Morality and Abstract Thinking : How Africans may differ from Westerners

abu afak

ALLAH SNACKBAR!
Mar 3, 2006
Ever wonder why it's so frustrating to debate Blacks, especially sub-Saharan Blacks?
They have no debate integrity, feel free to just drop being caught in a lie, and just tell another in the next post.
No links with numbers/quantifications, just ie, "I know smart black guy so whites can't on average be smarter."
Everything is "white Privilege". Until I/others bring in Asians. OOOPS.
They have no answer for that.
Their concept of race/racism is only black/white.
Not embarrassed at all. They just keep posting.

Morality and Abstract Thinking : How Africans may differ from Westerners – Gedaliah Braun
Posted on May 1, 2012
How Africans may differ from Westerners
by Gedaliah Braun

I am an American who taught philosophy in several African universities from 1976 to 1988, and have lived since that time in South Africa. When I first came to Africa, I knew virtually nothing about the continent or its people, but I began learning quickly. I noticed, for example, that Africans rarely kept promises and saw no need to apologize when they broke them. It was as if they were unaware they had done anything that called for an apology.

It took many years for me to understand why Africans behaved this way but I think I can now explain this and other behavior that characterizes Africa. I believe that morality requires abstract thinking — as does planning for the future — and that a relative deficiency in abstract thinking may explain many things that are typically African.
[.....]
My first inklings about what may be a deficiency in abstract thinking came from what I began to learn about African languages. In a conversation with students in Nigeria I asked how you would say that a coconut is about halfway up the tree in their local language. “You can’t say that,” they explained. “All you can say is that it is ‘up’.” “How about right at the top?” “Nope; just ‘up’.” In other words, there appeared to be no way to express gradations.
[......]
But if the size of a language is limited, it follows that the number of concepts it contains will also be limited and hence that both language and thinking will be impoverished.
African languages were, of necessity, sufficient in their pre-colonial context. They are impoverished only by contrast to Western languages and in an Africa trying to emulate the West.
[......]
So I called the University of South Africa, a large correspondence university in Pretoria, and spoke to a young black guy. As has so often been my experience in Africa, we hit it off from the start. He understood my interest in Zulu and found my questions of great interest. He explained that the Zulu word for “precision” means “to make like a straight line.” Was this part of indigenous Zulu? No; this was added by the compilers of the dictionary.

But, he assured me, it was otherwise for “promise.” I was skeptical. How about “obligation?” We both had the same dictionary (English-Zulu, Zulu-English Dictionary, Witwatersrand Univ Press 1958), and looked it up. The Zulu entry means “as if to bind one’s feet.” He said that was not indigenous but was added by the compilers. But if Zulu didn’t have the concept of obligation, how could it have the concept of a promise, since a promise is simply the oral undertaking of an obligation? I was interested in this, I said, because Africans often failed to keep promises and never apologized — as if this didn’t warrant an apology.

A Light Bulb seemed to go on in his mind. Yes, he said; in fact, the Zulu word for promise — isithembiso — is Not the correct word. When a black person “promises” he means “maybe I will and maybe I won’t.”
But, I said, this makes nonsense of promising, the very purpose of which is to bind one to a course of action. When one is not sure he can do something he may say, “I will try but I can’t promise.” He said he’d heard whites say that and had never understood it till now. As a young Romanian friend so aptly summed it up, when a black person “promises” he means “I’ll try.”

The failure to keep promises is therefore not a language problem. It is hard to believe that after living with whites for so long they would not learn the correct meaning, and it is too much of a coincidence that the same phenomenon is found in Nigeria, Kenya and Papua New Guinea, where I have also lived. It is much more likely that Africans generally lack the very concept and hence cannot give the word its correct meaning. This would seem to indicate some difference in intellectual capacity.

Note the Zulu entry for obligation: “as if to bind one’s feet.” An obligation binds you, but it does so morally, not physically. It is an abstract concept, which is why there is no word for it in Zulu. So what did the authors of the dictionary do? They took this abstract concept and made it concrete. Feet, rope, and tying are all tangible and observable, and therefore things all blacks will understand, whereas many will not understand what an obligation is. The fact that they had to define it in this way is, by itself, compelling evidence for my conclusion that Zulu thought has few abstract concepts and indirect evidence for the view that Africans may be deficient in abstract thinking.
[......]
It has long seemed to me that blacks tend to lack self-awareness. If such awareness is necessary for developing abstract concepts it is not surprising that African languages have so few abstract terms. A lack of self-awareness — or introspection — has advantages. In my experience neurotic behavior, characterized by excessive and unhealthy self-consciousness, is uncommon among blacks. I am also confident that sexual dysfunction, which is characterized by excessive self-consciousness, is less common among blacks than whites.

