Millions of wild pigs run amok in US

This article refers to the four-legged ones, of course. Seen one in your back yard lately? And, this article makes me wonder – if more people set out to kill these noxious critters, will the animal-rights groups like PETA go to court to stop them.

Read the article and see the somewhat boring video @ BBC News - Millions of wild pigs run amok in US

Well, just a bit further along, I came across this: Is the Way These People Are ‘Hunting’ Feral Hogs in This Video Inhumane? The article @ video @ Is the Way These People Are 8216 Hunting 8217 Feral Hogs in This Video Inhumane Video TheBlaze.com

I don't believe blowing them up like this is inhumane – but it is a serious waste of meat and does far more damage than the critters do.

I dont have a problem with it at all.
Personally...i'd rather be blown up than poisoned.

Our local tree hug folk are screaming about people using guns to kill the hogs... they want all the killing to be done with bows. Apparently they think bows are cleaner way to kill.
Bows are so messy, so cruel, I won't even shoot a deer with one.

Nothing deserves to slowly bleed to death; I believe in the one shot instant kill, or don't take the shot.

This article refers to the four-legged ones, of course. Seen one in your back yard lately? And, this article makes me wonder – if more people set out to kill these noxious critters, will the animal-rights groups like PETA go to court to stop them.

Read the article and see the somewhat boring video @ BBC News - Millions of wild pigs run amok in US

Well, just a bit further along, I came across this: Is the Way These People Are ‘Hunting’ Feral Hogs in This Video Inhumane? The article @ video @ Is the Way These People Are 8216 Hunting 8217 Feral Hogs in This Video Inhumane Video TheBlaze.com

I don't believe blowing them up like this is inhumane – but it is a serious waste of meat and does far more damage than the critters do.
They carry Bang's disease.

I shoot them on sight, but, will not touch or eat them.

They are ruining the Kisatchie and other National Forests.

Wasteful....if you don't eat them, hunters for the hungry will make sure that the meat gets to someone who will. I have been eating them for years....even domestic pork is dangerous to eat if you don't cook it properly...

Hey, scavengers gotta eat too.

I'm not touching them, or hauling them miles out of the woods, but, you are free to come get every one I shoot.

In the meantime, bobcats and coyotes agree with the shoot them and leave them approach.

Nah...I eat what I kill.....you say a lot about yourself when you admit that you don't.
How many acres of land, and how many crops, have you personally had ruined?

Yep....I love me some bacon but I wont touch a feral hog unless it's a young piglet in it's first winter.
There's a reason most deer processors wont take them.

Wasteful....if you don't eat them, hunters for the hungry will make sure that the meat gets to someone who will. I have been eating them for years....even domestic pork is dangerous to eat if you don't cook it properly...

I'm not touching them, or hauling them miles out of the woods, but, you are free to come get every one I shoot.

In the meantime, bobcats and coyotes agree with the shoot them and leave them approach.

Nah...I eat what I kill.....you say a lot about yourself when you admit that you don't.

Like I said, I haven't seen any sign of pigs on my property...I hunt on the property of acquaintances....If I found them on my property, then I would take what I could eat and give the rest to people not as fortunate as myself...and still kill pigs on the property of anyone who would like for me to kill them there...and the same would be done with the meat....I fill my deer ticket every year also but only keep about one and a half or so for my own table...the rest goes to hunters for the hungry....some years, I deliver as much as 1000 pounds of meat to that organization.

Yep....I love me some bacon but I wont touch a feral hog unless it's a young piglet in it's first winter.

Don't know why...they are eating better, and healthier than domestic swine here in NC....and no hormones or antibiotics.

Like I said, I haven't seen any sign of pigs on my property...I hunt on the property of acquaintances....If I found them on my property, then I would take what I could eat and give the rest to people not as fortunate as myself...and still kill pigs on the property of anyone who would like for me to kill them there...and the same would be done with the meat....I fill my deer ticket every year also but only keep about one and a half or so for my own table...the rest goes to hunters for the hungry....some years, I deliver as much as 1000 pounds of meat to that organization.
Truth be told, so many are killed here I could not find anyone to take one if I wanted to.

