Military retirees face cuts

My son-in-law who serves in the Air Force can call in sick, gets vacation days, housing help and good pay.

HEY!! I'm not complaining. Heck, my daughter gets to go to college with a TON of help from the federal government because her husband is serving in the military. (She's never served a day.)

Thanks much to all of you who are helping pay for my daughter to attend college!! :clap2:

Your son in law is lucky to work in a job where the supervisors allow that, most people don't really have that anymore. Most of the time in the Military if you are sick you have to report to sick call and thats an all day affair, might as well just go to work.

I about blew coffee through my nose when I read that "calling in sick" BS.
That would have NEVER BEEN THOUGHT OF when I was in. You either (a) report for duty, (b) go to sick call.
None of this "calling in sick" bullshit.

I have seen remote assignments where there is a little Air Force or Navy detachment far away from any Military installation, usually at a college or ROTC station, those guys have ALOT of free time and privileges regular active duty members do not get. A friend of mine who worked in a MEPS in downtown LA got to call in if he was going to be late because of LA traffic, or if he was hung over from a party the night before. That kind of thing does not fly on regular Military bases or where is a bigger Military presence.

There is a lot of stupidity, misinformation, intelligence and good information in this thread.

Too bad so many can't tell the difference.

When I first enlisted we were told that if we served for 20 years that we would receive free health and dental care for life. That was taken away from us in 1995. After I retired. That was the first thing to really be taken away. Suddenly we were paying for healthcare and we had no dental coverage at all. Unless you lived near a Military dental facility then you could get an appointment if they could squeeze you in. No promises......

What else no one mentioned is that the co-pays for military prescriptions will go up on 1 October. So it has already started. Also I remind you that there has been no inflation for the past 2 years, so no cost of living raises..... How many of you believe that there was no inflation in 2 years?

Anyway, the military is unique, those who never served have no clue, those who claim it was easy were skaters and the ones who I had little use for. I thank them for their service but please do not reenlist.

And anyone who thinks that the military hasn't earned every dime are idiots.

I've only negged 2 people in this thread so far, anyone else want to get stupid?

The honesty is in the details. I, by the way, am one of the fortunate ones who SFC Ollie has chosen to neg rep, so I will continue to be stupid....

No cost of living increases for the past two years? Do you want a towel to cry in? In case you hadn't noticed, the unemployment rate is still currently standing at about 9%, the GOP is doing everything in it's power to limit worker's rights when it comes to collective bargaining, and oh by the way, MOST companies have either CUT pay and/or benefits or frozen them in place, for the same two year period you are crying about.

Now, just so everyone understands, please elaborate on what your co-pays are so we can ALL compare them to what our private sector co-pays are. Since my parents have "Tri-Care for Life", I already know, but I would encourage you to share for the group.

Secondly, who the hell doesn't live near a military facility with a dental office? You want to bitch about them "squeezing you in"? Are you stupid? Perhaps you haven't seen how "well" the private sector dental and doctor facilities work? There a MILLIONS of Americans with NO dental coverage, and you want to BITCH about having to get squeezed in to get your free dental visits? REALLY????

The amount of co-pay doesn't matter, if you care to type it out go for it, or look it up and cut and paste it. Fact is it is going up 1 Oct.

Who doesn't live near a military dental facility? Thousands of retirees probably. I'm one of them. The closest commissary is an hour and 15 minutes away. And it's on a reserve base without a dental clinic. Just spent over $1700 on dental care for the Mrs. all out of my pocket. So yes I can bitch about the broken promises. And obviously know how well the civilian system works. Cash talks. We basically have zero dental coverage.

Anyway please enjoy the rights and privileges that your Military has kept for you over the past 200 years.

There is a lot of stupidity, misinformation, intelligence and good information in this thread.

When I first enlisted we were told that if we served for 20 years that we would receive free health and dental care for life. That was taken away from us in 1995. After I retired. That was the first thing to really be taken away. Suddenly we were paying for healthcare and we had no dental coverage at all. Unless you lived near a Military dental facility then you could get an appointment if they could squeeze you in. No promises......