Time is another abstract concept with which Africans seem to have difficulties. I began to wonder about this in 1998. Several Africans drove up in a car and parked right in front of mine, blocking it. “Hey,” I said, “you can’t park here.” “Oh, are you about to leave?” they asked in a perfectly polite and friendly way. “No,” I said, “but I might later. Park over there” — and they did.

While the possibility that I might want to leave later was obvious to me, their thinking seemed to encompass only the here and now: “If you’re leaving right now we understand, but otherwise, what’s the problem?” I had other such encounters and the key question always seemed to be, “Are you leaving now?” The future, after all, does not exist. It will exist, but doesn’t exist now. People who have difficulty thinking of things that do not exist will ipso facto have difficulty thinking about the future.
[......]
More accurately, these concepts simply do not exist in Xhosa, which, along with Zulu, is one of the two most widely spoken languages in South Africa. In America, blacks are said to have a “tendency to approximate space, numbers and time instead of aiming for complete accuracy.” (Star, June 8, 1988) In other words, they are also poor at math. Notice the identical triumvirate — space, numbers, and time. Is it just a coincidence that these three highly abstract concepts are the ones with which blacks — everywhere — seem to have such difficulties?

The entry in the Zulu dictionary for “number,” by the way — ningi — means “numerous,” which is not at all the same as the concept of number. It is clear, therefore, that there is no concept of number in Zulu.

White rule in South Africa ended in 1994. It was about ten years later that power outages began, which eventually reached crisis proportions. The principle reason for this is simply lack of maintenance on the generating equipment. Maintenance is future-oriented...

much more at link above
`

This doesn't make a lot of sense....

Africa has 3000 distinct ethnic groups and 2000 languages.

It is home to the most genetically diverse group of people on Earth.

It is the SECOND LARGEST continent in the world.

I find it incomprehensible that you can lump all those diverse cultures into one way of thinking.

I find it incomprehensible that you can lump all those diverse cultures into one way of thinking.

What you've posted is colloquially known as bullshit. Every black African country is, and has always been, a shithole. And, all that genetic diversity doesn't give them genes linked to larger brains and higher IQs, or beautiful blonds.

What you've posted is colloquially known as bullshit. Every black African country is, and has always been, a shithole. And, all that genetic diversity doesn't give them genes linked to larger brains and higher IQs, or beautiful blonds.

3000 distinct ethnic groups and 2000 languages....

Use your brain. Or...what is left of it.

The usual Dishonest/Obtuse attempt at ambiguity.
Cherry-picked from some Unlinked website.

You're not smart enough for this debate either.
The languages we are debating arte sub-Saharan BLACK, not just 'African'...
not ie, Arab North Africa, etc. Duh.

mostly widely spoken sub-saharan languages - Google Search

of Africa are widely used for inter-ethnic communication.Oct 12, 2009
Languages of Africa
www.focac.org/eng/zjfz/fzzl/t619829.htm
Search for: What is one of the main languages spoken in sub Saharan Africa?
What is the main language in sub Saharan Africa?
Three of the Six Dominant languages in Subsaharan Africa—spoken by at least ten million people or more—are spoken in Nigeria: Hausa, Yoruba, and Ibo. The three remaining major languages of Subsaharan Africa are Swahili, Lingala, and Zulu.

Your DISHONEST and Obtuse Leftist POS attempt at ambiguation instead of clarity... FAILED.
And there is NO evidence any of the smaller ones are more sophisticated.
Bushmen 'clicks' no doubt are even more primitive/concept-lacking.
NEXT!
`

Last edited:
Ever wonder why it's so frustrating to debate Blacks, especially sub-Saharan Blacks?
They have no debate integrity, feel free to just drop being caught in a lie, and just tell another in the next post.
No links with numbers/quantifications, just ie, "I know smart black guy so whites can't on average be smarter."

