Memphis City Council unanimously votes to dig up Confederate General, wife

They may not be able to dig up the General and his wife, it seems the council neglected to check the laws on the matter.

This is definitely going to far. It is morbid, and completely unnecessary. I don't know what kind of a man this person was, but to desecrate his grave is very wrong, IMO.
His grave is not being desecrated. Remains are exhumed exhumed everyday in this country. As long as it is done respectfully and with dignity it is not anything close to being desecration. The remains were exhumed after 25 years of being buried in a Cemetery and moved to the current setting in a city park. Was that desecration?

This is completely unnecessary and rotten. Remains are exhumed usually for the purpose of solving a crime or because the body NEEDS to be moved! This is just to the point of ridiculous.
They city council is wise enough to comprehend that the tomb and monument have a very good chance of becoming targeted as a locations for both protest and vandalism. Forrest is a key figure in founding the KKK and as a General ordered the murder of captured black POW's while they begged for mercy. He does not deserve a position of honor maintained and cared for at the expense of the city. That is what the city council, made up of mostly Republicans and divided almost equally between white and black elected officials.

Back then, things were different. People were more ignorant, less educated and they really actually believed that others were lesser people than themselves. This was mostly due to the fact that black people, indians, etc., were considered "savages." They didn't have civilization as did most Europeans, so they were thought of as "savages" and less like people. This is not really their FAULT. They were a product of their society at the time. This, digging up historical graves, is just unacceptable, IMO. This guy could be a learning experience for students visiting this historical site.

They may not be able to dig up the General and his wife, it seems the council neglected to check the laws on the matter.

Well why would they. they seem to think they can do whatever THE HELL they feel like. I also heard one reason was the University wanted to USE the land they were on.

snip:
Memphis City Council Votes to Dig Up Grave of Confederate General, Sell His Statue

snippet:
Some believe the Memphis City Council vote is another example of the anti-Confederacy hysteria that swept parts of the country after a photo surfaced of alleged Charleston gunman Dylann Roof posing with a Confederate flag. But city council member Janis Fullilove asked if the move has something to do with a rumored “$500 million [University of Tennessee] expansion” that would use the land where Forrest is currently buried.

all of it here:
Memphis to Exhume Confederate Gen. Nathan Bedford Forrest

I hope they are cursed forever for desecrating a grave. Not that they aren't now with some idiotic City Council. my gawd where are the citizens in that city

I think LIMITS are going to be needed on what powers a city Council has in running things on a city. this is Ridiculous.

Except no one said anything about 'Desecrating a grave". Just relocating it. Not that I believe in any of the superstitious mumbo-jumbo about graves being sacred, but General Klansman and his Wife were originally buried in Elmwood Cemetery when he died in 1877. Their bodies were only relocated to this park in 1904.

When his body is moved back to Elmwood Cemetery one can assume all the mumbo-jumbo will be observed.

They just won't have a statue commemorating a man who committed war crimes and started a hate group.

I hope they are cursed forever for desecrating a grave. Not that they aren't now with some idiotic City Council. my gawd where are the citizens in that city

I think LIMITS are going to be needed on what powers a city Council has in running things on a city. this is Ridiculous.

Except no one said anything about 'Desecrating a grave". Just relocating it. Not that I believe in any of the superstitious mumbo-jumbo about graves being sacred, but General Klansman and his Wife were originally buried in Elmwood Cemetery when he died in 1877. Their bodies were only relocated to this park in 1904.

When his body is moved back to Elmwood Cemetery one can assume all the mumbo-jumbo will be observed.

They just won't have a statue commemorating a man who committed war crimes and started a hate group.

Right. Respect for the dead, is superstitious mumbo jumbo.

It has only been a part of Western CUlture for thousands of years.

Barbarism.

Barbarism.

this is what the left has become and is now dumping all over us and our country. they will do anything FOR POWER. The people better wake up and soon

You don't "cleanse" history. That is what they did when telling the stories of the Pilgrims and Christopher Columbus in school! All of these years I've been lied to in school about these kinds of events. Perhaps you like not knowing the facts, but I prefer to know the facts. You learn from history. You don't "cleanse" it.

Actually, you do "cleanse" history when you go back and get an accurate account.

The biggest problem with the Civil War in that in our desire to put the bad blood behind us during Reconstruction, we allowed the South to think that they really did fight for a noble cause (they didn't), and we let the people who instigated what was in effect treason to walk away with their reputations intact.

Forrest is a more noxious example. The man committed a pretty serious war crime- the Fort Pillow Massacre where Colored soldiers were slaughtered as an act of revenge - and after the war, he founded the Ku Klux Klan, a group that is still committing hate crimes 150 years later.

He does not deserve to have a place of honor with a statue like he was a great man. He wasn't. He was a traitor and a racist.

Barbarism.

The dead are the dead. Why do they deserve more respect than the living?

Frankly, I think a lot of our death rituals are kind of bizarre. We waste far too much time worrying about what happens to our bodies when we are done using them.

this is what the left has become and is now dumping all over us and our country. they will do anything FOR POWER. The people better wake up and soon

again, I was a right winger until I was told that my boss could screw me over because "he didn't have to deal with a union'.

