more bad news for beekeepers

strollingbones

Diamond Member
Sep 19, 2008
chicken farm
ATLANTA -- The Georgia Department of Agriculture confirmed on Thursday that Africanized honey bees -- more commonly known as "killer bees" -- were responsible for the death of an elderly man in southwest Georgia last week.

The Dougherty County man disturbed a colony of the bees with his bulldozer, and received more than 100 bee stings.

Africanized bees are a hybrid of African and European honey bees. The Africanized bee and the more familiar European honey bee, which is Georgia's official state insect, look the same. They both are only able to sting once, and there is no difference between the venom produced by each variety.

The difference is that Africanized honey bees are extremely defensive and are likely to defend a much wider area around their nest. They are also very aggressive, and will sting individuals in large numbers.

Africanized bees first appeared in the United States in Texas in 1990. They have since been found in New Mexico, Arizona, California, Nevada, Utah, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Louisiana, Florida, and now in Georgia. Experts have been expecting the arrival of the killer bees in Georgia for several years. A breeding population of the bees have been in Florida since 2005

Killer Bees Responsible for Georgia Death - 11Alive.com | WXIA | Atlanta, GA

one of the largest problems face is the breeding of queens....most of that is happening in the south...queen breeders are up against the wall.....afraid queens will mate with african drones...

seems keeping bees is becoming harder and harder and much more expensive

Oh wow, that just sucks! I have always wanted to keep beehives, but if they're in Georgia, it's just a matter of time before they show up here.

I'll have to just stick to my plan of raising sheep for wool, processing it myself, dyeing and spinning it, then using a loom to make rugs.

Have you priced those looms? Good lord, you could buy a house! And sheep aren't cheap, either. But I want to go on a rug kick when I'm done with the quilting kick.

african-bee.jpg

Texas was invaded by these bees years ago, and guess what?

My philosophy of : If I ignore THEM, they'll ignore ME is still working.

It also works with wasps, hornets, etc.

I don't steal their food/labor, nor kill 'em,

and they pollinate my plants,

for FREE!

It's a Win-Win sitch.

Meanwhile Italian honey bee hives are disappearing thanks to some kind of disease wiping them out.

Another instance of illegals entering from the south just like fire ants and Mexicans. All detrimental the the United States. Seen where Hawaii had a little fire ant infestation. Said they eradicated it but we will see. So many organisms have been transported across the oceans that the diversified world ecology is under attack. Could it be long before all the diversity is gone and the same insects exist all over?

The bee situation is a warning on what happens when 2 different breeds are bred, generating a bee that is more aggressive and produces less honey. It is only a matter of time before they reach the midwest. Progress has its issues.

If the Theory of Evolution is correct shouldn't these African bees be turning white as they migrate away from the Home Country?

It DOES make one wEnder...

Are they black insects, with yellow markings?

OR

yellow insects, with black markings?

Enquiring Minds want to KNOW, damn it! ;)

Last edited:
beekeepers are learning to handle the african bees.....you dress like an astronut and have a damn smoker from hell...they will however produce more honey...

it will be like fire ants and other dangerous things....we will learn to deal with them...

beekeepers are learning to handle the african bees.....you dress like an astronut and have a damn smoker from hell...they will however produce more honey...

it will be like fire ants and other dangerous things....we will learn to deal with them...

Or Muslims?

The only time these bees will go postal is when you get too close their hive. When they are out making the bacon for the hive there is no difference in their temperment than any other honey bee.

The only time these bees will go postal is when you get too close their hive. When they are out making the bacon for the hive there is no difference in their temperment than any other honey bee.

Except they will go on deadly rampages if you accidentally bump their hive.

Forum List

Back