Morality and Abstract Thinking : How Africans may differ from Westerners – Gedaliah Braun
Posted on May 1, 2012
by Gedaliah Braun

I am an American who taught philosophy in several African universities from 1976 to 1988, and have lived since that time in South Africa. When I first came to Africa, I knew virtually nothing about the continent or its people, but I began learning quickly. I noticed, for example, that Africans rarely kept promises and saw no need to apologize when they broke them. It was as if they were unaware they had done anything that called for an apology.

It took many years for me to understand why Africans behaved this way but I think I can now explain this and other behavior that characterizes Africa. I believe that morality requires abstract thinking — as does planning for the future — and that a relative deficiency in abstract thinking may explain many things that are typically African.
[.....]
My first inklings about what may be a deficiency in abstract thinking came from what I began to learn about African languages. In a conversation with students in Nigeria I asked how you would say that a coconut is about halfway up the tree in their local language. “You can’t say that,” they explained. “All you can say is that it is ‘up’.” “How about right at the top?” “Nope; just ‘up’.” In other words, there appeared to be no way to express gradations.
[......]
But if the size of a language is limited, it follows that the number of concepts it contains will also be limited and hence that both language and thinking will be impoverished.
African languages were, of necessity, sufficient in their pre-colonial context. They are impoverished only by contrast to Western languages and in an Africa trying to emulate the West.
[......]
So I called the University of South Africa, a large correspondence university in Pretoria, and spoke to a young black guy. As has so often been my experience in Africa, we hit it off from the start. He understood my interest in Zulu and found my questions of great interest. He explained that the Zulu word for “precision” means “to make like a straight line.” Was this part of indigenous Zulu? No; this was added by the compilers of the dictionary.

But, he assured me, it was otherwise for “promise.” I was skeptical. How about “obligation?” We both had the same dictionary (English-Zulu, Zulu-English Dictionary, Witwatersrand Univ Press 1958), and looked it up. The Zulu entry means “as if to bind one’s feet.” He said that was not indigenous but was added by the compilers. But if Zulu didn’t have the concept of obligation, how could it have the concept of a promise, since a promise is simply the oral undertaking of an obligation? I was interested in this, I said, because Africans often failed to keep promises and never apologized — as if this didn’t warrant an apology.

A Light Bulb seemed to go on in his mind. Yes, he said; in fact, the Zulu word for promise — isithembiso — is Not the correct word. When a black person “promises” he means “maybe I will and maybe I won’t.”
But, I said, this makes nonsense of promising, the very purpose of which is to bind one to a course of action. When one is not sure he can do something he may say, “I will try but I can’t promise.” He said he’d heard whites say that and had never understood it till now. As a young Romanian friend so aptly summed it up, when a black person “promises” he means “I’ll try.”

The failure to keep promises is therefore not a language problem. It is hard to believe that after living with whites for so long they would not learn the correct meaning, and it is too much of a coincidence that the same phenomenon is found in Nigeria, Kenya and Papua New Guinea, where I have also lived. It is much more likely that Africans generally lack the very concept and hence cannot give the word its correct meaning. This would seem to indicate some difference in intellectual capacity.

Note the Zulu entry for obligation: “as if to bind one’s feet.” An obligation binds you, but it does so morally, not physically. It is an abstract concept, which is why there is no word for it in Zulu. So what did the authors of the dictionary do? They took this abstract concept and made it concrete. Feet, rope, and tying are all tangible and observable, and therefore things all blacks will understand, whereas many will not understand what an obligation is. The fact that they had to define it in this way is, by itself, compelling evidence for my conclusion that Zulu thought has few abstract concepts and indirect evidence for the view that Africans may be deficient in abstract thinking.
[......]
It has long seemed to me that blacks tend to lack self-awareness. If such awareness is necessary for developing abstract concepts it is not surprising that African languages have so few abstract terms. A lack of self-awareness — or introspection — has advantages. In my experience neurotic behavior, characterized by excessive and unhealthy self-consciousness, is uncommon among blacks. I am also confident that sexual dysfunction, which is characterized by excessive self-consciousness, is less common among blacks than whites.

Time is another abstract concept with which Africans seem to have difficulties. I began to wonder about this in 1998. Several Africans drove up in a car and parked right in front of mine, blocking it. “Hey,” I said, “you can’t park here.” “Oh, are you about to leave?” they asked in a perfectly polite and friendly way. “No,” I said, “but I might later. Park over there” — and they did.