I'm all for having the power taken away from the rich and given back to working folks.

And I'm not going to get all upset that we are going to bury some Klansman in obscurity where he deserves.

Do you know what they did to dead Nazis after WWII? The guys they hung at Nuremburg? They CREMATED the bodies and scattered the ashes in secret so that their graves couldn't become shrines.

Even I wouldn't go so far with General Forrest, but removing their honor isn't a bad thing.

You don't "cleanse" history. That is what they did when telling the stories of the Pilgrims and Christopher Columbus in school! All of these years I've been lied to in school about these kinds of events. Perhaps you like not knowing the facts, but I prefer to know the facts. You learn from history. You don't "cleanse" it.

Actually, you do "cleanse" history when you go back and get an accurate account.

The biggest problem with the Civil War in that in our desire to put the bad blood behind us during Reconstruction, we allowed the South to think that they really did fight for a noble cause (they didn't), and we let the people who instigated what was in effect treason to walk away with their reputations intact.

Forrest is a more noxious example. The man committed a pretty serious war crime- the Fort Pillow Massacre where Colored soldiers were slaughtered as an act of revenge - and after the war, he founded the Ku Klux Klan, a group that is still committing hate crimes 150 years later.

He does not deserve to have a place of honor with a statue like he was a great man. He wasn't. He was a traitor and a racist.

I didn't know all that. I still think this piece of history could be used as an "example" of how not to be though and be used for teaching kids, rather than digging up historical graves of people you don't like or don't agree with. He's dead now and has been for quite a looooong time.

Slide1.jpg

what's next for you alleged Americans re-education???

Well why would they. they seem to think they can do whatever THE HELL they feel like. I also heard one reason was the University wanted to USE the land they were on.

snip:
Memphis City Council Votes to Dig Up Grave of Confederate General, Sell His Statue

snippet:
Some believe the Memphis City Council vote is another example of the anti-Confederacy hysteria that swept parts of the country after a photo surfaced of alleged Charleston gunman Dylann Roof posing with a Confederate flag. But city council member Janis Fullilove asked if the move has something to do with a rumored “$500 million [University of Tennessee] expansion” that would use the land where Forrest is currently buried.

all of it here:
Memphis to Exhume Confederate Gen. Nathan Bedford Forrest

I noticed Breibart left out the part where Forrest was one of the founding members of the Ku Klux Klan.

Talk about "Cleansing' history.

I didn't know all that. I still think this piece of history could be used as an "example" of how not to be though and be used for teaching kids, rather than digging up historical graves of people you don't like or don't agree with. He's dead now and has been for quite a looooong time.

as stated earlier, Forrest's corpse was already moved once when they took him out of his original grave 30 years after his death and put him in the one he resides in now with an equestrian statue on top of it. so they had no problem digging him up when they wanted to use him as a symbol of Historical White-washing.

It was a big old thumb in the eye to those darkies thinking they could vote or ride at the front of the bus.

So today we are actually having a conversation that the Civil War and the Klan were bad things (really, it took us 150 years to figure that out) and maybe a guy who had a key role in both really doesn't deserve a monument.

He was dug up from his resting place in a Cemetery and moved to a more public place for a political agenda. It seemed to be OK when it was done at that time. So why is it so horrible that the current citizens of that community have rejected that old agenda and want to distance themselves from it? For goodness sake, the city wants to remove a monument to a guy who murdered unarmed US military POW's and founded a terrorist organization that dragged innocent men out of their homes and hanged them in front of their families. The tomb and memorial is a disgrace and should have never been placed where it is. Even his defenders admit to his crimes.

as stated earlier, Forrest's corpse was already moved once when they took him out of his original grave 30 years after his death and put him in the one he resides in now with an equestrian statue on top of it. so they had no problem digging him up when they wanted to use him as a symbol of Historical White-washing.

It was a big old thumb in the eye to those darkies thinking they could vote or ride at the front of the bus.

So today we are actually having a conversation that the Civil War and the Klan were bad things (really, it took us 150 years to figure that out) and maybe a guy who had a key role in both really doesn't deserve a monument.

I agree that he doesn't deserve a monument or to be "honored," but I do think that digging up dead bodies is taking things a bit too far. Take down the statue, don't disturb the grave.

He was dug up from his resting place in a Cemetery and moved to a more public place for a political agenda. It seemed to be OK when it was done at that time. So why is it so horrible that the current citizens of that community have rejected that old agenda and want to distance themselves from it? For goodness sake, the city wants to remove a monument to a guy who murdered unarmed US military POW's and founded a terrorist organization that dragged innocent men out of their homes and hanged them in front of their families. The tomb and memorial is a disgrace and should have never been placed where it is. Even his defenders admit to his crimes.

So, then take down the monuments. I see no reason to start digging up dead people that you don't like.

These people in favor of this stuff is no BETTER than Isis, Al Qaeda, etc

they go around BLOWING up monuments and sacred things to the people

WAKE UP FOLKS

Forum List

Back