Memorial Day Movies

It's that time again, Memorial Day Weekend and with it comes the war movies: Here is a list I saw of a few you might find interesting, not complete. If you see others that look good or have comments on these post them.
Netflix
Apocalypse Now
Lincoln
Doctor Zivago
War Horse

Amazon Plus
Band of Brothers
Saving Private Ryan

Cable
Sands of Iwo Jima (Sundance Sat)
Memphis Bell (Sundance Sat and Sun)
From Here to Eternity (TCM Sun)
Young Lions (TCM Monday)
Glory (TCM Monday)
Bridge on the River Kwai (TCM Mon)
Schinder's List (Sundance Mon)
Heartbreak Ridge (Sundance Mon)
.....From Here to Eternity is more soap opera stuff....I just watched it yesterday ....I used to watch it when I was young......then I got stationed on Oahu and got to visit Schofield
...the book is humongous
....I have the Bridge on the River Kwai DVD...we had to read that in high school.....
HeartBreak Ridge is terrible
Young Lions has Montgomery Clift as did FHT Eternity ....he has similar roles in both
Didn't like Here to Eternity that much. It was well made move good acting but the story didn't interest me.

I would like to see Midway again. It's been many years since I saw it. I've read quite a bit about it.
They are currently remaking Midway, can’t wait.
hopefully it will not be anything like Pearl Harbor

It's that time again, Memorial Day Weekend and with it comes the war movies: Here is a list I saw of a few you might find interesting, not complete. If you see others that look good or have comments on these post them.
Netflix
Apocalypse Now
Lincoln
Doctor Zivago
War Horse

Amazon Plus
Band of Brothers
Saving Private Ryan

Cable
Young Lions (TCM Monday)
Glory (TCM Monday)

I just got done watching Battle of the Bulge again with Henry Fonda on Dish. The Sands of Iwo Jima is on now.

It's important for folks to remember what Memorial Day is really for. The many lives that have been laid down, blood shed and personal sacrifices made for our country and the freedoms we all enjoy today. It's not just a day for goofing off and cookouts so please try to remember those who gave their all so you can eat barbeque and drink beer. Maybe even toast a few of them if you knew any.
The Battle of the Bulge lasted about 5 weeks. There were 75,000 US casualties and over 20,000 US soldiers died. That's works out to about to 600 a day in that one battle. It was a huge sacrifice not just for our fighting men but their families back home. Gold star service flags for the fallen were in windows in very city, town, village, and community in the country. Few people today realize the sacrifices that we made in that war.

Battle of the Bulge was a waste of film.

"This film was denounced by former President (and Supreme Allied Commander in Europe during WW2) Dwight D. Eisenhower soon after its release in a press conference due to its glaring historical inaccuracies."

Battle of the Bulge (1965) - Trivia - IMDb
Hollywood must always change historical facts because things like the Battle of the Bulge had very few interesting events occur to keep the audience interested.

Netflix
Apocalypse Now
Lincoln
Doctor Zivago
War Horse

Amazon Plus
Band of Brothers
Saving Private Ryan

Cable
Young Lions (TCM Monday)
Glory (TCM Monday)

I just got done watching Battle of the Bulge again with Henry Fonda on Dish. The Sands of Iwo Jima is on now.

It's important for folks to remember what Memorial Day is really for. The many lives that have been laid down, blood shed and personal sacrifices made for our country and the freedoms we all enjoy today. It's not just a day for goofing off and cookouts so please try to remember those who gave their all so you can eat barbeque and drink beer. Maybe even toast a few of them if you knew any.
The Battle of the Bulge lasted about 5 weeks. There were 75,000 US casualties and over 20,000 US soldiers died. That's works out to about to 600 a day in that one battle. It was a huge sacrifice not just for our fighting men but their families back home. Gold star service flags for the fallen were in windows in very city, town, village, and community in the country. Few people today realize the sacrifices that we made in that war.