As far as I know, there is no 'hunters for the hungry' program around here anyway.

And I do not think the state lets hunters donate to shelters and such.

So you live your way, and I'll live mine.

Until the law tells me I can't, I am killing every one I see.

They have wiped out the wild turkeys, which nest on the ground, and eat the deer out of existence, as they take possession of every oak copse and run the deer off.

Don't know why...they are eating better, and healthier than domestic swine here in NC....and no hormones or antibiotics.

I really don't eat much pork.

Some bacon, and that is about it.

As for feral hogs, any animal that will feed on the rotting corpse of its own mother is not fit to eat in my opinion.

They also receive zero vet care and they wallow in their own shit and piss out in the wild.
Do some research,you're playing Russian roulette.
If you're going to eat em,eat the yearlings to lesson the chance of infections.
And I'll say it again...why do you think most deer processors refuse to process them?

They also receive zero vet care and they wallow in their own shit and piss out in the wild.

Actually, that isn't true....sure they wallow, it is what they do to rid themselves of parasites....but it is the domestics that wallow in their own filth because they have no where else to do it....actually go out and find a wallow that feral pigs have been using...you won't find it full of shit...in fact, I would be damned surprised if you found any shit in it at all.

Not as much as people who eat only farm raised...especially commercial farm raised... You only need to use a bit of common sense when dressing them...is a bit of common sense too much to ask from someone out with a firearm in the first place?

And I'll say it again...why do you think most deer processors refuse to process them?

Because the processors don't have any idea how careful you were with the carcass out in the field.

Another thing you have to remember is those wallows you see em in all the time are usually near a water source.
When it rains all that pig shit and piss go into the drinking water of the pigs and all the other animals that drink from that source.
On top of that those crops they are raiding are covered in pesticides until they are washed.

Another thing you have to remember is those wallows you see em in all the time are usually near a water source.
When it rains all that pig shit and piss go into the drinking water of the pigs and all the other animals that drink from that source.
On top of that those crops they are raiding are covered in pesticides until they are washed.

None the less....feral pig is just as safe to eat as domestic pig...which, by the way, has a slew of federal regulations regarding slaughter and handling afterwards because of the risk of infection...Feral pork has less colesterol than farm raised chicken if you worry about such things...

Pig shit is toxic.

Pig shit runoff comes down the Mississippi(America's sewer) and is killing the coral in the Florida Strait.

Actually, that isn't true....sure they wallow, it is what they do to rid themselves of parasites....but it is the domestics that wallow in their own filth because they have no where else to do it....actually go out and find a wallow that feral pigs have been using...you won't find it full of shit...in fact, I would be damned surprised if you found any shit in it at all.

Not as much as people who eat only farm raised...especially commercial farm raised... You only need to use a bit of common sense when dressing them...is a bit of common sense too much to ask from someone out with a firearm in the first place?

Because the processors don't have any idea how careful you were with the carcass out in the field.

Google
"Modern pig farms"
In noway shape or form are those wild hogs cleaner than the ones you purchase in the grocery store.
And thats a fact.

SC Man Catches Disease From Hog Killed on Hunt Field Stream

Feral hog hunters risk contracting Brucellosis aka Undulant Fever Natural Unseen Hazards Blog

Feral Hog Diseases and Health Risks - eXtension

I hate pigs. Glad you're killing them, they have no place in our wild ecosystem.
Neither do feral horses, but, watch the treehuggers and PETA people go apeshit if anyone suggests the herds be culled.

Horses have gotten so expensive to maintain that we now have feral horses in the Kisatchie, due to people who just turned them loose.

Peta not only objects to culling, they get pissed off when people gather them for sale as well.

Forum List

Back