Michelle O's School lunch nightmare, Obama kids school NOT INCLUDED

Wow. What a tragedy. If only parents could send a lunch from home.....

Oh, well, whatcha gonna do?

Actually, some places either PROHIBIT that, or throw it away and force the cafeteria slop on them if it's not "healthy" enough.

The only sure way around it I have found would be to claim religious dietary restrictions...no chance any public school has a Kosher (or Halal) kitchen.

Someone actually posted an article on here that said that most cases of home-provided lunches being confiscated or prohibited were overblown, misunderstandings, bad reporting.

That said, I've also made it clear that I reject that schools should have power to decide what parents send for their individual child.

Actually, some places either PROHIBIT that, or throw it away and force the cafeteria slop on them if it's not "healthy" enough.

The only sure way around it I have found would be to claim religious dietary restrictions...no chance any public school has a Kosher (or Halal) kitchen.

I agree that the chances of any public school having a Kosher kitchen are indeed remote. But if none have a Halal kitchen then surely Holder will be after them for racism quicker'n flies swarm over rotting Michelle-meals thrown out by those who'd sooner go hungry.

Tacos and French fries? I think a sloppy Joe is healthier than that.

It is. Kids are still growing, and need fuel for that. The Michell-O lunches are particularly horrible for any kids involved in athletics. They aren't getting enough calories to get them through workouts.

True. Her senior year in HS, my wife (who has ALWAYS been a fitness fanatic) started Nautilus training. (In addition to baseball and soccer.) In about eight months, she added ~25lbs of muscle...and she was ALWAYS hungry. She usually brought her lunch (it was substantial), and sometimes ate that, PLUS the school lunch.

She's still a fitness fanatic, she is the same weight she was in HS (she still fits in her senior prom dress!)...and the combination of her workouts and the metabolism of a furnace means she STILL eats a lot. (At a family cookout, my stepfather saw how much she ate and inquired, "Where does she PUT it all?!")

From your first link.

hK2pzAy.png

I have never seen school lunches served on throw away plates, or a 'school' with a wood table and a couch in the background.

The disposable trays were used when I was in HS, and the "wooden" table looks exactly like the (woodgrain laminate) tables in the cafeteria.

Republicans once again demonstrate their extreme hatred of all things Obama

So much so that they even come out against healthy lunches for schoolchildren

A big part of the problem with school lunches today is that kids can order ala carte, meaning if they offer pizza and french fries, that is all the kids buy to eat. When I was in school, we would purchase a tray lunch (in my case two or three of them) that included a main item such as a hamburger or pizza or sloppy joe, then a small salad, a fruit, a vegetable, and something for dessert, along with a milk. Most kids were happy with that and would eat the stuff they didn't care for as much if they were hungry, but they never really had any complaints because they were also getting something they liked every day. Secondly, imo too much emphasis has been put on school lunches and not nearly enough has been put on the lack of exercise that these kids are getting. The reason I ate three tray lunches per day in high school was because I ran cross-country and track and had one hell of an appetite. I weighed a whopping 120 lbs.

My (and my wife's) problem with the "salads" they offered was that it was always drowned in really-bad oil & vinegar salad dressing. :(

I don't give a darn if the lunch lady loses her job at the school. If she's good at providing lunches for children, the parents will hire her to do it for their children.

Again, the public school's job is to provide education, not food. Your failure to comprehend that fact is indicative of what is wrong with society. Do you ask other public services (think police, fire department) to provide food for children?

That must be that "compassionate conservatism" we hear so much about. The lunch lady can lose her union job and get one making lunch for one child, instead.

A school's job is to educate the child, and to care for the whole child. No, it's not exactly in the school's job to wipe noses or tie shoes, but teachers do those things.
I never said I was compassionate to government intervention, control or intrusion.

Teachers can wipe noses, tie shoes or give hugs all they want to. How is forcing a crappy lunch program an expectation of education?

I sort of half agree with you. But I'll actually take it a step further.
Since the purpose of school is to educate children, lets get rid of the school cafeterias and let the schools focus on education. Let the parents of the children decide what they want their children to eat by packing a lunch for them or having the kids pack their own lunch like I did. It's not the schools responsibility to feed children.

I guess, if people don't think it's up to the schools to provide lunches (or breakfast), then fine. A lot of people would lose jobs.

