Mass Psychosis in the US

An unprecedented 1 in 66 Americans is a diagnosed psychotic | The Raw Story

"[T]he tally of those who are so disabled by mental disorders that they qualify for Supplemental Security Income (SSI) or Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) increased nearly two and a half times between 1987 and 2007 - from one in 184 Americans to one in seventy-six. For children, the rise is even more startling - a thirty-five-fold increase in the same two decades. Mental illness is now the leading cause of disability in children." Under the tutelage of Big Pharma, we are "simply expanding the criteria for mental illness so that nearly everyone has one." Fugh-Berman agrees: In the age of aggressive drug marketing, she says, "Psychiatric diagnoses have expanded to include many perfectly normal people."[/SIZE]

Mass Psychosis in the US

Has America become a nation of psychotics? You would certainly think so, based on the explosion in the use of antipsychotic medications. In 2008, with over $14 billion in sales, antipsychotics became the single top-selling therapeutic class of prescription drugs in the United States, surpassing drugs used to treat high cholesterol and acid reflux.

I wanna jump but I'm afraid I'll fall
I wanna holler but the joint's too small
Pharamcabal's got a hold of me too
I got the rockin' delusion and the pill poppin' flu

Want some lovin' doc and that ain't all
I wanna 'scprit for a pharma 8 ball
Shill Daignostic's gonna get me my due

Wanna psychosis i'm way too slow
A thought disorder for that drugstore blow
Insurance dude says he's gonna come through

Some would suggest it is more than economically induced.

Riots, wild markets: Did space storms drive us mad? -- Fire in the Sky -- Sott.net

Really.... It makes more sense than a lot of other theories...

Also... It is well known that some doctors will prescribe anti-psychotic drugs for things other than psychosis... But then I suppose that those other things are also symptoms of psychosis or increase the risks of developing further levels of psychosis than the 'normal' human mind already has.

One of the biggest flaws within our society is the massive ignorance we have toward the human psyche. :(

In the state of WV treatment for mental illness is free. If you want to quit work and sign up for SSI or SSDI then mental illness is the easiest and most effective way to win it.

Everyone I know that gets a check had monthly appointments with a psychiatirist right up until they are awarded their disability.

Go fiqure.

The drugs are called "anti-psychotics" because that's what they were originally developed to do. Just like "anti-depressants" were originally designed for that, but now we know they have good effects against anxiety. We know now that "anti-psychotic" drugs are good for major depression refractory to typical antidepressants. "Abilify" is aripiprazole and is good for major depressive disorder that is refractory to SSRIs. Electroconvulsant Treatment also is effective for people who are majorly depressed and can't find relief with pharmaceuticals. (It is highly effective, and patients have to request it and it's administered under general anesthesia).

It all makes sense, since (despite what Scientology would have you believe), psych diagnosis are caused by chemical imbalences in the brain. All psych drugs modify those.

True psychosis is found in schizophrenia and bipolar disorder and a few more. The incidence of these pathologies remains stable. So the increase in "antipsychotic" use is for off label indications. The major question is this: if patients find benefit from the drugs, then what is the real problem?

In the state of WV treatment for mental illness is free. If you want to quit work and sign up for SSI or SSDI then mental illness is the easiest and most effective way to win it.

Everyone I know that gets a check had monthly appointments with a psychiatirist right up until they are awarded their disability.

Go fiqure.

Free?!? Go back and count your sticks! :evil:

:eusa_whistle:

The new definition comes as the American Psychiatric Association (APA) is undertaking a highly publicized, decade-in-the-making revision of its own definition of addiction in its Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders—the bible of the mental health profession. The APA’s DSM will have a larger effect on public health policies that guide addiction treatment, largely because insurance companies are mandated by law to use the DSM diagnostic categories and criteria to decide which treatments they will pay for.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

The statement attempts to put forth diagnostic hallmarks, all of which are behavioral: inability to abstain; impaired impulse control; cravings; diminished grasp of one’s problems; and problematic emotional responses.

Is it a problem that the definition is incapable of pointing to a quantifiable diagnostic marker of this illness? “I may be stating the obvious, here,” Publicker says, sighing, “but you don’t need to do brain imaging to identify an active alcoholic.”

A Radical New Definition of Addiction Creates a Big Storm | Drugs | AlterNet

The new definition comes as the American Psychiatric Association (APA) is undertaking a highly publicized, decade-in-the-making revision of its own definition of addiction in its Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders—the bible of the mental health profession. The APA’s DSM will have a larger effect on public health policies that guide addiction treatment, largely because insurance companies are mandated by law to use the DSM diagnostic categories and criteria to decide which treatments they will pay for.

