Montana: Financial despair, addiction and the rise of suicide in white America

Lakhota

Diamond Member
Jul 14, 2011
Native America
The death rate for white Americans aged 45 to 54 has risen sharply since 1999, but Montana officials wrestle to explain why the state has the highest rate of suicide in the US at nearly twice the national average – and it’s rising.

“I’ve watched white males rule this country from the beginning. The power that this traditional white male used to have is decreasing. We’ve evolved and white males aren’t necessarily at the root of power anymore. Everything from the Oregon military takeover to the abuse people have hurled at our president, I think a lot of that is at play,” she said.

African Americans on the other hand have long struggled against inequality and have generally held fewer assumptions about social advancement, which may explain why the same increases in suicides and drug and alcohol deaths have not been seen among middle aged black people.

“We have a very high shortage of mental health professionals in our state, specifically psychiatrists. About 80% of the people who take psychotropic medication in Montana have never even spoken to a psychiatrist,” he said. “Also, there’s a stigma when it comes to mental illness. We have that kinda cowboy mentality, frontier mentality of taking care of your own, and people see depression as a weakness.

“The words I often see when I review suicides is that the person thought they were a burden. That they weren’t serving a purpose anymore or they’re tired of dealing with things. When you feel that way, you’re not going to ask for help.”

More: Financial despair, addiction and the rise of suicide in white America

This is an interesting article about the changing world we live it. It sounds like whites are having the most difficulty adjusting.

Maybe this is all part of Obama's master plan to destroy white America. I'm sure Marco Rubio would agree.

Lakota, give it up. White males aren't going anywhere, we aren't dying out, and we're not losing our power. This is a delusion the left is trying to sell black people to get their vote. The real reason you hate white males is that the vast majority of us vote Republican. The only white males that are still voting Democrat are union workers, and I think that might change too.

Lakota, give it up. White males aren't going anywhere, we aren't dying out, and we're not losing our power. This is a delusion the left is trying to sell black people to get their vote. The real reason you hate white males is that the vast majority of us vote Republican. The only white males that are still voting Democrat are union workers, and I think that might change too.

Whatever you say. You obviously didn't read the article. Keep on whistling...

I didn't read this article because it's the same line of bullshit Democrats have been pushing since Obama got elected. You say that Obama's election makes white males feel they've lost power, and that's why we are angry. Because we are raaaaaaciiiiiiiist!!!

But you pulled this same bullshit on Hillary's supporters in 2008, and her followers gave into it.

There are so many reasons to hate Obama, and his race is not even on the list.

In 1996, I voted for Alan Keyes in the California primary, which is 12 years before any Democrat voted for Obama.

I didn't read this article because it's the same line of bullshit Democrats have been pushing since Obama got elected. You say that Obama's election makes white males feel they've lost power, and that's why we are angry. Because we are raaaaaaciiiiiiiist!!!

But you pulled this same bullshit on Hillary's supporters in 2008, and her followers gave into it.

In 1996, I voted for Alan Keyes in the California primary, which is 12 years before any Democrat voted for Obama.

Alan Keyes? Damn, you're even dumber than I thought. Goodnight...

Alan Keyes? Damn, you're even dumber than I thought. Goodnight...
You can call me dumb, but Alan Keyes would have made a much better candidate for President than Bob Dole. And you can't call me a racist. If you try I will brand you as a hypocrite.

Can't be true that folks are killing themselves over being impoverished and over run with a medical bills. Not in an Obama economy. Article is clearly written by hacks.

Obama has made the entire middle class desperate. Why would an Obama supporter point that out?

The death rate for white Americans aged 45 to 54 has risen sharply since 1999, but Montana officials wrestle to explain why the state has the highest rate of suicide in the US at nearly twice the national average – and it’s rising.

“I’ve watched white males rule this country from the beginning. The power that this traditional white male used to have is decreasing. We’ve evolved and white males aren’t necessarily at the root of power anymore. Everything from the Oregon military takeover to the abuse people have hurled at our president, I think a lot of that is at play,” she said.

African Americans on the other hand have long struggled against inequality and have generally held fewer assumptions about social advancement, which may explain why the same increases in suicides and drug and alcohol deaths have not been seen among middle aged black people.

“We have a very high shortage of mental health professionals in our state, specifically psychiatrists. About 80% of the people who take psychotropic medication in Montana have never even spoken to a psychiatrist,” he said. “Also, there’s a stigma when it comes to mental illness. We have that kinda cowboy mentality, frontier mentality of taking care of your own, and people see depression as a weakness.

“The words I often see when I review suicides is that the person thought they were a burden. That they weren’t serving a purpose anymore or they’re tired of dealing with things. When you feel that way, you’re not going to ask for help.”

More: Financial despair, addiction and the rise of suicide in white America

This is an interesting article about the changing world we live it. It sounds like whites are having the most difficulty adjusting.

You have other pressing issues pokahuantis.....
The alarming rise in the suicide rate: 5 shocking facts

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/02/u...ruggles-with-suicides-among-young-people.html

From broken homes to a broken system

Attachments

• upload_2016-2-8_5-12-52.png
    upload_2016-2-8_5-12-52.png
    159.3 KB · Views: 54
I'm pretty sure suicide rates among older white men goes up during any serious economic downturn. Unlike the poor the "middle class" often can't turn to welfare if they unexpectedly lose their jobs; they're previous income is considered and they are denied, or they have ego reasons not to even try. They also usually have wives and kids who are relying on them and often cannot bear to admit that they are no longer able to do their self-appointed job of supporting the family.

Why do you think life insurance companies have a policy of not paying out in cases of suicide...

Forum List

Back