Min. wage in Australia is $15, $13 in NZ- ours is lowest in the modern world by $2..

Why don't you leave America then and find a place where you can live among your own kind?

I'm a better American than any Pub dupe- for one thing, I have a GD clue. Luckily, only about 30% here are such ignorant haters that their best argument is "Love it or leave it"...shyttehead.
It's not a utopia, a-hole, and Obama is not a messiah- just a happier, fairer place, and an intelligent, fair man.
No, you're just an economically illiterate stupid fuck commie hack, who can't recognize the fact that Subway can no longer sell $5 footlong sammiches in San Franfreako, because of their idiotically high minimum wage requirement.

And every economically illiterate stupid fuck commie hack knows how much higher prices for little trifles like food is soooooo helpful to those on the lower rungs of the economic ladder. :rolleyes:

When everyone has a living wage, everyone does better, demand goes up, labor costs are a much smaller percentage of costs than greedy, myopic Pubswine blare about, dupe.

What's their Cost of Living over there when they go to the market?

Australian prices, relative to New York City:

Milk (regular), 1 liter +12.94 %
Loaf of Fresh White Bread (500g) +5.82 %
Eggs (12) +97.47 %
Fresh Cheese (1kg) +68.67 %
Chicken Breasts (Boneless, Skinless), (1kg) +51.11 %
Apples (1kg) -12.47 %
Oranges (1kg) -32.48 %
Potato (1kg) -29.78 %
Lettuce (1 head) -25.96 %
Water (1.5 liter bottle) -59.15 %
Bottle of Wine (Mid-Range) -34.58 %
Domestic Beer (0.5 liter bottle) -56.52 %
Imported Beer (0.33 liter bottle) -60.99 %
Pack of Cigarettes (Marlboro) -4.83 %
and since NYC is about 30-70% higher than the rest of the US, I'd say it's not that great a deal.

A few more questions then.

What is the percentage of people making minimum wage in the US versus Australia?
How long are they on Minimum wage in each country respectively?
What is the average pay for a single income in each country (exchange and inflation adjusted)?

These are just little tidbits that are going to strengthen the case of a higher minimum wage OR destroy it's credibility.

that's all.

The minimum wage quoted for Australia isn't even true. The quoted wage is actually for someone with four years of experience!

Minimum wage starts at $5.71 which is lower than ours. Liberals lie, it's what they do. Here's the minimum wage schedule for Australia.

For junior employees, the minimum rates are:
Under 16 years of age $5.71
At 16 years of age $7.34
At 17 years of age $8.96
At 18 years of age $10.59
At 19 years of age $12.80
At 20 years of age $15.15.

For apprentices, the rates are:
Year 1 of apprenticeship $9.93
Year 2 of apprenticeship $11.74
Year 3 of apprenticeship $14.45
Year 4 of apprenticeship $17.16.
National minimum wage - Pay - Fair Work Ombudsman

Actually, I was hoping to learn a few things.

I don't claim to be very knowledgable in some areas.

Does Austrailia use U.S. currency or do they have their own ?

If they do, what is the exchange rate.

IOW: What is $15/hour ausie translate into U.S. $ ?

Up until about two years ago AUD$1 would get you about US$0.80... these days it's about one for one, or slightly in favour or Australia..

Sydney (where i live) is one of the most expensive cities in the world...believe me. If my wife and I earned here what we did back home (NZ) - even if you were to have the same salary in NZ $$ not Australian $$ - we would live like kings and queens. Here, we just get by....

I spent almost 6 months in Australia 20 years ago. Three months in Sydney, and the only thing cheap was the taxi fares. I did rent a car, but I was not a very good driver on the US side of road, and I was terrible on the Australian side. Since I was on business and had a very liberal expense account, the prices didn't affect me.

I did travel to Adelaide, (brought 6 bottles of very good wine home with me) Perth, Melbourne, and Canberra.

Prior to going to Australia I spent 2 months in New Zealand. I traveled out of Auckland and visited Christchurch, spent several days in Wellington and flew from the north end of north island to the south end of the south island, including a Mount Cook flyover and several dormant volcanoes.

I don't remember the name of the ski resort on the south Island where we took three passengers on a test flight, and I was amazed to see helicopters used to shuttle skiers to the top slopes. As soon as one helicopter took off, another landed, loaded skiers and skies and took off. They didn't have a ski lift as most ski resorts in the US have, and using helicopters had to be pretty expensive.

If I had to rate the folks I had the pleasure of flying with and doing business with, the Ausies get a 9 and the Kiwi's a 10. This was one of my most enjoyable overseas trips during my 20 years selling and servicing long range navigation equipment to the airlines and general aviation.

Last edited:
What adult would stoop so low as to work for minimum wage anyway? The argument is basically mute. You pretend to pay me, I pretend to work. If I make minimum wage I show up, done. Good enough. You want some real work, then step up cheapskate and pay me.

What adult would stoop so low as to work for minimum wage anyway? The argument is basically mute. You pretend to pay me, I pretend to work. If I make minimum wage I show up, done. Good enough. You want some real work, then step up cheapskate and pay me.

What adult would stoop so low as to work for minimum wage anyway?

An unskilled one who prefers work to welfare.

