Making my own Windows DVD

Bleipriester

Freedom!
Nov 14, 2012
Doucheland
I have found another nice tool that lets you create your own Windows DVD.
I include updates, a language pack and some tweaks:
- Net Framework 3 preinstalled
- Shortcut arrows and suffix disabled
- 3rd party themes allowed
- Take Ownership option in context menu
- Word Wrap in Notepad

That takes a while. Then, before the image is being created I include a bunch of software that then can be installed from the DVD. I get an 8GB image which I will burn onto a DVD.

The result is a copy that requires no key and can be activated with an KMS-Server emulation tool that - of course - is also on the DVD. That provides me with an totally independent Windows 8.1 Enterprise. I prefer Enterprise because it can make portable Windows copies on an USB thumb.

The tool I mean is WinToolkit. It is freeware.

Now making my last try. Figured out that the tool is automatically adjusting the icon spacing on the desktop. That results in a ugly space between left edge and the icons. Fixed by a regfile I created. It changes the space between two icons.

Done. I added small icons in task bar, no grouping on task bar, this pc on desktop. With all that the installation time of windows is reduced to 20 minutes and the integrated language pack germanizes now even the boot screen and settings. I still need a DVD to test the created image but it works fine from USB.

The DVD development continues.
I excluded all the pre-installed modern apps from the image, so installation time will further decrease and I can turn off UAC by default. If UAC is disabled, use and uninstalling of apps is impossible. I have apps on my smartphone and when no apps are installed during installation, there is no need to let UAC enabled for the uninstall task.
Removing Metro Apps from a Windows 8 Image

Interesting...a nice find.
I would think this would make an excellent tool for enterprise-wide IT managers to employ multiple installations on new boxes.
If you can create a WIndows install, make numerous tweaks, printer installs, network settings etc. - that would be amazing.
In the office it takes me anywhere between 45 minutes to an hour per machine removing bloatware, then installing anti-virus etc.
This would be awesome.

I guess, a more comprehensive tool is required for professional use at work. This freeware can integrate drivers and tweaks but no additional software.

Forum List

Back