Metro Apps in Win 8/8.1 No Longer Open

XPostFacto

VIP Member
May 17, 2013
The Sticks
I have had this happen to me, before, but I had several viruses so I was forced to re-install Windows 8. I am now using a brand new copy of Norton Anti-virus, which found the other viruses. It now says I don't have a virus. I don't really care much for Metro, but I do live the weather and maps app, and the store app has its usefulness. I would have ignored the problem, but I discovered I couldn't get into PC Settings, so I started searching the Internet. I discovered this site and downloaded an app that fixed the problem.

Control Panel and PC settings - Enable or Disable Access

Go down to Option 1 and click the first download button to enable Control Panel and PC Settings.You then download an app called Enable PC Setting and Control Panel. I ran the software and that fixed my problem immediately, well, I had to reboot for it to take, but it's fixed now. I would like to know how Metro got disabled in the first place? Anybody have any ideas?

I have had this happen to me, before, but I had several viruses so I was forced to re-install Windows 8. I am now using a brand new copy of Norton Anti-virus, which found the other viruses. It now says I don't have a virus. I don't really care much for Metro, but I do live the weather and maps app, and the store app has its usefulness. I would have ignored the problem, but I discovered I couldn't get into PC Settings, so I started searching the Internet. I discovered this site and downloaded an app that fixed the problem.

Go down to Option 1 and click the first download button to enable Control Panel and PC Settings.You then download an app called Enable PC Setting and Control Panel. I ran the software and that fixed my problem immediately, well, I had to reboot for it to take, but it's fixed now. I would like to know how Metro got disabled in the first place? Anybody have any ideas?
Most likely Norton did not get all the viruses, unless you have a backup like Malwarebytes I would suspect you might still have a couple left. Also one of the viruses probably disabled your settings.
Most likely the viruses got in one of two ways, opening up an e-mail that looked legit or it got through your browser and firewall which leads to a couple of questions. Which browser are you using (and do you have any add-ons activated) and is your firewall activated?

Most likely Norton did not get all the viruses, unless you have a backup like Malwarebytes I would suspect you might still have a couple left. Also one of the viruses probably disabled your settings.
Most likely the viruses got in one of two ways, opening up an e-mail that looked legit or it got through your browser and firewall which leads to a couple of questions. Which browser are you using (and do you have any add-ons activated) and is your firewall activated?

I mostly use Firefox and have all the add ons disabled. I only use Windows Explorer when I want to watch a You Tube video since I have all the Flash apps disabled in Firefox.

I have a hunch that Crap Cleaner may be the culprit. I use it to delete all the extra swap and temp files, but I have used it to clean up the registry. I think too judicious use of CClearner in registry cleaning has created my problem.

Norton said that this particular download of CCleaner was okay, but it flagged one of the copies I had on my back up drive as being nothing more than a front for a backdoor Trojan.

I mostly use Firefox and have all the add ons disabled. I only use Windows Explorer when I want to watch a You Tube video since I have all the Flash apps disabled in Firefox.

I have a hunch that Crap Cleaner may be the culprit. I use it to delete all the extra swap and temp files, but I have used it to clean up the registry. I think too judicious use of CClearner in registry cleaning has created my problem.

Norton said that this particular download of CCleaner was okay, but it flagged one of the copies I had on my back up drive as being nothing more than a front for a backdoor Trojan.
Now that i think about it your culprit was probably Norton all along. Norton is notorious for false flags and deleting perfectly legit .exe files.

Now that i think about it your culprit was probably Norton all along. Norton is notorious for false flags and deleting perfectly legit .exe files.

I just read Norton again for a full scan, and it quarantined 19 tracking cookies, but they were not viruses. I used to run the free Zone Alarm anti-virus and firewall, but replaced them with Norton after Norton found what Zone Alarm ignored. I wonder if Norton is programmed to find what are supposed viruses, but it's really a BS advertising scheme. I'm getting where I don't trust any of the anti-virus software out there.

I just read Norton again for a full scan, and it quarantined 19 tracking cookies, but they were not viruses. I used to run the free Zone Alarm anti-virus and firewall, but replaced them with Norton after Norton found what Zone Alarm ignored. I wonder if Norton is programmed to find what are supposed viruses, but it's really a BS advertising scheme. I'm getting where I don't trust any of the anti-virus software out there.
I tried zone Alarm years ago, don't remember why I dropped it but I remember it wasn't good, stopped using Norton and McAfee eons ago when I realized how much they were slowing my computer down (resource hogs). I've been using Avast (free version) and Malwaebytes for at least a decade and only one virus has ever gotten through and I'm pretty sure that was my fault with a download, that was 8 years ago.
If you're talking about PUPs (Potentially Unwanted Programs) it's pretty normal for all of them to find those as they come with downloaded programs, cookies, etc generally as additional programs or as "download managers" that ya don't need or want. Unless they changed it recently if you use Adobe Flash (I do) you automatically install Vosteran Browser, it's required to accept the Flash software, Malewarebytes will get rid of it.
I remember now, it wasn't a download, it was an e-mail from a friend, his account had been hijacked.