What else no one mentioned is that the co-pays for military prescriptions will go up on 1 October. So it has already started. Also I remind you that there has been no inflation for the past 2 years, so no cost of living raises..... How many of you believe that there was no inflation in 2 years?

Anyway, the military is unique, those who never served have no clue, those who claim it was easy were skaters and the ones who I had little use for. I thank them for their service but please do not reenlist.

I've only negged 2 people in this thread so far, anyone else want to get stupid?

I especially love these idiots who never served ONE DAY in the military who think they understand

(1) The military
(2) Our benefits

They ought to stick to what they know best -
(1) Avoiding military service
(2) Collecting foodstamps

I agree Warrior, these arm chair generals are killing us.

One problem with implementing the proposed retirement system is that the career enlisted force (which makes the US military superior and unique among the rest of the world's militaries) will be decimated. The incentive to stay for 20, gain technical and leadership expertise, and be the backbone of their service, will disapear. If the US wants military superiority, career military personnel must be taken care of. Those on the left of course would love to hollow out the military and give the saved money to their favorite social program, so screwing the American fighting man, and woman, is not a problem.

So old navy...if the choice were cutting military benifits or cutting tax cuts to the rich, which would you choose?

Remember this when you are being a hack and screaming at Obama when he is fucking trying to help us vets.

so zona... I'm not sure what your questions have to do with what I wrote, but I'll play along.

I don't give a damn about the rich so take all their money. I'm a retired enlisted man with two other sources of income. Not wealthy but I do OK. Regardless of who is POTUS, this country had better figure out how to pay for the world's best military. The world does not want a US military that is second best.

Never heard of anyone calling in sick while on active duty. You reported to first formation of the day and requested sick call. The Doctor then would decide if you returned to duty or went on "quarters". And if you were given quarters you had better be at home or in your barracks room.

I especially love these idiots who never served ONE DAY in the military who think they understand

(1) The military
(2) Our benefits

Well it's too bad you missed out when they were teaching honor and admitting when you're wrong.

My wish list...

#1 EDUCATE OUR CHILDREN with the BEST

teachers and PAY them what they are worth!

We are falling behind in this area and it

is crucial that we don't continue doing

so.

#2 eliminate the IRS and enact the fair

tax in it's place. EVERYONE PAYS.

No loopholes for the rich and corporate

America to slip through. WE THE PEOPLE

MEANS "EVERYONE PAYS" NOT JUST THE MIDDLE

CLASS!

#3 Business 101"spend less than you

receive in revenue!" Shrink the size of

our government until it receives more in

revenue than it spends! Streamline

government agencies so they're more

efficient. CHOP CHOP GET IT DONE FDA!

#4 Build our Army up until every country

RESPECTS US AGAIN and STOP POLICING THE

WORLD! Capitalism will will naturally

prevail if it's God's will.

#5 Put a embargo on China and any other

communist countries. They're simply not

our friends and never will be. Get over

it! Lead painted toy for our children! It

makes me want to kill a commie for mommy!

#6 Last but not least! FOLLOW THE LAWS OF

OUR LAND! Kick people out of our country

if they came here illegally and that

includes the babies they gave birth to

here! If the came here Illegally treat

them like criminals because THEY ARE

CRIMINALS!

We have a lot more problems to work on like making sure everybody has health care

and get rid of all the lobbyists'/special interest groups. Come on America, we the

people know we can do better!

(1) The military
(2) Our benefits

Well it's too bad you missed out when they were teaching honor and admitting when you're wrong.
Tokyo Rose? Tokyo Rose? Tokyo Rose, your call cannot go through.

The honesty is in the details. I, by the way, am one of the fortunate ones who SFC Ollie has chosen to neg rep, so I will continue to be stupid....

No cost of living increases for the past two years? Do you want a towel to cry in? In case you hadn't noticed, the unemployment rate is still currently standing at about 9%, the GOP is doing everything in it's power to limit worker's rights when it comes to collective bargaining, and oh by the way, MOST companies have either CUT pay and/or benefits or frozen them in place, for the same two year period you are crying about.