The statement attempts to put forth diagnostic hallmarks, all of which are behavioral: inability to abstain; impaired impulse control; cravings; diminished grasp of one’s problems; and problematic emotional responses.

Is it a problem that the definition is incapable of pointing to a quantifiable diagnostic marker of this illness? “I may be stating the obvious, here,” Publicker says, sighing, “but you don’t need to do brain imaging to identify an active alcoholic.”

Oh.... The oft lamented cry of the haters of psychiatry. "There are no tests to diagnose psychiatric conditions!"

It's true that psychiatry is 100% clinical diagnosis. There isn't a sufficient test to diagnose the most discrete of psychiatric conditions, schizophrenia.

As if that means much. Clinical diagnosis is hardly limited to psychiatry. Tetanus and Alzheimers are also clinical diagnosis.

The major limitation to psychiatric conditions is that it's not exactly ethical to start biopsying the brains of living or dead psychotic patients who most likely can't legitimately give consent.

Oh.... The oft lamented cry of the haters of psychiatry. "There are no tests to diagnose psychiatric conditions!"

It's true that psychiatry is 100% clinical diagnosis. There isn't a sufficient test to diagnose the most discrete of psychiatric conditions, schizophrenia.

As if that means much. Clinical diagnosis is hardly limited to psychiatry. Tetanus and Alzheimers are also clinical diagnosis.

The major limitation to psychiatric conditions is that it's not exactly ethical to start biopsying the brains of living or dead psychotic patients who most likely can't legitimately give consent.

translation: moving goal posts don't affect my stance..........

which might be best desribed as>

No laboratory analysis, brain scan or competency test is needed - just
pencil, paper and subjective opinion.

There is no need to examine the child's life in context as it relates to
the breakdown of family and the educational system, appalling nutrition
or inadequate parenting. They are just given a label and the parents and
teachers are off the hook.

The child has a brain disorder. Right?

Wrong!
Our own government has issued statements regarding the epidemic
of this Designer Disease:

"We acknowledge that the condition currently known as ADHD has been
historically controversial and that as yet no distinct patho-physiology
for the disorder has been delineated"
-Paul Leber, M.D. of the FDA during Congressional Testimony

"We are also unaware that ADHD has ever been validated as a
biologic/organic syndrome or disease".
- Gene Haislipp M.D. of the FDA during Congressional Testimony

"We do not have an independent valid test for ADHD, and there are no
data to indicate that ADHD is due to a brain malfunction. Further research to
establish the validity of the disorder continues to be a problem".
- National Institute of Health

The International Narcotics Control Board agency of the World Health
organization charged that "10 - 12% of all boys between the ages of 6
-14 in the U. S. have been diagnosed as having ADD and are being treated
with Methylphenidate."

School-aged children can recite the DARE catechism by heart while
walking down the hall to get their own personal dose of kiddy cocaine

http://www.review-mag.com/archive/550-559/554/Nritalin.htm
~S~

http://www.review-mag.com/archive/550-559/554/Nritalin.htm

Last edited:

"[T]he tally of those who are so disabled by mental disorders that they qualify for Supplemental Security Income (SSI) or Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) increased nearly two and a half times between 1987 and 2007 - from one in 184 Americans to one in seventy-six. For children, the rise is even more startling - a thirty-five-fold increase in the same two decades. Mental illness is now the leading cause of disability in children." Under the tutelage of Big Pharma, we are "simply expanding the criteria for mental illness so that nearly everyone has one." Fugh-Berman agrees: In the age of aggressive drug marketing, she says, "Psychiatric diagnoses have expanded to include many perfectly normal people."[/SIZE]

Mass Psychosis in the US

Has America become a nation of psychotics? You would certainly think so, based on the explosion in the use of antipsychotic medications. In 2008, with over $14 billion in sales, antipsychotics became the single top-selling therapeutic class of prescription drugs in the United States, surpassing drugs used to treat high cholesterol and acid reflux.

obama-hope-feathers.jpg

I doubt if there was any indication of psychosis in Stalinist Russia or Mao's revolutionary China. Freedom is a wonderful thing. Welcome to the real world sparky and quit whining about it.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lq6GB48IpA&feature=player_detailpage]Oxy Cotton W/ Lyrics - YouTube[/ame]

The drugs are called "anti-psychotics" because that's what they were originally developed to do. Just like "anti-depressants" were originally designed for that, but now we know they have good effects against anxiety. We know now that "anti-psychotic" drugs are good for major depression refractory to typical antidepressants. "Abilify" is aripiprazole and is good for major depressive disorder that is refractory to SSRIs. Electroconvulsant Treatment also is effective for people who are majorly depressed and can't find relief with pharmaceuticals. (It is highly effective, and patients have to request it and it's administered under general anesthesia).

