Massachusetts same-sex marriage pioneers split up

Status
Not open for further replies.
More good news, and it is from a blue state...............

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory?id=2238982

Washington state court upholds gay marriage ban

Jul 26, 2006 — By Daisuke Wakabayashi

SEATTLE (Reuters) - Washington state's highest court upheld a ban on same-sex marriage on Wednesday, ruling by a 5-4 majority that the legislature had the power to limit marriage to one man and one woman.

Nineteen gay and lesbian couples had challenged the constitutionality of the Defense of Marriage Act, a law passed by the state legislature in 1998 to restrict marriage to heterosexual couples.

The state Supreme Court's lead opinion stressed it was ruling on the constitutionality of the law, not on the issue of gay marriage itself. It saw no reason why the rights of marriage should not be extended for gays and lesbians through a state ballot.

"It is important to note that the court's role is limited to determining the constitutionality of DOMA," Justice Barbara Madsen wrote. "Our decision is not based on an independent determination of what we believe the law should be."

The court's ruling was the latest blow to U.S. gay marriage advocates. Earlier this month, New York's highest court ruled that the state Constitution does not guarantee same-sex couples equal access to the rights and privileges of marriage.

The Georgia Supreme Court on July 6 reinstated a gay marriage ban that had been thrown out by a lower court. Voters in Alabama also approved a constitutional amendment banning same-sex marriage.

LEGAL IN MASSACHUSETTS

Gay rights advocates had hoped that Washington would have been the second U.S. state after Massachusetts to legalize same-sex marriage.

"A defeat like today is immensely disappointing," said Jennifer Pizer, senior legal counsel for gay rights group Lambda Legal. "We learn from history that social change takes time … and public support has been growing quite quickly."

Nancy Sigafoos arrived at the Washington Supreme Court building in Olympia with her partner Tina Witcher-Sigafoos and their daughter, Harper, hoping to be among the first homosexual couples to marry legally, but the pair left upset.

"I feel really angry. I've been in a relationship for 14 years. I have a child with my partner. I'm struggling not to use any expletives right now," Sigafoos said.

In 2003, Massachusetts' Supreme Judicial Court ruled in favor of gay marriage, leading to America's first same-sex marriages the following year. The U.S. Supreme Court has not taken a case on gay marriage, leaving states to decide the issue.

Opponents of gay marriage cheered the Washington ruling.

"It's an important development in this area," said Monte Stewart, president of the Marriage Law Foundation, noting that there have been a string of legal victories for limiting marriage to heterosexuals over the last few weeks.

Marriage between same-sex couples is currently legal in Canada, Belgium, the Netherlands and Spain. It will be legalized in South Africa before the end of the year.

rtwngAvngr said:
Rectal leakage is not the right kind of juice, buddy boy.

Would you like to go again RWA? I've an itchy trigger finger today.....or dbetter put does the deal with Jimmy you made mean nothing?

OCA said:
It does burn you guys up, lol I love it.......its like i'm at the zoo and the monkeys are begging for peanuts lol.

No, it's more like the ijit who thinks he's cool and everybody is sniggering behind his back. Let's see, you banned RWA for a month, Jim reduced it to three days. Yeah, your influence is huge....;)

Dr Grump said:
Grow a spine OCA...take it on the chin and move on...

Grump you have no knowledge of any history here at USMB, your buddy RWA is the biggest flamer and worst debater here, he has made a career out of personal insults to others families, he is a detriment to the board which is a business to the owner.

OCA said:
Grump you have no knowledge of any history here at USMB, your buddy RWA is the biggest flamer and worst debater here, he has made a career out of personal insults to others families, he is a detriment to the board which is a business to the owner.

O, blow it out yer cheez hole.

jillian said:
I thought you could separate your "moderator" self from your "poster" self.

OCA is trying to enforce the rules - no personal insults and personal attacks

Something liberals cannot resist duirng a debate

I would like to get back on topic - gay marrage did suffer ANOTHER defeat in Washington state today.

red states rule said:

I would like to get back on topic - gay marrage did suffer ANOTHER defeat in Washington state today.

That's hysterical coming from you. :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

And I, for one, could care less what YOU want. :dev3:

jillian said:
That's hysterical coming from you. :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

And I, for one, could care less what YOU want. :dev3:

Yes, Jilly why debate the issue at hand when it so much easier to duck and dodge by throwing your bombs

red states rule said:

Are you tripping? he's the biggest bully on here. :rotflmao:

red states rule said:
Yes, Jilly why debate the issue at hand when it so much easier to duck and dodge by throwing your bombs

You're not grown up enough yet to debate, widdle one.

And from the biggest widdle troll on the board, it's still cracking me up.

jillian said:
You're not grown up enough yet to debate, widdle one.

And from the biggest widdle troll on the board, it's still cracking me up.

The yellow streak running down your back is showing Jilly

rtwngAvngr said:
Are you tripping? he's the biggest bully on here. :rotflmao:

NO you are. You remind me of another kook on another borard who goes by winfield777. Like you, he cannot go 3 posts without personal attacks, and insults.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back