Now, just so everyone understands, please elaborate on what your co-pays are so we can ALL compare them to what our private sector co-pays are. Since my parents have "Tri-Care for Life", I already know, but I would encourage you to share for the group.

Secondly, who the hell doesn't live near a military facility with a dental office? You want to bitch about them "squeezing you in"? Are you stupid? Perhaps you haven't seen how "well" the private sector dental and doctor facilities work? There a MILLIONS of Americans with NO dental coverage, and you want to BITCH about having to get squeezed in to get your free dental visits? REALLY????

The amount of co-pay doesn't matter, if you care to type it out go for it, or look it up and cut and paste it. Fact is it is going up 1 Oct.

Who doesn't live near a military dental facility? Thousands of retirees probably. I'm one of them. The closest commissary is an hour and 15 minutes away. And it's on a reserve base without a dental clinic. Just spent over $1700 on dental care for the Mrs. all out of my pocket. So yes I can bitch about the broken promises. And obviously know how well the civilian system works. Cash talks. We basically have zero dental coverage.

Anyway please enjoy the rights and privileges that your Military has kept for you over the past 200 years.

.....that I have paid for. Your paycheck, pension and benefits come from people like me. You can thank me later. I'll wait.

.....that I have paid for. Your paycheck, pension and benefits come from people like me. You can thank me later. I'll wait.
Sorry, your donation didn't even pay your defaulted college loan not to mention all that vandalism you eluded paying for, not to mention your trash talk that never saw the soap bubbles you deserved to eat to teach you respect that you do not have.

Sorry, your donation didn't even pay your defaulted college loan not to mention all that vandalism you eluded paying for, not to mention your trash talk that never saw the soap bubbles you deserved to eat to teach you respect that you do not have.

Blah, blah, blah....my taxes paid into the coffers that provide him with everything he has. Period.

Not only is the taxpayer on the hook for my pension, health care, shopping, free base gym, and lots of other stuff, I teach in a public school system. I make a very good salary. It is 12:10 here which is lunch time. The citizens did and are still getting their money's worth though.

Blah, blah, blah....my taxes paid into the coffers that provide him with everything he has. Period.
Sorry, your tax dollars went to paying the interest on what Obama borrowed in the last 3 years. You been had. :tongue:

Never heard of anyone calling in sick while on active duty. You reported to first formation of the day and requested sick call. The Doctor then would decide if you returned to duty or went on "quarters". And if you were given quarters you had better be at home or in your barracks room.

I remember dragging my ass to the ship - in the rain - at 0500 and reporting to sick bay before quarters at 0730. Back in those days, if you needed bed rest, you went to your rack, not back to the apartment.

I guess that's today's military - calling in sick. Wouldn't surprise me.

Not only is the taxpayer on the hook for my pension, health care, shopping, free base gym, and lots of other stuff, I teach in a public school system. I make a very good salary. It is 12:10 here which is lunch time. The citizens did and are still getting their money's worth though.

I love his "people like me" taxpayer crap.

I guess he's under the assumption you and I are exempt from paying taxes. They're probably teaching that farce over at Democratic Underground.

I guess he's under the assumption you and I are exempt from paying taxes. They're probably teaching that farce over at Democratic Underground.

yep, I pay plenty of taxes. I'm not one of the 47 percent.

yep, I pay plenty of taxes. I'm not one of the 47 percent.

I'd be willing to bet one of my "precious" retirement checks that I paid TWICE as much in taxes in 2010 than that turd YaYank-off EARNED the entire year.

Even as gargantuan as our military complex is, without "people like me", your taxes could not support the pay, pensions and benefits.

Even as gargantuan as our military complex is, without "people like me", your taxes could not support the pay, pensions and benefits.

See post 137, fuckwit.

You mean all those taxes i pay don't do anything? You do understand that military pay is taxable to include retirement pay. Not only that but if your home of record state has a state income tax you pay it too, I paid Ohio taxes for 22 years and I wasn't even in the state. And I still pay taxes, though Ohio recently stopped taxing military retirement, the feds still do. But nice try, Do play again.

Forum List

Back