:

"OH NOW! THINGS ARE GETTING BETTER!"

Would someone please explain this little bit to me:
"We are starting to see employment pick-up so we expect to see productivity growth weaken and job growth pick up as a result."
How would job growth begin if productivity weakens? What am I missing here? :confused:

But overall Unemployment still went up. Note that this report is just the metropolitan area data from April. Tomorrow we get the National rate for May. So while it is a good sign that the cities improved, the national rate still went up in April.
Not a prob.....

"A gauge of online demand for labor in the United States rose in May for the fourth straight month to the highest level since November 2008http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE6520H420100603, a private research group said on Thursday.

Monster Worldwide Inc, an online careers and recruiting firm, said its employment index rose to 134 points in May from 133 in April, indicating the demand for labor is strengthening.

The index for May marks the highest year-over-year growth rate since its peak in April 2007, Monster said. In May 2009, the index stood at 118."

92.gif

How would job growth begin if productivity weakens? What am I missing here? :confused:

As productivity declines, you need more people to do the same amount of work.

BINGO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:clap2:

(You're gonna have to turn-on California Girl to some o' that analytical-thinkin' stuff....if that's possible.)​

Last edited:
good....i truly hope the economy recovers to what it was under most of the bush years...and then gets even better...however, i hope we don't have another economic bubble like the housing bubble which was a major reason for the economic downturn...the market and economy is stabilizing, a good thing

(You're gonna have to turn-on California Girl to some o' that analytical-thinkin' stuff....if that's possible.)​

BINGO only if technology doesnt change.

Technology is changing daily.

So no BINGO my friend.

So no BINGO my friend.

Not only that, but why isn't a drop in American productivity considered a bad thing?

So no BINGO my friend.

Not only that, but why isn't a drop in American productivity considered a bad thing?

That's a whole other debate.
First question is "why is there a drop?"

I have my theory.

"abuse by the employee of the rights of the employee"

You give the 5 sick days a year, the healthiest is sick 5 days a year.

You give them unlimited berevement days, many have many deaths in their families.

You give them "smoking" breaks, even those that dont smoke take them.

I can go on.

Forum List

Back