Minimum Wage Increase: They Never Talks About the SALES

Ugh. My gosh. What you are not capable of understanding, apparently, IF YOU ARE MAKING MORE MONEY, THAT OFFSETS MY RAISING PRICES!?!

Here, let's try something simple; 2 + 2 =?? Now, 4 +4 =?? Ask the nearest eight year old for help if necessary...
Oh my gosh! Here's what you seem to be incapable of understanding. That one of the most difficult things in life to do is to change the public's perception of what something is supposed to cost. They have a fixed idea about prices, and it is rock solid. If there is one thing I learned in 12 years as a business owner, it is THAT.

I don't give a rat's ass if every one of your customers is a freaking millionaire. If your price is correctly set at the market price, and you raise it, your sales are going to drop. THAT'S WHY your price was what it was to begin with > The HIGHEST price you could charge without triggering sales reduction.

If your price is correctly set at the market price,

And there's the issue.

It appears that the market price for products is static once it's set and it does not depend on labor cost.

Last edited:
Ugh. My gosh. What you are not capable of understanding, apparently, IF YOU ARE MAKING MORE MONEY, THAT OFFSETS MY RAISING PRICES!?!

Here, let's try something simple; 2 + 2 =?? Now, 4 +4 =?? Ask the nearest eight year old for help if necessary...
Oh my gosh! Here's what you seem to be incapable of understanding. That one of the most difficult things in life to do is to change the public's perception of what something is supposed to cost. They have a fixed idea about prices, and it is rock solid. If there is one thing I learned in 12 years as a business owner, it is THAT.

I don't give a rat's ass if every one of your customers is a freaking millionaire. If your price is correctly set at the market price, and you raise it, your sales are going to drop. THAT'S WHY your price was what it was to begin with > The HIGHEST price you could charge without triggering sales reduction.

And there's the issue.
He's right though....IF your price is correctly set at the market price.

Of course there is adjustments in price over time...fuel and shipping prices go up, or the cost of goods go up, for the same items, then the "market" will readjust, and prices will be established at a new market value, eventually....(and at first there will be resistance from the customers to the higher price and sales on the item will drop)....and you will have customers hunting around for the shop that still has the lower price on it....all kinds of things like that take place....but eventually there will be a new market price.

BUT if you just decided to raise your price because you wanted more profit and the market has not done such then you will LOSE SALES on the item because you are not at the going market price on the item or within a few cents or dollar from it. And I think this is what he is saying?

Department Stores have taken steps over the years to combat a portion of this business, by getting EXCLUSIVE brand name items to sell that the vendor has made just for them and sold to none of their competition....they are also venturing in to PRIVATE LABEL items and establishing their own brand names, (''St John's Bay' at JCPenny, Member's Mark at Sam's club) so that they do not have to compete in the market with Brand Name items that are sold to all the competition.

Raising wages is just part of the business, ALL THINGS GO UP, including wages...the cost of goods over time, go up, your shipping costs due to fuel hikes, go up etc etc etc and eventually all goods do reestablish a new market price to do such....

Do you think there is any Store selling goods today that has the same price on their items that they did 10 or 20 years ago? NO WAY.....all those prices eventually went up due to all of those other hikes in the cost of doing business...the same should happen with starting salaries....they should go up with time....and if it is necessary, prices will eventually be reestablished at a higher price.

And there's the issue.

Of course there is adjustments in price over time...fuel and shipping prices go up, or the cost of goods go up, for the same items, then the "market" will readjust, and prices will be established at a new market value, eventually....(and at first there will be resistance from the customers to the higher price and sales on the item will drop)....and you will have customers hunting around for the shop that still has the lower price on it....all kinds of things like that take place....but eventually there will be a new market price.

BUT f you just decided to raise your price because you wanted more profit and the market has not done such then you will LOSE SALES on the item because you are not at the going market price on the item or withing a few cents or dollar from it. And I think this is what he is saying?

Department Stores have taken steps over the years to combat a portion this business, by getting EXCLUSIVE brand name items to sell that the vendor has made just for them and sold to none of their competition....they are also venturing in to PRIVATE LABEL items and establishing their own brand names, (''St John's Bay' at JCPenny, Member's Mark at Sam's club) so that they do not have to compete in the market with Brand Name items that are sold to all the competition.

Raising wages is just part of the business, ALL THINGS GO UP, including wages...the cost of goods over time, go up, your shipping costs due to fuel hikes, go up etc etc etc and eventually all goods do reestablish a new market price to do such....

Do you think there is any Store selling goods today that has the same price on their items that they did 10 or 20 years ago? NO WAY.....all those prices eventually went up due to all of those other hikes in the cost of doing business...the same should happen with starting salaries....they should go up with time....and if it is necessary, prices will eventually be reestablished at a higher price.

Of course there is adjustments in price over time...fuel and shipping prices go up, or the cost of goods go up,

Or the cost of labor goes up. It seems like you understand his error.
Maybe you can help him understand?

And there's the issue.

BUT f you just decided to raise your price because you wanted more profit and the market has not done such then you will LOSE SALES on the item because you are not at the going market price on the item or withing a few cents or dollar from it. And I think this is what he is saying?