But since some think it's up to public schools to provide meals, then there should be a certain standard for those meals. I don't have a problem with making it as healthy as possible, while also trying to make it palatable to kids. But every picky kid who throws out his or her lunch can't be a story about how terrible the food is.
Unfortunately, hungry kids do not learn very well...and like in many other aspects.....parents don't bother to feed their kids. But let's DO close down all cafeterias and see what happens.
Parents are responsible for feeding their children, not the school. Close the cafeterias that serve shitty food and you might find that parents become responsible citizens. Those that don't might find that their offspring go the way of the dodo bird.
I think the Republican Party should add "Close down all school cafeterias" as a plank on their National Platform.
As opposed to a Democrat platform of feeding children barfalicious food?
There is a reason I tend to vote Libertarian. It has to do with getting the federal government out of my life.
So, we agree on what the Republicans should promote in their national platform...getting cafeterias out of schools.
Add removing the liberals promoting their crappy lunch agenda and we might agree.
I'm pretty sure you don't desire the crappy lunches served in government schools. Or do you?

By God, the meal YOU provide for MY kid should be what I want him to eat.

:rofl:

Reminds me of a few years ago, the wife and I were doing Boy Scouts b/c no other parents wanted to do it, my boys were both older by then and my DAUGHTERS are in GIRL scouts, but we felt the Boys needed a leader and we know most of them so we volunteered

Anyway , we had our meetings and such and I paid for ALL snacks and everything out of my pocket so that every penny the boys collected could go towards a t,rip they all wanted to go on.

After a few months of weekly meetings my wife and I are cleaning up after a meeting and this guy barges in and starts berating my wife that it isn't fair that his kid has to veggies and such as a snack.

Now my wife is MUCH more patient than I am. The guy was right in her face, and she politely told him that for the next meeting he could provide any snacks he wished within reason of course. No that wasn't good enough for the guy he INSISTED that we HAD to provide alternative snacks for kids who didn't like veggies. She explained to him that we were paying for things out of our own pocket and felt like maybe that should be our call. He called her a cheap **** and gave her a shove

You don't shove my wife and walk away, but that's another story...........

People are too fucking much............

Some of you seem to think menu and quality control are dictated by MO, they are not. A local school can do whatever it pleases and serve whatever it pleases within the guidelines. Whole wheat pasta? That's crappy food?

I sort of half agree with you. But I'll actually take it a step further.
Since the purpose of school is to educate children, lets get rid of the school cafeterias and let the schools focus on education. Let the parents of the children decide what they want their children to eat by packing a lunch for them or having the kids pack their own lunch like I did. It's not the schools responsibility to feed children.

I guess, if people don't think it's up to the schools to provide lunches (or breakfast), then fine. A lot of people would lose jobs.

But since some think it's up to public schools to provide meals, then there should be a certain standard for those meals. I don't have a problem with making it as healthy as possible, while also trying to make it palatable to kids. But every picky kid who throws out his or her lunch can't be a story about how terrible the food is.
Unfortunately, hungry kids do not learn very well...and like in many other aspects.....parents don't bother to feed their kids. But let's DO close down all cafeterias and see what happens.
Parents are responsible for feeding their children, not the school. Close the cafeterias that serve shitty food and you might find that parents become responsible citizens. Those that don't might find that their offspring go the way of the dodo bird.
I think the Republican Party should add "Close down all school cafeterias" as a plank on their National Platform.
As opposed to a Democrat platform of feeding children barfalicious food?
There is a reason I tend to vote Libertarian. It has to do with getting the federal government out of my life.
I love this one

Let republicans add school lunch leeches to welfare queens, birth control and food stamps
I'm not republican, but then I also didn't say anything about welfare queens, birth control or food stamps, so you are pretty much 100% wrong. Perhaps next time you want to make a comment you should try to stick to what was really said instead or your crappy bias and false insinuation.

THIS is what these kids are squealing about...they want their PIZZA and FRENCH FRIES

FLORENCE, S.C.
– Students arrived on the first day of school and realized a lot had changed over the summer.

The lunch line they used to visit to pick up pizza and french fries now had “same school lunch food as the others with more salad.”

SCnow.com reports:

Sophomore Madeline Taylor noticed that hardly anyone was eating.

