Michigan Senate passes 48-month limit on welfare,

Bullshit.

This country is full of freeloaders. People who have no problem taking anything they can get. They have kids they never pay for and can't afford but have no problem letting the taxpayers foot the bill for THIER KIDS.

If you and likeminded want to take care of them then whip our your wallets and checkbooks and you do so.

I'm sure you'll just love yourself for your selfless act.

The freeloaders will lov ya too.

Unfortunately, this is a great gimmick and it sounds great to everyone who buys into the idea that we should not be supporting lazy people. Here is the problem with it. There is an assumption that when these people are forced off the dole that they will then go out and finally find a job and earn a living. Sorry, but while that may happen for a few, for most it will not. What will happen is that many of these people will turn to crime and find themselves being arrested and sent to prison.

Here is where the real problem lies. Twenty percent of Michigan's state budget already goes to imprisoning criminals. They are spending close to $2 billion per year on running the prison system, and even this past year, they added even more inmates as the bad economy has turned more people to crime. So what will actually happen is that the state will save a few million on welfare payments and turn around and be forced to spend tens of millions more on locking these people up in prison.

If we want to get these people off of welfare, we need to find a way to train them and get them into the workforce. Just throwing them off of welfare will only change where we throw our tax dollars, and in fact might actually cost more. These are just realities. It has nothing to do whether you agree or disagree with supporting people through a welfare system.

Improving the labor pool (supply) will do NOTHING to increase the number of jobs (demand). This is a little fact of life blatantly ignored in any discussion of UI, welfare benefits, the proposed retirement age, etcetera.

Bullshit.

This country is full of freeloaders. People who have no problem taking anything they can get. They have kids they never pay for and can't afford but have no problem letting the taxpayers foot the bill for THIER KIDS.

If you and likeminded want to take care of them then whip our your wallets and checkbooks and you do so.

ten dollars to a dime, you're "pro life." :lol:

Looking for new ways to pay for tax cuts for those making over a million a year. Remember it's was SC GOP Lt. Gov Andre Baur who said, "Feed the poor and they'll BREED". Two more words than "Let them eat cake".

They aren't "cleaning up" The mess THEY created, they're unjustly allocating blame and economic punishment to the very people most vulnerable to the economic shocks of this last decade. You know, those low wage workers who work at poverty wages so that other peoples stock portfolios keep paying out uniform (and unsustainable) profits.

Bullshit! Why are they working for low wages?

Because that's all koch will pay:cool:

Bullshit.

You're the type that will give your tv preacher thousands of dollars for a brick with your name on it, so he can drive a Towncar.

Last edited:
Like unemployment benefits, welfare was suppose to be a program to get people on their feet. I say 48 month limit, most recertify every 6 months!
You're far more generous than Bill Clinton and the legislators who passed the 1997 Welfare Reform Bill.

That piece of legislation limits most cases to 24 consecutive months, and in my state the re-certification is monthly.

You're right! Welfare to work was 2 years..

It's a step in the right direction, but I would have gone much further and denied welfare benefits to anyone who has children out of wedlock. That's the cause of about 70% of people being on the welfare roles in the first place.

Sure.

Just let them all starve and fall dead in the streets..

Jerk.

Bullshit.

You'd be wrong. I have no problem with abortion.

Last edited:
Bullshit.

You're the type that will give your tv preacher thousands of dollars for a brick with your name on it, so he can drive a Towncar.

You'd be wrong also. I'm not religious and I have no problem with abortion.

Nice try.

I have no problem giving charity when I CHOOSE TO GIVE IT. I do have a problem when the Govt takes my hard earned money and gives it to freeloaders.

As I said. If you and likeminded want to whip out your wallets and checkbooks well be my guest. You can take care of all the freeloaders because its your choice to do so.

Just be aware. They will clean you out.

It's a step in the right direction, but I would have gone much further and denied welfare benefits to anyone who has children out of wedlock. That's the cause of about 70% of people being on the welfare roles in the first place.

Sure.

Just let them all starve and fall dead in the streets..

Jerk.

What happens to them is neither my problem nor my responsibility. This is a country of individual responsibility. If you make stupid decisions then you pay the consequences.

And please stop pretending like you're so pious. You're real sympathetic to the welfare state as long as someone else is footing the bill. There's nothing moral about that.

Bullshit.

I fail to see how her position on abortion is relevant to the topic.

It isn't.

You'll notice whenever I mention that she and all likeminded should open up their wallets and whip out their checkbooks they have no response.

Its much easier to spend someone elses money.

BTW what a ballsy little Dachy on you site. WOW what a gutsy little guy. LOL

They aren't "cleaning up" The mess THEY created, they're unjustly allocating blame and economic punishment to the very people most vulnerable to the economic shocks of this last decade. You know, those low wage workers who work at poverty wages so that other peoples stock portfolios keep paying out uniform (and unsustainable) profits.

To lower the labor overhead.

No, they are low wage earners because they chose to be low wage earners. Any person in America who has the where with all can be a self made millionaire. Rich people aren't holding them back, they hold themselves back and blame other people's "luck".

No, they are low wage earners because they chose to be low wage earners. Any person in America who has the where with all can be a self made millionaire. Rich people aren't holding them back, they hold themselves back and blame other people's "luck".

But not everybody has the "where with all".

And despite what the D of I says, not all men are created equal. The creation process might be equal but after that, it's pretty much a crapshoot.

I've made this challenge twice before here on other threads and I've yet to have any one accept.

On your way home from work tonight, drive thru the part of town where the homeless live. Pick one out. Offer to take them home and move them into the extra room you have. We all have them. You know, that extra room that collects all of our extra stuff. After all, if you have that "junk room", then you have "more than you need" and it's only the right thing to do to open it up to those who are "less fortunate" than yourself. Before you get home though, swing by the grocery store and let them pick out their favorite foods that you will graciously prepare for them. While you are at it, stop by the hardware store and get a new house key made for them. Let them know that they are welcome to invite all their old street buddies over anytine they like.

How many here crying for the welfare crowd are willing to put their personal home where their mouth is? Why not? You're perfectly happy to tax those who "have more than they need" to hand a check to those "less fortunate" when it is impersonal. Step up and do of your own free will what you want the government to force others to do to make you feel good about yourself. Then we can talk.

And despite what the D of I says, not all men are created equal. The creation process might be equal but after that, it's pretty much a crapshoot.

Not everyone is going to be a millionaire. That being said, what is holding people back from providing for themselves? I'm interested to know. And I'm not talking about the small minority born with mental or physical handicaps.

Not everyone is going to be a millionaire. That being said, what is holding people back from providing for themselves? I'm interested to know. And I'm not talking about the small minority born with mental or physical handicaps.

Lot's of things, all of which I'm thankful that I don't have to any great degree.

Lot's of things, all of which I'm thankful that I don't have to any great degree.

Lot's of things doesn't really qualify as an answer to the question. There are plenty of stories of people who made the decision to overcome issues to become successful. Not everyone will make those decisions, but they can.....if they really want to.

Lot's of things doesn't really qualify as an answer to the question. There are plenty of stories of people who made the decision to overcome issues to become successful. Not everyone will make those decisions, but they can.....if they really want to.

Laziness, stupidity, ignorance, bad up-bringing, lack of education, bad breaks, bad life choices, drugs, alchohol, mental instability, etc, etc, etc.

And yes, there are plenty of stories of people who made the decision to overcome issues to become successful and probably just as many who didn't.

So the question is, as a society, what do we do with the losers who just don't have what it takes?

Forum List

Back