More Americans identify as Independent

Mac1958

Diamond Member
Dec 8, 2011
Opposing Authoritarian Ideological Fundamentalism.
Admittedly I only put so much weight in any poll, so let's just classify this as "hopeful thinking".

Independent: 43%
Republican: 27%
Democrat: 27%

Independents will usually vote for one of the two main parties depending on the candidates, but this is a very hopeful sign. As the nutters on both ends get most of the attention, America continues to weaken.

Hopefully more and more will begin to consider a strong third party.

Admittedly I only put so much weight in any poll, so let's just classify this as "hopeful thinking".

Independents will usually vote for one of the two main parties depending on the candidates, but this is a very hopeful sign. As the nutters on both ends get most of the attention, America continues to weaken.

The Dems are bleeding members--shocker.

Thought it was going to read ,

More Americans identify as bananas

The problem for Democrats is that their radical side includes the whole party. On the other hand, the Republican radicals, neocons, are even hated by the America first Republicans. Democrats ALL vote for crazy bullshit like defund or disband police, totally open borders, higher taxes, amnesty and full benefits for illegal aliens, student loan bailouts, etc. etc. They favor racist CRT, woke craziness, smash and grab, lockdowns and mandates, letting murderers walk free, censoring speech, sex change for children and they fight every attempt to ensure free and fair elections. That's why the independents who haven't been brainwashed by our education system will overwhelmingly vote for republicans, if only to counter the crazies. MAGA

Last edited:

Imagine if an independent could get all the independents, they could change US politics

The significant majority of voters in MA are registered independents, but vote democrat 100% of the time.

Just goes to show how weak, and ineffectual those who stand for nothing really are. They have the numbers; yet still bow to one side or the other. Pathetic...

Those who obediently fall in line with a tribe are the weak ones.

Man up and think for yourself for a change.
It might come as a surprise, but very few "obediently fall in line". Most believe, push, and promote out of conviction. Something a fence sitter like you couldn't possibly understand. That's why unlike the Democrats; you see open infighting within the party. There is no hive mind for the Republicans.

Last edited:
It might come as a surprise, but very few "obediently fall in line". Most believe, push, and promote out of conviction. Something a fence sitter like you couldn't possibly understand. That's why unlike the Democrats; you see open infighting within the party. There is no hive mind for the Republicans.
There is little difference between the two sides of the duopoly. The two party system is a terrible failure. When will the people realize it?

/---/ That's because the Republicans have been demonized, while the democRATs are demons. Being an Indie is a alternative.

1705146963542.png

So think about it.

The rise in "Independent" voters is because of dissatisfaction with some aspect of the source party. If anyone were to ask me my party affiliation right now I'd answer "Independent" as I'm a GOP Never-Trumper. But prior to FPOTUS#45 I voted GOP since 1978 casting my first Presidential vote for Reagan in 1980. I even voted GOP in 2016 and voted for Kasich twice (once in the primary and as a write in on the general).

In Virginia, there is no party affiliation requirement, the limitation is you can vote in only 1 primary. So if an individuals preferred candidate looks like a shoe-in, they are free to vote in the other parties primary in an attempt to make their preferred candidate face-off with the weakest challenger.

Now if you look at California, the graphic lists it is a modified primary state. What that means is for California the Party must notify the Secretary of State at least 135 days before the primary whether they choose a "Closed" primary (only voters registered for that party can vote) or a "Modified" primary (only voters register with that party OR those registered as "no party affiliation" can vote).

Finally, you have states like Florida with closed primaries, you can only vote in the primary if you are registered with that party affiliation.

Open and closed primaries have their advantages and disadvantages. Closed primary for a party means it's the party making the selection, but because independents are excluded, the moderating forces they present will have less impact on the primary. Another way to say that it becomes easier for a party wackadoodle to get on the general election ballot. Conversely in open primary states it becomes possible for "independents" to game the system if they are confident their candidate will win buy voting in the other parties primary to attempt to get the least attractive opponent for their guy.

With closed primaries, candidate have to drive to the extreme (left or right) to survive the primary process. Which can actually make for a less attractive candidate for the general population being present on the general ballot.
What is the answer with the above deficiencies? Honestly, I don't know. I've been mentally toying around with the idea of not having party primaries at all. But more of an elimination round. A single primary day, one ballot with all names, and the top two or three are then on the general ballot.

WW

Forum List

Back