"This film was denounced by former President (and Supreme Allied Commander in Europe during WW2) Dwight D. Eisenhower soon after its release in a press conference due to its glaring historical inaccuracies."

Hollywood must always change historical facts because things like the Battle of the Bulge had very few interesting events occur to keep the audience interested.

Actually, no. They just choose to lie to make more money at the box office when the truth would be just as if not more interesting.

Netflix
Apocalypse Now
Lincoln
Doctor Zivago
War Horse

Amazon Plus
Band of Brothers
Saving Private Ryan

Cable
Young Lions (TCM Monday)
Glory (TCM Monday)
.....From Here to Eternity is more soap opera stuff....I just watched it yesterday ....I used to watch it when I was young......then I got stationed on Oahu and got to visit Schofield
...the book is humongous
....I have the Bridge on the River Kwai DVD...we had to read that in high school.....
Young Lions has Montgomery Clift as did FHT Eternity ....he has similar roles in both
Didn't like Here to Eternity that much. It was well made move good acting but the story didn't interest me.

I would like to see Midway again. It's been many years since I saw it. I've read quite a bit about it.

That's a good idea. Heston's roll and the bit about his weenie son and his Jap girlfriend was a complete waste of time and film and ruined the movie. It should have hit the cutting room floor. Hollywood ruins most of the crap they turn out these days with all of their bleeding heart bullshit. Thanks to the FF button, I can edit the crap out.

Netflix
Apocalypse Now
Lincoln
Doctor Zivago
War Horse

Amazon Plus
Band of Brothers
Saving Private Ryan

Cable
Young Lions (TCM Monday)
Glory (TCM Monday)

I though Battleground was far more entertaining. I don't know anything about the accuracy of either film.

Netflix
Apocalypse Now
Lincoln
Doctor Zivago
War Horse

Amazon Plus
Band of Brothers
Saving Private Ryan

Cable
Young Lions (TCM Monday)
Glory (TCM Monday)
...the book is humongous

That's a good idea. Heston's roll and the bit about his weenie son and his Jap girlfriend was a complete waste of time and film and ruined the movie. It should have hit the cutting room floor. Hollywood ruins most of the crap they turn out these days with all of their bleeding heart bullshit. Thanks to the FF button, I can edit the crap out.

I forget! What kind of roll was it? Onion roll - Cinnamon roll - Crescent roll - Dinner roll?

Netflix
Apocalypse Now
Lincoln
Doctor Zivago
War Horse

Amazon Plus
Band of Brothers
Saving Private Ryan

Cable
Young Lions (TCM Monday)
Glory (TCM Monday)

I though Battleground was far more entertaining. I don't know anything about the accuracy of either film.
....Battleground is good because it's about a small unit, which is much easier to ''bring to life'' than a big epic
....A Bridge Too Far is ok, but not as entertaining as the small unit films
..I'm watching Bridge On the River Kwai now...it won 7 Academy Awards including Best Picture .....actually/obviously the conditions working for the Japanese were much worse than the film portrays

It figures no Patton

I've got it along with most of the others stored on my DVR. I watch them often. It's my way of escaping all the endless advertising crap they air these days. I've got all of the great ones and then some.
I have a bunch on DVD
Patton--good but not great
None But the Brave--small unit from the Japanese and US side --non-believable though
Dirty Dozen--fun
Kelly's Heroes = great one for the comedy.etc--my favorite line from Don Rickles '''what's in it for me??'''
Bridge On the River Kwai--7 Academy Awards--great
Von Ryan's Express--good action/train action
Guns of Navarone...very good ..I like Gregory Peck/Anthony Quinn and David Niven who was in the commandos WW2 !