It all makes sense, since (despite what Scientology would have you believe), psych diagnosis are caused by chemical imbalences in the brain. All psych drugs modify those.

True psychosis is found in schizophrenia and bipolar disorder and a few more. The incidence of these pathologies remains stable. So the increase in "antipsychotic" use is for off label indications. The major question is this: if patients find benefit from the drugs, then what is the real problem?

We are over drugged as a whole and most people on anti depressants would do as well or better if they changed their lifestyles.

A simple thing like exercise can stave of depression for many people. It's funny how the fatter more sedentary we get as a society the more depressed we feel.

Depression and anxiety: Exercise eases symptoms - MayoClinic.com

SP - While what you post is somewhat true, I'm sure, for many 'of us' it seems not logically true for all 'of us'. There are chemical imbalances that are sometimes too great to affectively change through diet, exercise, lifestyle, emotional influences, etc... and those do require medication. The problem is perhaps more so that so many 'of us' primarily depend on the chemical change/adjustments of prescription medications instead of being personally responsible and spiritually proactive.

My personal experience with depression has not proven my mother's or my husband's. We cannot logically assume that people can 'just snap out of it' because of the individual chemical make up within a person's brain, neurological issues, emotional... hormonal issues, etc. Depression is quite a different kind of beast than one that can be addressed by throwing a medicinal blanket over, as well... The causes of depression are as vast as the potential treatments/cures, too.

The leading factor in defeating depression of any grade/depth is most assuredly personal responsibility coupled with spiritually proactive determination. Economics and sociology may effect mass psychosis but if each individual had the mind of a survivalist then perhaps even the most difficult of economic recession/depression could be successfully withstood and perhaps even prevented from recurring.

Last edited:
SP - While what you post is somewhat true, I'm sure, for many 'of us' it seems not logically true for all 'of us'. There are chemical imbalances that are sometimes too great to affectively change through diet, exercise, lifestyle, emotional influences, etc... and those do require medication. The problem is perhaps more so that so many 'of us' primarily depend on the chemical change/adjustments of prescription medications instead of being personally responsible and spiritually proactive.

My personal experience with depression has not proven my mother's or my husband's. We cannot logically assume that people can 'just snap out of it' because of the individual chemical make up within a person's brain, neurological issues, emotional... hormonal issues, etc. Depression is quite a different kind of beast than one that can be addressed by throwing a medicinal blanket over, as well... The causes of depression are as vast as the potential treatments/cures, too.

The leading factor in defeating depression of any grade/depth is most assuredly personal responsibility coupled with spiritually proactive determination. Economics and sociology may effect mass psychosis but if each individual had the mind of a survivalist then perhaps even the most difficult of economic recession/depression could be successfully withstood and perhaps even prevented from recurring.

The incidence of clinical depression not related to external factors and solely caused by a chemical imbalance affects a much smaller segment of the population than are currently on anti depressants.

Situational depression even seasonal depression are better managed via lifestyle changes or talk therapy than with drugs.

We are over drugged as a whole and most people on anti depressants would do as well or better if they changed their lifestyles.

A simple thing like exercise can stave of depression for many people. It's funny how the fatter more sedentary we get as a society the more depressed we feel.

Depression and anxiety: Exercise eases symptoms - MayoClinic.com

Yeah. That's what they need. Diet, exercise, and vitamins. Just like Tom Cruise said.

Thanks for your opinion. My original question stands: if patient's feel that they benefit from anti-depressants, what is the harm and who is anyone else to judge them?

If diet and exercise works for you, then great. It's presumptuous to think they will work for everyone.

Mass Psychosis in the US

We have a pill for that too.

The incidence of clinical depression not related to external factors and solely caused by a chemical imbalance affects a much smaller segment of the population than are currently on anti depressants.

Situational depression even seasonal depression are better managed via lifestyle changes or talk therapy than with drugs.

What is "situational depression"?

There is appropriate grief. If your loved one passes away and you aren't depressed, then you most likely have a some sort of mental disorder.

Then there is pathologic grief or major depressive disorder or simple depression.

Either way, it can be treated and it usually requires something more then a cursory walk in the fresh air. If the issue were that easy to resolve, people would figure it out on their own.

Anecdotal, I don't see a positive correlation between BMI and diagnosis of depression. It's a bit more complicated than that.

Most things involving the brain are.

Finally, since we can't effectively measure a "chemical imbalance" in the brain, your first statement is just silly.

Our society seems to think there is amagic "pill" to solve our job and economic problems.
It is just the I want it now mentality of the USA.

Forum List

Back