“The entire rest of the day all I heard about was how hungry everyone was,” she said. “I then became very concerned about what would happen if this continued everyday throughout the school year.”

In response, students launched a petition on Change.org to bring back their favorites. It’s titled, “Bring Back The Choice of Pizza and French Fries” and to date has over 400 signatures.

“My petition wasn't just to bring back the pizza and french fries.

From the article

No one has ever explained to the students exactly why our favorite lunch choices have been taken away.”

Because you're a fucking kid, now sit down and shut up.

Seriously, they are KIDS not tiny adults. They do not get a say in policymaking.
And evidently, neither do their parents.
Oh wait, I guess some parents rely on the government to feed their kids.

Herr Michelle said to eat it and like it damn it.. But for her kids at Sidwell, there is an actual chef who makes them gourmet lunches daily on top of decadent desserts.. Sidwell kids to the front, PUBLIK SKROOL SERFS to the back of the bus, NOW.

I ask again ma'am. Why do you think private schools should have to adhere to public school policy?
I think the better questions are,
Why do public schools enforce such crappy policies?
Why are public schools providing lunches when their focus is education not feeding?
Do you want your children eating crappy government meals, or just the children of other people?

A big part of the problem with school lunches today is that kids can order ala carte, meaning if they offer pizza and french fries, that is all the kids buy to eat. When I was in school, we would purchase a tray lunch (in my case two or three of them) that included a main item such as a hamburger or pizza or sloppy joe, then a small salad, a fruit, a vegetable, and something for dessert, along with a milk. Most kids were happy with that and would eat the stuff they didn't care for as much if they were hungry, but they never really had any complaints because they were also getting something they liked every day. Secondly, imo too much emphasis has been put on school lunches and not nearly enough has been put on the lack of exercise that these kids are getting. The reason I ate three tray lunches per day in high school was because I ran cross-country and track and had one hell of an appetite. I weighed a whopping 120 lbs.

NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS.. You ARE NOT their parent.. The parents have the right and say so on what their kids eat.. NOT YOU OR BIG DADDY THUG.

And the American people have the "right" to PAY for childhood obesity and the obese adults most of them become?

Since 1960, the number of obese Americans has tripled. What? Tripled, yes!! And six times more Americans are now extremely obese than 50 years ago. Unfortunately, everyone is paying for this obesity epidemic. How much? Here are 10 shocking numbers related to the costs of obesity:

1. $190 billion -- That's the amount of added medical costs every year that are estimated to stem from obesity-related problems. It’s nearly 21% of total U.S. health care costs.
  2. 105% -- According to a study conducted by the Brookings Institution, this is the increased amount that obese Americans pay for prescription drugs compared to individuals who aren't obese.
  3. $3.4 billion -- Cars are burning around 938 million gallons of gasoline per year more than they would if Americans weighed what they did in 1960.
  4. $164 billion -- The Society of Actuaries estimates that U.S. employers are losing this amount in productivity each year due to obesity-related issues with employees.
  5. $6.4 billion -- Every year, this amount is estimated to be lost due to employee absenteeism related to obesity.
  6. $1 billion -- U.S. airlines are consuming an extra 350 million gallons of fuel per year due to overweight passengers.
  7. $14.3 billion -- This is how much childhood obesity costs the U.S. each year, according to a published study from the Brookings Institution.
  8. $62 billion -- Medicare and Medicaid are spending nearly this amount every year on obesity-related costs.
  9. $66 billion -- Columbia University researchers say that if current trends don't change, annul obesity-related medical costs in the U.S. could increase this amount by 2030.
  10. $580 billion -- The Robert Wood Johnson Foundation predicts that annual economic productivity loss due to obesity could hit this staggering amount by 2030 unless the current situation changes.
- See more at: 10 Flabbergasting Costs of America s Obesity Epidemic - Motley Fool
I'm kinda thinking that maybe the obese people should be responsible for their own health foolishness.
If somebody smokes, they get charged more for health insurance, do the same for fat people.
It's no different than charging more for auto insurance for people with lots of traffic violations.

NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS.. You ARE NOT their parent.. The parents have the right and say so on what their kids eat.. NOT YOU OR BIG DADDY THUG.

And the American people have the "right" to PAY for childhood obesity and the obese adults most of them become?

