Michelle Breaks Illinois Election Laws

If she were taking some kind of an intimidating stance on something or taking names of people who disagree with her husband, I would have a problem with this. But... well, first off, this comes from Drudge, so trusting the report is one thing, but even if it were true, for her to say that she supports her husband's policies is not campaigning in my opinion.

If it is then just wearing a lapel pin stating that you are either a Democrat or a Republican would also be campaigning.

I'm fine with not wasting the prosecutor's time or budget on this case.

Immie

You would not be able to enter a polling area wearing a candidate's pin or party pin, at least where I've lived in IL. Seriously, it's enforced. Actually other than saying hello, there's little talk inside the polling place between voters.

If you don't think the first lady just showing up with her entourage is intimidating, guess again. That wasn't the time or place. I don't think she should be prosecuted, but do think the media should cover it, so there's not more of it with Emanuel coming back.

Are you saying that she should have been forced to vote using an absentee ballot and she should not have been allowed in the precinct at all? She is a celebrity. Just walking into the precinct was a political statement. Perhaps she should have been arrested for that?

She let someone take pictures with her and she mentioned she supported her husband's policies! That is not campaigning and from what I read in the article she did not pass out any pamphlets as someone said in this discussion earlier.

Immie

Not at all. She should have voted, before and after if she wished to campaign/support/ discuss just have done it outside the 100 ft., like you or I would have to do. Of course, we wouldn't be listened to, but the point is following the law. You know, how they are supposed to apply to all?

I know, but dude. if she had a history of this, I'd say bang her out...but.

If this story is true. I am not saying she should be charged or anything, But we damn sure can fault her for it.

yes, in the other thread on this someone posted that her father was a precinct captain, frankly I would expect that she should know this.
She knows, it is just that the dimwits think they are above the law and can do anything they want.

Why is it stupid to bar people from campaigning in a polling place?

It is not stupid to bar people from campaigning in public places, but she was not campaigning. She mentioned her husband and she mentioned that she supports his policies. That is not campaigning. That is being a loving spouse.

And like I said originally, everything she says these days is political. Perhaps, we should muzzle her before letting her enter a precinct?

Immie
She told the 56 year old voter he should vote for her husbands policies, she broke the law, period.

This thread pisses me off!

I have to say that for once I actually agree with Robert Gibbs.

Immie

I hear what you're saying, I just disagree. It's another case of the law applying to us, but not to them. We get what they want, they tell us what they are going to do, they do differently and people are getting beyond angry.

If she were taking some kind of an intimidating stance on something or taking names of people who disagree with her husband, I would have a problem with this. But... well, first off, this comes from Drudge, so trusting the report is one thing, but even if it were true, for her to say that she supports her husband's policies is not campaigning in my opinion.

If it is then just wearing a lapel pin stating that you are either a Democrat or a Republican would also be campaigning.

Immie
Typical, you are what it is about. If it was a republicans wife that did this you would want her arrested, hypocrit!!! She broke the law, period!!!

Last edited:
I'm no Obama supporter, but I'm sorry, this is just plain stupid and a waste of bandwidth.

Seeing as how anything and everything she says is political these days, I suppose those who claim she broke the law think they should put a muzzle on her before she enters a precinct.

This is about on the lines of arresting a woman for falling asleep under a hair dryer in Florida!

Women may be fined for falling asleep under a hair dryer, as can the salon owner.

or a Florida married couple for having oral sex.

Oral sex is illegal.

or arresting a man for kissing his wife's breasts.

You may not kiss your wife’s breasts.

Dumb Laws in Florida. Crazy Florida Laws. We have weird laws, strange laws, and just plain crazy laws!

Hell, reading some of those stupid laws, I have to confess that I am a bonafide criminal! :lol:

Forgive me, but I am not going to scream for the arrest of Michelle Obama because she happened to mention her husband in a polling place.

Immie

So you're saying, Illinois state law — Sec. 17-29 (a) — states: “No judge of election, pollwatcher, or other person shall, at any primary or election, do any electioneering or soliciting of votes or engage in any political discussion within any polling place, within 100 feet of any polling place.” is a dumb law?