Department Stores have taken steps over the years to combat a portion this business, by getting EXCLUSIVE brand name items to sell that the vendor has made just for them and sold to none of their competition....they are also venturing in to PRIVATE LABEL items and establishing their own brand names, (''St John's Bay' at JCPenny, Member's Mark at Sam's club) so that they do not have to compete in the market with Brand Name items that are sold to all the competition.

Of course there is adjustments in price over time...fuel and shipping prices go up, or the cost of goods go up,

Items will eventually go up in price and reestablish a new market price, but my argument is that prices of items do this anyway, with other hikes in the cost of doing business, so why should all of this be put on the backs of the very workers making you your money? Your workers are taking pay cuts when their salaries do not go up with the cost of living, if they can not buy the very goods they sell, like they used to be able to buy... and it does hurt businesses all around by wiping out a consumer market that you once had....

AKA SALES$$$$$

Not really. I began spending marginally more (10-15%) despite a considerable (85%+) raise. I stopped buying the store brand groceries and bought the national brands insead. I added comprehensive and glass coverage to the car. I moved in with two roommates, so the rent and utilities actually went DOWN from what I was paying previously.

And there's the issue.

Items will eventually go up in price and reestablish a new market price, but my argument is that prices of items do this anyway, with other hikes in the cost of doing business, so why should all of this be put on the backs of the very workers making you your money? Your workers are taking pay cuts when their salaries do not go up with the cost of living, if they can not buy the very goods they sell, like they used to be able to buy... and it does hurt businesses all around by wiping out a consumer market that you once had....

Items will eventually go up in price and reestablish a new market price,

Professor Protectionist says that is impossible.

so why should all of this be put on the backs of the very workers making you your money?

Who did that? Not me.

Your workers are taking pay cuts when their salaries do not go up with the cost of living

Yes. And in some industries that is the proper thing to do.

Also, if you established a budget for your business, and let's just say, 30% of your estimated gross sales was budgeted for your salaries/payroll.....

And prices on everything have gone up and been reestablished with market values due to hikes in the cost of goods, or freight etc, this means your SALES dollars are going up...budgeting your employees at 30% of your business's sales, should automatically give raises to the employees...if your prices go up thus sale dollars go up for your business year over year, then your budget for staffing and salaries should go up as well....if you maintain your payroll budget at 30% of your gross sales.

And there's the issue.

so why should all of this be put on the backs of the very workers making you your money?

Who did that? Not me.

Your workers are taking pay cuts when their salaries do not go up with the cost of living

I'm sorry, THAT is NEVER the proper thing to do.

And there's the issue.

Who did that? Not me.

In a shrinking market, forcing wages higher will only speed the decline of employment.

Who did that? Not me.

In a shrinking market, forcing wages higher will only speed the decline of employment.
yes, I can agree with that Todd, I was talking about an increasing market, which we have had for decades, with the exception of just a few months at a time with small recessions, outside of right around the 2008 market crash/housing bust.

I'm heading to the Beach to Sea Glass Hunt.... :)

talk to you later if you are going to respond!

Who did that? Not me.

yes, I can agree with that Todd, I was talking about an increasing market, which we have had for decades, with the exception of just a few months at a time with small recessions, outside of right around the 2008 market crash/housing bust.

I'm heading to the Beach to Sea Glass Hunt.... :)

talk to you later if you are going to respond!

yes, I can agree with that Todd, I was talking about an increasing market

Some markets increase while others decrease.
Should workers at Blackberry keep pace with inflation?
What about at Sears? Radio Shack?

Good luck in your hunt.

If the hike doesn't do what you claim, exempt everybody.
The hike always does what I state it does. Exemptions are not for everybody. Only those who could legitimately show a hardship condition (usually due to a very large # of MW workers combined with a tendency for the particular business to have a low increased sales from the hike)

BUT if you just decided to raise your price because you wanted more profit and the market has not done such then you will LOSE SALES on the item because you are not at the going market price on the item or within a few cents or dollar from it. And I think this is what he is saying?

Department Stores have taken steps over the years to combat a portion of this business, by getting EXCLUSIVE brand name items to sell that the vendor has made just for them and sold to none of their competition....they are also venturing in to PRIVATE LABEL items and establishing their own brand names, (''St John's Bay' at JCPenny, Member's Mark at Sam's club) so that they do not have to compete in the market with Brand Name items that are sold to all the competition.

You are absolutely correct. Sure prices go up (and down), but these are from variations (like you said) over time, as various conditions change. But all that all comes from the market. That is not the same as a business owner taking action himself, where HE causes his prices to go up, by suddenly raising them in response to some new added cost. To do that, only results in sales reduction and losses$$$. just as sudden as his price hike.

You have kept your post correct by continuing to keep, all through i,t the point of reference be the market price. This is where the other posters go wrong. They act like the market price doesn't even exist, and that THEY control their prices, when, of course, it is the market that does.

If the hike doesn't do what you claim, exempt everybody.
The hike always does what I state it does. Exemptions are not for everybody. Only those who could legitimately show a hardship condition (usually due to a very large # of MW workers combined with a tendency for the particular business to have a low increased sales from the hike)

The hike always does what I state it does.

You said an extra dollar in sales would offset an extra dollar in salary expense.
Hilariously inaccurate!

He has helped YOU understand. Now it's your job to do the understanding, and be honest about it.

Forum List

Back