LA City Council votes to place proposal that would give empty hotel rooms to homeless on 2024 ballot

1srelluc

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2021
Shenandoah Valley of Virginia
The Los Angeles City Council on Friday voted unanimously to place an ordinance that would house homeless people in hotels alongside guests on the March 2024 ballot rather than adopt it immediately.

Under the initiative, hotels in L.A. would be required to notify the city -- every day by 2 p.m. -- how many empty rooms they have for the night.

According to the measure, "Each hotel shall communicate to the Department or its designee, in a form that the Department prescribes, by 2 p.m. each day the number of available rooms at the hotel for that night."

"It’s crazy," said Ray Patel, the president of the Northeast Los Angeles Hotel Owners Association.

Patel said members of the association are worried.

"I can't screen who ends up in my hotel rooms?" he said. "How do I protect my other customers and my staff?"

LA City Council votes to place proposal that would give empty hotel rooms to homeless on 2024 ballot

6ng3vc.jpg

LOL....Your move NYC.

There are SOOOOOO MANY THOUSANDS of empty buildings there, WHY can't they just set up these empty buildings like the old YMCA's????

Make cubiles with single cots in them. Have restooms available, and have a laundry area available.
All open, so nobody is hiding something not everyone can see.

Hire two security guards with psychology degrees, so they know how to handle the homeless.

There are SOOOOOO MANY THOUSANDS of empty buildings there, WHY can't they just set up these empty buildings like the old YMCA's????

Make cubiles with single cots in them. Have restooms available, and have a laundry area available.
All open, so nobody is hiding something not everyone can see.

Hire two security guards with psychology degrees, so they know how to handle the homeless.
It never works....They tried that in a small city near my AO with a old hotel and the "residents" fucked it up so badly (numerous fires) they ended-up tearing it down.

Is that even legal? How can a city council forcibly appropriate private property?

If it's open to the public, it's not really a private property.

City government can ostensibly do as they please, as long as what they do is under some form of emergency situation. Regardless of whether it's emergency or not.

Personally, I don't see what one night in a hotel room is going to do to make a homeless persons life better.
If anything, it would make them more depressed and anxiety ridden. Like a huge kick in the crotch with steel tipped boots.

It never works....They tried that in a small city near my AO with a old hotel and the "residents" fucked it up so badly (numerous fires) they ended-up tearing it down.

Well, thats why they would need security guards. Also work as managers and counselors.

If they were organized and used their brains to figure this shit out FIRST, then it wouldn't be such a difficult thing to do.

The Los Angeles City Council on Friday voted unanimously to place an ordinance that would house homeless people in hotels alongside guests on the March 2024 ballot rather than adopt it immediately.

Under the initiative, hotels in L.A. would be required to notify the city -- every day by 2 p.m. -- how many empty rooms they have for the night.

According to the measure, "Each hotel shall communicate to the Department or its designee, in a form that the Department prescribes, by 2 p.m. each day the number of available rooms at the hotel for that night."

"It’s crazy," said Ray Patel, the president of the Northeast Los Angeles Hotel Owners Association.

Patel said members of the association are worried.

"I can't screen who ends up in my hotel rooms?" he said. "How do I protect my other customers and my staff?"

6ng3vc.jpg

LOL....Your move NYC.
Great idea. If the hotel has an empty room, give it to a bum and charge the city whatever the negotiated rate is.

This would give bums a chance to shower and clean themselves up before a job interview.

Smart

Great idea. If the hotel has an empty room, give it to a bum and charge the city whatever the negotiated rate is.

This would give bums a chance to shower and clean themselves up before a job interview.

Smart

What makes you think that bums want job interviews? I think they are more interested in the spare change of rich people.

Well did not see anything saying the city would be paying for the rooms nor that they would pay for any lost revenue or damages to property. Can only imagine the cost to pay for a number of hotel rooms for one night.
Imagine paying for property damage. How many people you are going to loose because they do not want to pay for a room next to a homeless person. How much staff you are going to go through if any of the rooms are trashed.

They had two full-time cops assigned there.

It was about like "The Carter" in New Jack City.

Two cops would have been fine for the security part, but they would have also needed human management and a counselor to help with those that need speaking to in a certain way to get them to understand. I would estimate 5 total "managers" for every 50 homeless.

Otherwise it would just be a human zoo enclosure.

What makes you think that bums want job interviews? I think they are more interested in the spare change of rich people.

A LOT of these homeless are homeless because of Obozo.
They lost their businesses and jobs.

I'm sure many of them would appreciate the opportunity to get cleaned up and settled long enough to go job hunting and find something.

Well did not see anything saying the city would be paying for the rooms nor that they would pay for any lost revenue or damages to property. Can only imagine the cost to pay for a number of hotel rooms for one night.
Imagine paying for property damage. How many people you are going to loose because they do not want to pay for a room next to a homeless person. How much staff you are going to go through if any of the rooms are trashed.

Yeah, I see LOTS of lawsuits coming to the city soon.

You don’t know or care who’s next to you at a motel or hotel now.

I would first demand they get a free id. Have to have identification. You need it for a job interview so if you are serious you’ll have I’d. No guests. And you can be banned. And yes the city should be responsible. If they do it right it’s a great idea even the hotel benefits.

Forum List

Back