:cuckoo:

r2326963810.jpg

There is a huge headline on drudge stating that Michelle Obama was caught campaigning at a polling place in Chicago.

MICHELLE CAMPAIGNED INSIDE POLLING PLACE?
Thu Oct 14 2010 16:19:25 ET

First lady Michelle Obama may have violated Illinois law today -- when she engaged in political discussion at a polling place!

Mrs. Obama stopped off at the Martin Luther King Center on the south side of Chicago to cast an early vote.

After she finished at the voting machine, Obama went back to the desk and handed in her voting key.

She let voters including electrician Dennis Campbell, 56, take some photos with her.

"She was telling me how important it was to vote to keep her husband's agenda going," Campbell said.

According to the pool reporter at the scene, the conversation took place IN the voting center not far from the booths.

Illinois state law -- Sec. 17-29 (a) -- states: "No judge of election, pollwatcher, or other person shall, at any primary or election, do any electioneering or soliciting of votes or engage in any political discussion within any polling place, within 100 feet of any polling place."

Developing...

DRUDGE: MICHELLE CAMPAIGNED INSIDE POLLING PLACE?

Wonder if the DOJ is gonna drop this one too.

I just want to know who let this woman out in public wearing that outfit?

I hear what you're saying, I just disagree. It's another case of the law applying to us, but not to them. We get what they want, they tell us what they are going to do, they do differently and people are getting beyond angry.

Immie
Typical, you are what it is about. If it was a republicans wife that did this you would want her arrested, hypocrit!!! She broke the law, period!!!

Whose alter-ego are you then?

r2326963810.jpg

There is a huge headline on drudge stating that Michelle Obama was caught campaigning at a polling place in Chicago.

First lady Michelle Obama may have violated Illinois law today -- when she engaged in political discussion at a polling place!

Mrs. Obama stopped off at the Martin Luther King Center on the south side of Chicago to cast an early vote.

After she finished at the voting machine, Obama went back to the desk and handed in her voting key.

She let voters including electrician Dennis Campbell, 56, take some photos with her.

"She was telling me how important it was to vote to keep her husband's agenda going," Campbell said.

According to the pool reporter at the scene, the conversation took place IN the voting center not far from the booths.

Illinois state law -- Sec. 17-29 (a) -- states: "No judge of election, pollwatcher, or other person shall, at any primary or election, do any electioneering or soliciting of votes or engage in any political discussion within any polling place, within 100 feet of any polling place."

Developing...

I just want to know who let this woman out in public wearing that outfit?

I did. Guilty as charged.

Why do I have a feeling that if she ignored that guy, the headlines would be about how she's a stuck up elitist.

because you're a nut?

Actually, I think I know the right wing clientele.

You're right, so break the law instead... good call.

I love the "what if" game... What if Zoolander ran for president and won and fixed the country by talking about UFO's.

So is there any actual evidence this happened or are people actually basing their reality off what the Drudge Report says now? Guess I might as well start sourcing the National Enquirer on USMB for news.

So is there any actual evidence this happened or are people actually basing their reality off what the Drudge Report says now? Guess I might as well start sourcing the National Enquirer on USMB for news.
Would the White House press secretary's confirmation of it be good enough for you?

Would the White House press secretary's confirmation of it be good enough for you?

Good point. But come to think about it, Gibbs is just slightly more of a reliable source than the Onion.

Good point. But come to think about it, Gibbs is just slightly more of a reliable source than the Onion.
:lol:

Immie

You are not usually so stupid AmericanFirst. That has got to be the dumbest thing you have ever said on this site.

I am as anti-Democratic Party as the rest of you. In fact, it has only been the past year or so when I would even say anything at all against the Republican Party.

Now, I have come to realize that both parties are not worth shit.

I don't suppose you have ever driven over the speed limit. Hypocrite!

Immie

Laws are for us, not them. This brings it all to mind:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAdJLLmpWBU&feature=player_embedded[/ame]

r2326963810.jpg

Developing...

Let's see .... they dropped Obama's 20+ years in Wright's church. They dropped Obama's association with Ayers. They've ignored the birth certificate thing.

What do YOU think?

Forum List

Back