Since 1960, the number of obese Americans has tripled. What? Tripled, yes!! And six times more Americans are now extremely obese than 50 years ago. Unfortunately, everyone is paying for this obesity epidemic. How much? Here are 10 shocking numbers related to the costs of obesity:

1. $190 billion -- That's the amount of added medical costs every year that are estimated to stem from obesity-related problems. It’s nearly 21% of total U.S. health care costs.
  2. 105% -- According to a study conducted by the Brookings Institution, this is the increased amount that obese Americans pay for prescription drugs compared to individuals who aren't obese.
  3. $3.4 billion -- Cars are burning around 938 million gallons of gasoline per year more than they would if Americans weighed what they did in 1960.
  4. $164 billion -- The Society of Actuaries estimates that U.S. employers are losing this amount in productivity each year due to obesity-related issues with employees.
  5. $6.4 billion -- Every year, this amount is estimated to be lost due to employee absenteeism related to obesity.
  6. $1 billion -- U.S. airlines are consuming an extra 350 million gallons of fuel per year due to overweight passengers.
  7. $14.3 billion -- This is how much childhood obesity costs the U.S. each year, according to a published study from the Brookings Institution.
  8. $62 billion -- Medicare and Medicaid are spending nearly this amount every year on obesity-related costs.
  9. $66 billion -- Columbia University researchers say that if current trends don't change, annul obesity-related medical costs in the U.S. could increase this amount by 2030.
  10. $580 billion -- The Robert Wood Johnson Foundation predicts that annual economic productivity loss due to obesity could hit this staggering amount by 2030 unless the current situation changes.
- See more at: 10 Flabbergasting Costs of America s Obesity Epidemic - Motley Fool
I'm kinda thinking that maybe the obese people should be responsible for their own health foolishness.
If somebody smokes, they get charged more for health insurance, do the same for fat people.
It's no different than charging more for auto insurance for people with lots of traffic violations.

I would like to see a study of how many people on SNAP are obese

Would be VERY interesting

Stammtisch_Ruhrgebiet_Januar_2007_Oberhausen_Pommes.JPG

All the way back to the Reagan Administration, Republicans saw this as a "Salad". And still do.

Of course they aren't.

They kill them all.

I think the Department of Education, under both parties, rate the catsup in your partisan propaganda image as a "vegetable", which I'll admit is a bit of a stretch. But give us a link to where the Republican Party has ever regarded a bowl of greasy French fries as "salad".

I think obesity is connected to depression and/or poverty. It's also connected to a paradigm shift in the American people's unwillingness to get up off their fat asses and to exercise. I'm 64. I remember elementary school when a kid 5 lbs. overweight was "fatty, fatty 2 x 4!". And kids being the little demons they are, they never got tired of reminding an overweight classmate that he/she was gross.

These days, if somebody is only 5 lbs. overweight, they're positively bulimic. And if they're 10 years old, teachers are calling in psychological councilors to grill the kid to find out if his parents are starving him at home. We’ve eliminated much of life's previous drudgery and the mandatory exercise it required, and we’ve replaced it with what? Unprecedented obesity, heart disease, diabetes, stroke, heart attack, and more cancers than humanity has ever known. I guess they call that “progress”.

Last edited:
I think obesity is connected to depression and/or poverty. It's also connected to a paradigm shift in the American people's unwillingness to get up off their fat asses and to exercise. I'm 64. I remember elementary school when a kid 5 lbs. overweight was "fatty, fatty 2 x 4!". And kids being the little demons they are, they never got tired of reminding an overweight classmate that he/she was gross.

Beat the shit out of a couple and they do. If the dude can't walk for a few days, it might only take one.

These days, if somebody is only 5 lbs. overweight, they're positively bulimic. And if they're 10 years old, teachers are calling in psychological councilors to grill the kid to find out if his parents are starving him at home. We’ve eliminated much of life's previous drudgery and the mandatory exercise it required, and we’ve replaced it with what? Unprecedented obesity, heart disease, diabetes, stroke, heart attack, and more cancers than humanity has ever known. I guess they call that “progress”.

Granted I graduated from HS a million years ago according to my 5 year old, but when I was in school , we had like 2 kids in our class of 89 people who I would call fat.

Forum List

Back