I'm using the 3 month try it out copy of Norton that came with the apps for my Gigabyte motherboard. I retired from the DOD, and they, as in NMCI (Navy Marine Corps Intranet), liked the enterprise version of McAfee. I have a copy of that, meaning, you never have to buy another anti-virus because it gets new signatures every day, and is legal for all those employed with or retired from the government, since it is reasoned that if the work computer gets a virus, it came from the worker's home computer. I don't usually get viruses, but lately, I have had a run of bad luck. I tried to get a copy of Windows 7 from a local computer shop, but they wouldn't sell me the OEM copy unless I bought a motherboard from them. I already had a new motherboard, and I sure wasn't going to waste money on an MSI board. I already wasted it on the Gigabyte board.

I always disabled Norton or Mcafee in Startup so they didn't hog resources and would just activate them at least once a week to check to see if I was infected.

If you disable the User Account Control, Metro Apps won´t work anymore. PC settings, however, still work.
Disable User Account Control UAC the Easy Way on Win 7 8 or Vista

If you´d like to create your own Windows 8 DVD with updates included, UAC disabled, some settings changed and Metro Apps removed from the DVD: Making my own Windows DVD US Message Board - Political Discussion Forum

BP, I appreciate the information, and I will study that, but I really want to leave Metro intact because I like the Maps section, which I use a lot, and you can't beat the convenience of the Weather app. Now, with Store, I will download free games such as Chess, Checkers, and the favorite card games of Solitaire and Freecell. I suppose, I could set this up as a temporary disablement and only re-enable as needed.

BP, I appreciate the information, and I will study that, but I really want to leave Metro intact because I like the Maps section, which I use a lot, and you can't beat the convenience of the Weather app. Now, with Store, I will download free games such as Chess, Checkers, and the favorite card games of Solitaire and Freecell. I suppose, I could set this up as a temporary disablement and only re-enable as needed.
In that case, I would look out for alternatives. Turning off UAC also provides additional comfort. For example, you don´t have to confirm any action involving drive c: anymore.
And you can get free card games as normal programs, as well.

You might take a look at this desktop customization tool. It also provides weather info and hundreds or thousands of designs:
Rainmeter desktop customization tool

I'm using the 3 month try it out copy of Norton that came with the apps for my Gigabyte motherboard. I retired from the DOD, and they, as in NMCI (Navy Marine Corps Intranet), liked the enterprise version of McAfee. I have a copy of that, meaning, you never have to buy another anti-virus because it gets new signatures every day, and is legal for all those employed with or retired from the government, since it is reasoned that if the work computer gets a virus, it came from the worker's home computer. I don't usually get viruses, but lately, I have had a run of bad luck. I tried to get a copy of Windows 7 from a local computer shop, but they wouldn't sell me the OEM copy unless I bought a motherboard from them. I already had a new motherboard, and I sure wasn't going to waste money on an MSI board. I already wasted it on the Gigabyte board.

I always disabled Norton or Mcafee in Startup so they didn't hog resources and would just activate them at least once a week to check to see if I was infected.
By deactivating them you open yourself up, they have (as all good AVs do) real time protection to catch attacks trying to get in. If you go with Avast free it comes with those protections sans the resource hogging. If you want a little more protection (auto scans all incoming email) buy the paid version, it's not expensive.
Either that or activate Mcafee and let it run all the time since you already have it. :dunno:
Oh and at least activate your Windows Firewall.

In that case, I would look out for alternatives. Turning off UAC also provides additional comfort. For example, you don´t have to confirm any action involving drive c: anymore.

You might take a look at this desktop customization tool. It also provides weather info and hundreds or thousands of designs:

As I indicated before, I like the Maps and Weather apps. The Maps app is very good whenever I plan a long bicycle trip. It gives me a heads up as to what to expect, much better than using Mapquest. Now, I no longer need to install the outdated Microsoft Streets and Trips app.

As I indicated before, I like the Maps and Weather apps. The Maps app is very good whenever I plan a long bicycle trip. It gives me a heads up as to what to expect, much better than using Mapquest. Now, I no longer need to install the outdated Microsoft Streets and Trips app.
There is also a workaround on disabling UAC without having apps disabled as well but I cannot recommend it or warn of it because I did not test it. But what I also know is that there are tools that make Modern Apps run in a normal window but as far as I remember it is quite expensive.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back