The argument is basically mute.

Or even moot.

If I make minimum wage I show up, done. Good enough.

It's the first step on the ladder. Learn responsibility. Learn to show up on time. Learn a few skills.

You want some real work, then step up cheapskate and pay me.

You want some real pay, then bring some useful skills, clown.

Last edited:
I'm a better American than any Pub dupe- for one thing, I have a GD clue. Luckily, only about 30% here are such ignorant haters that their best argument is "Love it or leave it"...shyttehead.
It's not a utopia, a-hole, and Obama is not a messiah- just a happier, fairer place, and an intelligent, fair man.
No, you're just an economically illiterate stupid fuck commie hack, who can't recognize the fact that Subway can no longer sell $5 footlong sammiches in San Franfreako, because of their idiotically high minimum wage requirement.

And every economically illiterate stupid fuck commie hack knows how much higher prices for little trifles like food is soooooo helpful to those on the lower rungs of the economic ladder. :rolleyes:

When everyone has a living wage, everyone does better, demand goes up, labor costs are a much smaller percentage of costs than greedy, myopic Pubswine blare about, dupe.
The working class earning that "living wage" thingy in San Fransicko can't buy a goddamn $5 footlong sammich from Subway!

You can't be this stupid by accident....It takes a concerted effort. :lol:

The minimum wage quoted for Australia isn't even true. The quoted wage is actually for someone with four years of experience!

Minimum wage starts at $5.71 which is lower than ours. Liberals lie, it's what they do. Here's the minimum wage schedule for Australia.

At 16 years of age $7.34
At 17 years of age $8.96

So the OP is a sham ?

Nope.

The national minimum wage acts as a safety net for employees in the national workplace relations system to provide minimum rates of pay for employees not covered by awards or agreements. National minimum wage orders are made by the Minimum Wage Panel of Fair Work Australia.

Australia's minimum wage is $15.51 per hour or $589.30 per week. Generally, employees in the national system shouldn't get less than this.

An employee's basic rate of pay depends on such things as their age, job classification and what industrial instrument they're covered by (e.g. a modern award, pre-modern award, transitional Pay Scale, workplace agreement and so on).

The minimum wages received by employees in the national workplace relations system are reviewed by Fair Work Australia annually, with any adjustments taking effect from the first pay period on or after 1 July each year.

Nope.

The national minimum wage acts as a safety net for employees in the national workplace relations system to provide minimum rates of pay for employees not covered by awards or agreements. National minimum wage orders are made by the Minimum Wage Panel of Fair Work Australia.

Australia's minimum wage is $15.51 per hour or $589.30 per week. Generally, employees in the national system shouldn't get less than this.

An employee's basic rate of pay depends on such things as their age, job classification and what industrial instrument they're covered by (e.g. a modern award, pre-modern award, transitional Pay Scale, workplace agreement and so on).

The minimum wages received by employees in the national workplace relations system are reviewed by Fair Work Australia annually, with any adjustments taking effect from the first pay period on or after 1 July each year.

You posted a link !

I'm shedding a tear.

How did it feel ?

But the dupes think we don't need one. Corporations will take care of us...they sure did!! Vote mega rich, myopic, corrupt cronyism Pub....idiocy

What year is it in China? For that matter, what year is it in the UK, which has a minimum wage of about $5.90?

Did you know that the US is the only country in the modern world that thinks teenagers should get paid the same minimum wage as adults?

Bullshytte...

The current minimum wage in the UK, set in October 2011 by the new Conservative-Liberal Democrat coalition government, for adults aged 21 or older is £6.08 per hour for workers aged 21 and above, £4.98 for workers aged 18-20, £3.68 for workers aged 16-17, and £2.60 for apprentices regardless of age.[46]

Minimum wage law - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Ok, and using that very link, what does it say the minimum wages are for Germany, Cyprus, Denmark, Finland, Italy, etc?

It seems odd you quote a cite that says the very thing you called me an idiot for saying.

I think this line is even MORE telling.

Median Monthly Disposable Salary (After Tax) 4,020.41 $ 2,833.94 $ -29.51 %

Even with making almost 80% more a month, Australians had just UNDER 30% less income after basic necessities are paid for.

Hmmmmm... now just think if you are poor over there... that's costs of living that take away 30% more than being an American and being poor. Yeah, the higher minimum wage is doing so much more. I'm sure underemployment is even more rampant there than it is here, but my Google-Fu turned up no real data that could be used at this time.

But the dupes think we don't need one. Corporations will take care of us...they sure did!! Vote mega rich, myopic, corrupt cronyism Pub....idiocy

Are you to stupid to move? Does it take someone to tell you if you want to make 15.00 an hour min. wage move to that country? JUST MOVE IT'S THAT SIMPLE.

The minimum wage law is a perfect example of a liberal idea with good intentions, but the consequences are horrendous for the economy and the people of America

The minimum wage law is a perfect example of a liberal idea with good intentions, but the consequences are horrendous for the economy and the people of America
Haven't you heard? Good intentions trump actual results every time!

At 16 years of age $7.34
At 17 years of age $8.96

Did you even read what you posted? The $5 minimum wage only applies to minors.

Forum List

Back