More economic GOOD NEWS.....Factory orders increase, jobless claims fall

rightwinger

Award Winning USMB Paid Messageboard Poster
Aug 4, 2009
Economy: Factory orders increase, jobless claims fall - USATODAY.com

WASHINGTON (AP) — Reports released Thursday show that the U.S. economy is still recovering, albeit it slowly, from the economic crisis.
The reports show:

• Orders to U.S. factories increased in April as a big surge in demand for commercial aircraft offset weakness in a number of other areas.

• Jobless benefit claims dropped 10,000 last week to a seasonally adjusted 453,000, according to the Labor Department.

The Commerce Department said that orders for manufactured goods increased 1.2% in April, a slowdown from a 1.7% rise in March. Excluding transportation, orders actually fell 0.5%, the poorest showing in 13 months. However, that drop followed a big 3.8% surge in March which had been the largest advance in six years.

So far in this recovery, the manufacturing sector has been one of the star performers, helped by a strong rebound in domestic demand and rising export sales

February 03, 2010

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvNzyvSwmRQ&feature=player_embedded]YouTube - Sen. Sherrod Brown (D-OH) asks Pres. Obama about manufacturing and energy policy[/ame]

Why does FAUX Noise hate America??!!!

:confused:

Can you stop cheerleading for even one second to read what you actually posted? It was a dismal showing buoyed by basically one time orders. This is how many months into this recession?

WASHINGTON (AP) — Reports released Thursday show that the U.S. economy is still recovering, albeit it slowly, from the economic crisis.
The reports show:

• Orders to U.S. factories increased in April as a big surge in demand for commercial aircraft offset weakness in a number of other areas.

• Jobless benefit claims dropped 10,000 last week to a seasonally adjusted 453,000, according to the Labor Department.

The Commerce Department said that orders for manufactured goods increased 1.2% in April, a slowdown from a 1.7% rise in March. Excluding transportation, orders actually fell 0.5%, the poorest showing in 13 months. However, that drop followed a big 3.8% surge in March which had been the largest advance in six years.

So far in this recovery, the manufacturing sector has been one of the star performers, helped by a strong rebound in domestic demand and rising export sales

Interesting how slowly this recession is taking to recover.

When was the last time something like this took so long to recover?

Wasnt it when the government spent billions to stimulate it?

Can you stop cheerleading for even one second to read what you actually posted? It was a dismal showing buoyed by basically one time orders. This is how many months into this recession?

One time orders are still orders my friend

Increases in demand for commercial aircraft help the sector.......

Got something against GOOD NEWS old friend?

Oh...I forgot....you are still rooting for the economy to FAIL

The reports show:

1930s under Hoover first and then FDR. Recession lasted basically until 1940.

I don't have to root for it. It is not the economy that is failing but Obama's policies which have prolonged this recession and are about to produce a double dip into depression when municipals go the way of sub prime.

Actually, we are rooting for people like you to ONCE IN A WHILE give credit to the real heros of any recovery.

The American People.

The reports show:

The last time was 70 years ago during the Great Depression

Republicans screwed that one up too

The reports show:

Hmmmm...interersting how you and I see history differently.
Now I understand why we do not see eye to eye on most things.

The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) was a public work relief program for unemployed men age 18-24, providing unskilled manual labor related to the conservation and development of natural resources in rural areas of the United States from 1933 to 1942. As part of the New Deal legislation proposed by President Franklin D. Roosevelt (FDR), the CCC was designed to provide relief for unemployed youth who had a very hard time finding jobs during the Great Depression while implementing a general natural resource conservation program on public lands in every U.S. state, including the territories of Alaska, Hawaii, Puerto Rico, and the U.S. Virgin Islands.

The CCC became the most popular New Deal program among the general public, providing jobs for a total of 3 million young men from families on relief.[1] Implicitly the CCC also led to awareness and appreciation of the outdoors and the nation's natural resources, especially for city youth.[2] The CCC was never considered a permanent program and depended on emergency and temporary legislation for its existence.[3] On June 30, 1942 Congress voted to eliminate funding for the CCC, formally ceasing active operation of the program.

During the time of the CCC, volunteers planted nearly 3 billion trees to help reforest America, constructed more than 800 parks nationwide that would become the start of most state parks, developed forest fire fighting methods and a network of thousands of miles of public roadways, and constructed buildings connecting the nation's public lands.

Civilian Conservation Corps - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I wonder how long the CCC prolonged the depression by keeping wages artificially high and moving taxes from the productive to the non productive.
Obama can follow this example and hire people to dig ditches. Then he can hire other people to fill them in.