While the possibility that I might want to leave later was obvious to me, their thinking seemed to encompass only the here and now: “If you’re leaving right now we understand, but otherwise, what’s the problem?” I had other such encounters and the key question always seemed to be, “Are you leaving now?” The future, after all, does not exist. It will exist, but doesn’t exist now. People who have difficulty thinking of things that do not exist will ipso facto have difficulty thinking about the future.
[......]
More accurately, these concepts simply do not exist in Xhosa, which, along with Zulu, is one of the two most widely spoken languages in South Africa. In America, blacks are said to have a “tendency to approximate space, numbers and time instead of aiming for complete accuracy.” (Star, June 8, 1988) In other words, they are also poor at math. Notice the identical triumvirate — space, numbers, and time. Is it just a coincidence that these three highly abstract concepts are the ones with which blacks — everywhere — seem to have such difficulties?

The entry in the Zulu dictionary for “number,” by the way — ningi — means “numerous,” which is not at all the same as the concept of number. It is clear, therefore, that there is no concept of number in Zulu.

White rule in South Africa ended in 1994. It was about ten years later that power outages began, which eventually reached crisis proportions. The principle reason for this is simply lack of maintenance on the generating equipment. Maintenance is future-oriented...

much more at link above
`

I don't think the goal of African language and communication evolved to satisfy the way non Africans communicate. Its one thing to say that there is no "word" to express gradations and its another thing to say that African don't communicate gradations. There exist something called "non verbal communication", as most African languages were not written. Thus, communication was person to person. Keep in mind that necessity has been the mother of invention, and accident the step mother. If Africans were not doing something....its because there was no necessity or they did not accidentally stumble upon it. If something is very small......you would simply say "small small". If something was really high up, you would simply say "High high" and maybe use a gesture. If an African said he was going to do something and it did not get done, another African would assume that they tried but something came up. The integrity of the people is assumed and implicit. Instead of saying "Maybe", saying you will do something is understood to mean "I will do it if I can": If they don't do it is not a broken promise in the culture, its just understood that it could not be done, despite the intent to do it. Thus, to another African, saying you will do something is an implicit "Maybe".

The Volkswagen Beetle had the engine in the trunk. A person who who never knew a car can run with the motor in the trunk would open up the hood and say that the car does not work because he does not see an engine where HE IS USED TO SEEING AN ENGINE. His conclusion only shows his bias and ignorance and the idea that unless things are the way he is used to it, that it either does not work or is inferior.

Finally, blacks speak of racism and white privilege from the context of being black. In other words, the white experience relative to blacks and the black experience relative to whites. Blacks do not live the life of Asians or know the family history of Asians to assume we are qualified to speak about their relationship and experiences relative to whites. Hence, a claim of white racism, by blacks, is not a claim that whites are racist against Asians. Why would it be? The claim is made by blacks from the perspective and experience and history of blacks.....not Asians. Maybe if Asians where shackled in chains side by side with our ancestors then we would be thinking of them too....when we point out white racism.

Last edited:

Languages of Africa
Three of the Six Dominant languages in Subsaharan Africa—spoken by at least ten million people or more—are spoken in Nigeria: Hausa, Yoruba, and Ibo. The three remaining major languages of Subsaharan Africa are Swahili, Lingala, and Zulu.

Your DISHONEST and Obtuse Leftist POS attempt at ambiguation instead of clarity... FAILED.
NEXT!
`
This is all you can come up with?

No reputable researcher is going to make sweeping generalizations about the people of an entire continent. The second largest continent in the world with a diverse array of cultures. The fact that you can’t see that is intriguing. Do you think that because they share the same skin color the share the same culture?

• Thanks
Reactions: IM2
American Renaissance February 2009

What follow are not scientific findings. There could be alternative explanations for what I have observed, but my conclusions are drawn from more than 30 years of living among Africans.

It is also interesting that you take the authors observations of Africa and expand it to all blacks....not Africans.....but “ debating blacks”.

• Thanks

While you faggots look for non-existent genes to explain why some men want to rape shitholes, actual genes are being identified that explain intelligence gaps between blacks and whites. For example, gene HMGA2 is proven to influence brain size and intelligence. Most whites have the good variant. Most blacks don't, including those 3000 distance ethnic groups. A million ethnic groups of monkeys wouldn't mean that some monkeys could earn a high school diploma.

