Memorial Day Movies

Flopper

Diamond Member
Mar 23, 2010
Washington
It's that time again, Memorial Day Weekend and with it comes the war movies: Here is a list I saw of a few you might find interesting, not complete. If you see others that look good or have comments on these post them.
Netflix
Apocalypse Now
Lincoln
Doctor Zivago
War Horse

Amazon Plus
Band of Brothers
Saving Private Ryan

Cable
Sands of Iwo Jima (Sundance Sat)
Memphis Bell (Sundance Sat and Sun)
From Here to Eternity (TCM Sun)
Young Lions (TCM Monday)
Glory (TCM Monday)
Bridge on the River Kwai (TCM Mon)
Schinder's List (Sundance Mon)
Heartbreak Ridge (Sundance Mon)

It's that time again, Memorial Day Weekend and with it comes the war movies: Here is a list I saw of a few you might find interesting, not complete. If you see others that look good or have comments on these post them.
Netflix
Apocalypse Now
Lincoln
Doctor Zivago
War Horse

Amazon Plus
Band of Brothers
Saving Private Ryan

Cable
Young Lions (TCM Monday)
Glory (TCM Monday)

I just got done watching Battle of the Bulge again with Henry Fonda on Dish. The Sands of Iwo Jima is on now.

It's important for folks to remember what Memorial Day is really for. The many lives that have been laid down, blood shed and personal sacrifices made for our country and the freedoms we all enjoy today. It's not just a day for goofing off and cookouts so please try to remember those who gave their all so you can eat barbeque and drink beer. Maybe even toast a few of them if you knew any.

Netflix
Apocalypse Now
Lincoln
Doctor Zivago
War Horse

Amazon Plus
Band of Brothers
Saving Private Ryan

Cable
Young Lions (TCM Monday)
Glory (TCM Monday)
.....From Here to Eternity is more soap opera stuff....I just watched it yesterday ....I used to watch it when I was young......then I got stationed on Oahu and got to visit Schofield
...the book is humongous
....I have the Bridge on the River Kwai DVD...we had to read that in high school.....
HeartBreak Ridge is terrible
Young Lions has Montgomery Clift as did FHT Eternity ....he has similar roles in both

Netflix
Apocalypse Now
Lincoln
Doctor Zivago
War Horse

Amazon Plus
Band of Brothers
Saving Private Ryan

Cable
Young Lions (TCM Monday)
Glory (TCM Monday)

I just got done watching Battle of the Bulge again with Henry Fonda on Dish. The Sands of Iwo Jima is on now.

It's important for folks to remember what Memorial Day is really for. The many lives that have been laid down, blood shed and personal sacrifices made for our country and the freedoms we all enjoy today. It's not just a day for goofing off and cookouts so please try to remember those who gave their all so you can eat barbeque and drink beer. Maybe even toast a few of them if you knew any.
Memorialday.jpg

Netflix
Apocalypse Now
Lincoln
Doctor Zivago
War Horse

Amazon Plus
Band of Brothers
Saving Private Ryan

Cable
Young Lions (TCM Monday)
Glory (TCM Monday)
The Pacific is playing on Amazon Prime.

Knew a Sgt who was there from Guadalcanal until the end.

Netflix
Apocalypse Now
Lincoln
Doctor Zivago
War Horse

Amazon Plus
Band of Brothers
Saving Private Ryan

Cable
Young Lions (TCM Monday)
Glory (TCM Monday)

The Battle of the Bulge lasted about 5 weeks. There were 75,000 US casualties and over 20,000 US soldiers died. That's works out to about to 600 a day in that one battle. It was a huge sacrifice not just for our fighting men but their families back home. Gold star service flags for the fallen were in windows in very city, town, village, and community in the country. Few people today realize the sacrifices that we made in that war.

Netflix
Apocalypse Now
Lincoln
Doctor Zivago
War Horse

Amazon Plus
Band of Brothers
Saving Private Ryan

Cable
Young Lions (TCM Monday)
Glory (TCM Monday)

Didn't see that one. Wasn't it a miniseries?

Netflix
Apocalypse Now
Lincoln
Doctor Zivago
War Horse

Amazon Plus
Band of Brothers
Saving Private Ryan

Cable
Young Lions (TCM Monday)
Glory (TCM Monday)
.....From Here to Eternity is more soap opera stuff....I just watched it yesterday ....I used to watch it when I was young......then I got stationed on Oahu and got to visit Schofield
...the book is humongous
....I have the Bridge on the River Kwai DVD...we had to read that in high school.....
Young Lions has Montgomery Clift as did FHT Eternity ....he has similar roles in both
Didn't like Here to Eternity that much. It was well made move good acting but the story didn't interest me.

I would like to see Midway again. It's been many years since I saw it. I've read quite a bit about it.

Netflix
Apocalypse Now
Lincoln
Doctor Zivago
War Horse

Amazon Plus
Band of Brothers
Saving Private Ryan

Cable
Young Lions (TCM Monday)
Glory (TCM Monday)

Didn't see that one. Wasn't it a miniseries?
It’s the Pacific version of Band of Brothers.

Netflix
Apocalypse Now
Lincoln
Doctor Zivago
War Horse

Amazon Plus
Band of Brothers
Saving Private Ryan

Cable
Young Lions (TCM Monday)
Glory (TCM Monday)
...the book is humongous
Didn't like Here to Eternity that much. It was well made move good acting but the story didn't interest me.

I would like to see Midway again. It's been many years since I saw it. I've read quite a bit about it.
They are currently remaking Midway, can’t wait.

Netflix
Apocalypse Now
Lincoln
Doctor Zivago
War Horse

Amazon Plus
Band of Brothers
Saving Private Ryan

Cable
Young Lions (TCM Monday)
Glory (TCM Monday)
...the book is humongous

They are currently remaking Midway, can’t wait.
Good news, thanks!

Hope it’s more historically true and not Hollyweirded into a Titanic/Pearl Harbor version revolving around some damn love story while all hell is going on about. The battle of Midway was the beginning of the bloody end for the Japs, an asskicking with the makings of a great movie if the right folks are involved.

Netflix
Apocalypse Now
Lincoln
Doctor Zivago
War Horse

Amazon Plus
Band of Brothers
Saving Private Ryan

Cable
Young Lions (TCM Monday)
Glory (TCM Monday)

The Battle of the Bulge lasted about 5 weeks. There were 75,000 US casualties and over 20,000 US soldiers died. That's works out to about to 600 a day in that one battle. It was a huge sacrifice not just for our fighting men but their families back home. Gold star service flags for the fallen were in windows in very city, town, village, and community in the country. Few people today realize the sacrifices that we made in that war.

Battle of the Bulge was a waste of film.

"This film was denounced by former President (and Supreme Allied Commander in Europe during WW2) Dwight D. Eisenhower soon after its release in a press conference due to its glaring historical inaccuracies."

Battle of the Bulge (1965) - Trivia - IMDb

Forum List

Back