I don't have to root for it. It is not the economy that is failing but Obama's policies which have prolonged this recession and are about to produce a double dip into depression when municipals go the way of sub prime.

Its easy to live in a land of make believe isn't it? Woulda, coulda, shoulda

If only Obama did nothing....we would all be millionaires by now.
Obama's policies are going to throw us into DEPRESSION

You can imagine anything you want. The fact is obama's policies were implemented and the economy IS recovering

Yes, in looking backward FDR could have done things differently. He could have adopted Hoovers hands off, let the economy recover on its own. Of course, hundreds of thousands of Americans would be starving and homeless without FDRs assistance.

The economy "may" have recovered faster.....the people wouldn't have

I wonder how long the CCC prolonged the depression by keeping wages artificially high and moving taxes from the productive to the non productive.
Obama can follow this example and hire people to dig ditches. Then he can hire other people to fill them in.

Are you implying the CCC did nothing more than "make work"?

You are one twisted individual

Yes, in looking backward FDR could have done things differently. He could have adopted Hoovers hands off, let the economy recover on its own. Of course, hundreds of thousands of Americans would be starving and homeless without FDRs assistance.

Or....

The economy would have recovered fast enough so the people would only have to suffer for a period of time.

Americans have suffered through things many times in the past. It is a part of life.
But now it is all about taking risks and losing the gamble but not wanting to suffer the consequences. And now we have an administration that rewards you for making bad decisions.

Suffering is not always a bad thing.

Or....

The economy would have recovered fast enough so the people would only have to suffer for a period of time.

Americans have suffered through things many times in the past. It is a part of life.
But now it is all about taking risks and losing the gamble but not wanting to suffer the consequences. And now we have an administration that rewards you for making bad decisions.

People were already suffering when FDR took office. Hoover was President for three years after the 1929 Stock Market Crash. His answer was a hands off government, let the economy recover by itself and "Prosperity is just around the corner". People were already homeless....remember "Hoovervilles"??

Suffering in the early 1930s was not part of life and it was a bad thing. People were starving, letting private charity take care of them was not working. On top of that, you had the largest ecological disaster in US History....The Dust Bowl. The entire midwest blew away leaving people with nothing.

Conservatives still say we should have let them starve, weed out the weak and unlucky and have only the strongest survive. It may have been best for the economy, but not the people.......and personally, I care more about the people

A part of the CCC was the requirement to send money home. If anyone reviews all the contempt of the New Deal, then apparently Republicans oppose that. In Arizona, for example, there are likely all kinds of recent immigrants: Sending Money home

People know a popular program when they see one: Such as U. S. Immigration policy at this time. Republicans oppose it.

Then there is the Social Security Act. It passed, in both federal chambers. It was set up to send money home.

Social Security Online - HISTORY: Vote tallies on 1935 law

Ronald Reagan, as President, would describe it as one of the more successful social programs in all of history.

That is because Ronald Reagan knew a thing or two about chimpanzees, but not very much about European, Christian, Social Democracy.

But then. . .there weregood times to recall, when he knew a thing or two about the hooch part: Of The Message of Jesus Christ--more often, than not!

"Crow, James Crow: Shaken, Not Stirred!"
(Hot Dry Desert, of Twenty Mule Team: Is a history of creating strange people of all kinds! History knows about "The Reagan Trajectory," of bloated federal spending for the rich! Ivy League keeps Promise, Even Now!)

Last edited:

Or....

People were already suffering when FDR took office. Hoover was President for three years after the 1929 Stock Market Crash. His answer was a hands off government, let the economy recover by itself and "Prosperity is just around the corner". People were already homeless....remember "Hoovervilles"??

Suffering in the early 1930s was not part of life and it was a bad thing. People were starving, letting private charity take care of them was not working. On top of that, you had the largest ecological disaster in US History....The Dust Bowl. The entire midwest blew away leaving people with nothing.

. It may have been best for the economy, but not the people.......and personally, I care more about the people

I take offense to you saying "Conservatives still say we should have let them starve, weed out the weak and unlucky and have only the strongest survive" as I am a conservative and that is just horse shit rhetoric.

We say, the more WE struggle, the more likely WE will find a way to survive.

We wanted (and now want) what is best for the people. Not what is best for the economy. However, the desire of each individual to survive will result in a healthier economy.

You seem to be taking the conservative message and adjusting it to meet your agenda.

Why must you play that game? Are you so insecure with the merits of your thinking?

Forum List

Back