Even if we weren't finding genes that influence IQ, the evidence that blacks have lower IQs is overwhelming. You just choose to let your racism make you an ignorant dumbshit. Poor whites score higher on the SAT than rich blacks. Every white country in all the world and history has been better than every black country in all the world and history (aside from brief deviations in white countries).

[....]It has long seemed to me that blacks tend to lack self-awareness.... Time is another abstract concept with which Africans seem to have difficulties. I began to wonder about this in 1998. Several Africans drove up in a car and parked right in front of mine, blocking it. “Hey,” I said, “you can’t park here.” “Oh, are you about to leave?” they asked in a perfectly polite and friendly way. “No,” I said, “but I might later. Park over there” — and they did.
[......]​
Cape Town could be the first major city in the world to run out of water
Zaheer Cassim, Special to USA TODAY - Jan 19, 2018
Cape Town could be first major city in the world to run out of water
[.....]
Residents here are awaiting “Day Zero,” when water supplies in Cape Town’s reservoirs drop below 13.5%. Mayor Patricia de Lille estimated recently that the day will likely be April 21. Low rainfall and high consumption, despite the city’s best efforts to promote conservation, are taking their toll, she said.

“We have reached the point of no return. Despite our urging for months‚ 60% of residents are callously using more than the 23 gallons per day,” De Lille said in a Jan. 18 news conference. “It is quite unbelievable that the majority of people do not seem to care and are sending all of us headlong toward Day Zero. At this point we must assume that they will not change their behavior.”...​
`

Last edited:

Posted on May 1, 2012
by Gedaliah Braun

[.....]
[......]
[......]

[......]

[......]

much more at link above
`

TL; DR, I don't like your tone. :dunno:

On another note, I think a couple black girls won the speed debates in America this year.

That's some insane stuff if you ever care to check it out.

Posted on May 1, 2012
by Gedaliah Braun

[.....]
[......]
[......]

[......]

[......]

much more at link above
`

I find enough westerners on this site who lie on a consistent basis. The number of people who have debate morality I can count on my left hand.

• Thanks
Africans do not separate themselves in above or sub saharan categories. A Moroccan will call a Nigerian a Nigerian.

Last edited:

Posted on May 1, 2012
by Gedaliah Braun

[.....]
[......]
[......]

[......]

[......]

much more at link above
`

I find enough westerners on this site who lie on a consistent basis. The number of people who have debate morality I can count on my left hand.

I don't believe you should be counting yourself, bubba. Furthermore, I know for a fact that you're not qualified to judge. I'm not claiming I am, but I know that you are not!

I am so confused by your international use of our national dialogue. You know that 5 million people by 1865 were descended and related to about 30,000 imported slaves, and now huge chunk of 15+ million African americans. Soul Brothers is fair enough. Are these sub-Saharan African americans?

Languages of Africa

NEXT!
`

No reputable researcher is going to make sweeping generalizations about the people of an entire continent. The second largest continent in the world with a diverse array of cultures. The fact that you can’t see that is intriguing. Do you think that because they share the same skin color the share the same culture?
Europe is endlessly generalized....

Languages of Africa

NEXT!
`

No it's actually not. Because you know the difference between a German and a Greek but when it comes to Africa we get this stupid sub-Saharan crap instead of being able to tell the difference between a Ghanaian and a Namibian.

Languages of Africa

NEXT!
`

No it's actually not. Because you know the difference between a German and a Greek but when it comes to Africa we get this stupid sub-Saharan crap instead of being able to tell the difference between a Ghanaian and a Namibian.
The EU was created to destroy the differences between European nations and ultimately destroy the entirety of the European people. There is absolutely no understanding by the EU government or its supporters of how Germany and a country like Sweden is any different.

Because of this all of Europe is treated as nothing but a dumping ground for any piece of shit who makes it halfway to any EU member state.

TL; DR, I don't like your tone. :dunno:
On another note, I think a couple black girls won the speed debates in America this year.
That's some insane stuff if you ever care to check it out.
So0 what Girl-Named Cowboy?

"speed debate" is more like RAP than debate.
LOFL
`

Forum List

Back