Head Lice Remedies?

Discussion in 'Health and Lifestyle' started by michael39, Jul 26, 2011.

1. michael39

michael39 Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +19
    What's your most effective head lice home remedies? Anybody have any experience with home treatments?

Last edited: Jul 26, 2011
  2. whitehall

whitehall Gold Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,659
    Get a big package of rotinone powdered garden bug killer. It won't hurt humans and it's good on dogs to kill fleas.

3. Kooshdakhaa

Kooshdakhaa Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +575
    Do you have an issue with the shampoos made specifically for this purpose? Such as "Rid" or "Nix"? They're your best best, but if the infestation is light you might be able to remove the lice and nits manually using a lice comb. Even if you use the shampoo, you should use a lice comb to remove the, er... casualties.

I've also read that Denorex Extra Strength dandruff shampoo works.

You should also wash clothes and bedding and vaccum the hell out of everywhere the person's head may have been...furniture, etc.

It's a pain.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2011
  4. alicewonders

alicewonders Rookie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Steer clear from chemical based lice treatment as study shows that it increases the incident of seizures. Salon and clinics who uses the Shepperd Method to eliminate lice is a good choice.

5. strollingbones

strollingbones Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +9,445
    get the doc to give you kwell lotion.....other wise its a long time to rid them....shave as much body hair as possible

6. Douger

Douger BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +914
    KMNO4. 1/2 tspn to a gallon of water. Rinse. Repeat. Done.
    Do NOT let it get into your eyes.

7. AllieBaba

AllieBaba BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,647
    LICE, Bones, not crabs, lol....

Home remedies aren't typically too effective...health departments will provide treatment free of charge, if the cost is an issue, you just call them and say you need it...

If you absolutely must do the home remedy route, your best bet is to cut hair and pick by hand. Disgusting, but effective. You have to use a nit comb to get all the nits, and believe me, whomever is having their head raked is going to protest because it takes many sessions and they are long. Use a small flashlight (hold it in your mouth) as you work through the hair.

Good luck. Really, just get the shampoo. Use it a few times over a couple of weeks to make sure you get them all.

8. Dabs

Dabs ~Unpredictable~

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,388
    Yes it sure is!
    My niece had a bad case of it, very bad...ohmigosh, it was some years back. My Mother and I went over there, and together she and I washed the little girl's head, and stripped all the bedding off all the beds and my Mom had bought about 20 cans of that spray stuff in the cans, to spray the furniture at my brother's house....it was hideous.
    We went back about 3 or 4 days later to repeat the process......(my brother and his then wife were both lazy asses)........and things seemed to clear up eventually.
    I know I wore rubber gloves, and had my hair all up in a bun and when I got back to my home, I tossed everything I was wearing into the washing machine.
    Lice gives me the heebie jeebies...I don't like even being in this thread :lol:

9. Toro

Toro Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,919
    My son picked it up from school. Twice. My wife got it once. I was spared.

It is a pain.

We did a few things. We did the usual nit-picking. That's important. At night, they would put cooking oil, i.e. canola oil, in their hair and sleep with a shower cap. That helps kill the lice and the nits. My wife washed sheets, blankets and pillow cases every day until it was gone. I think she also bought some special shampoo, but I'm not sure how effective that was. She also bought an electronic lice comb. That was helpful. It is a very fine comb power by batteries you run it through your hair and it identifies if you still have any lice or nits. That was a good purchase because after awhile, every little flake of dandruff looks like a nit.

10. Big Black Dog

Big Black Dog Everybody's favorite doggie. Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,559
    Beheading.