Netflix
Apocalypse Now
Lincoln
Doctor Zivago
War Horse

Amazon Plus
Band of Brothers
Saving Private Ryan

Cable
Young Lions (TCM Monday)
Glory (TCM Monday)

Actually, no. They just choose to lie to make more money at the box office when the truth would be just as if not more interesting.
Movies based on historical events are still works of fiction, often based very loosely on facts so I never judge them on their accuracy but their entertainment value. They are created to entertain. Warner Brothers registered the movie as a work of fiction. There're some good documentaries on WWII that stick pretty closely to facts which I expect to be accurate.

Last edited:
It figures no Patton

I've got it along with most of the others stored on my DVR. I watch them often. It's my way of escaping all the endless advertising crap they air these days. I've got all of the great ones and then some.
I have a bunch on DVD
None But the Brave--small unit from the Japanese and US side --non-believable though
Dirty Dozen--fun
Kelly's Heroes = great one for the comedy.etc--my favorite line from Don Rickles '''what's in it for me??'''
Guns of Navarone...very good ..I like Gregory Peck/Anthony Quinn and David Niven who was in the commandos WW2 !
I thought Patton Von Ryan's Express and Guns of Navarone were good movies, very entertaining.

Another good movie, you don't hear much about is Das Boot. It's a German film made in 1981 and later made into a miniseries about German U-boat U-96 and its crew, as they set out on a hazardous patrol in the Battle of the Atlantic. It depicts both the excitement of battle and the tedium of the fruitless hunt, and shows the men serving aboard U-boats as ordinary individuals with a desire to do their best for their comrades and their country. The English subtitled version which is the directors cut and is much better than the English dubbed version. Rotten Tomatoes gave it a 100% rating.

It figures no Patton

I have a bunch on DVD
Dirty Dozen--fun
I thought Patton Von Ryan's Express and Guns of Navarone were good movies, very entertaining.

Another good movie, you don't hear much about is Das Boot. It's a German film made in 1981 and later made into a miniseries about German U-boat U-96 and its crew, as they set out on a hazardous patrol in the Battle of the Atlantic. It depicts both the excitement of battle and the tedium of the fruitless hunt, and shows the men serving aboard U-boats as ordinary individuals with a desire to do their best for their comrades and their country. The English subtitled version which is the directors cut and is much better than the English dubbed version. Rotten Tomatoes gave it a 100% rating.
.....I've never seen Das Boot...I take it most of the movie takes place inside the U-Boat?---those types of movies are good where it takes acting/dialogue/etc to keep the audience entertained and not just action

It figures no Patton

I have a bunch on DVD
Dirty Dozen--fun

.....I've never seen Das Boot...I take it most of the movie takes place inside the U-Boat?---those types of movies are good where it takes acting/dialogue/etc to keep the audience entertained and not just action
Kind of boring - like submarine warfare is. 99% boring, 1% sheer terror.

......Beachhead with Tony Curtis has some great scenery but also one of the funniest scenes where a Marine gets on top of a Japanese tank and wants to throw a grenade inside......but then 2 hands slowly reach up and pulls him inside ----like a B horror movie ...
as usual, there's a female involved
s-l300.jpg

It figures no Patton

I have a bunch on DVD
Dirty Dozen--fun

Enemy Below with Robert Mitchum is one of the best
I guess in Deutschland it was called this:
59PR8tGdEbPhU53pVMHtmaJhXWSAIh7HUKWVSuxpJ-3irkCoHhb7ZTTn3noDt0CxKHiRAJ-ByKVl0B2bJvBmHDtQnuCHNfW_AD-L4aa7FX0.jpg

I have a bunch on DVD
Dirty Dozen--fun

Enemy Below with Robert Mitchum is one of the best
I guess in Deutschland it was called this:
59PR8tGdEbPhU53pVMHtmaJhXWSAIh7HUKWVSuxpJ-3irkCoHhb7ZTTn3noDt0CxKHiRAJ-ByKVl0B2bJvBmHDtQnuCHNfW_AD-L4aa7FX0.jpg
Excellent film!

Forum List

Back