Mass Psychosis in the US

Discussion in 'Health and Lifestyle' started by sparky, Jul 26, 2011.

1. sparky

sparky VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +341
    An unprecedented 1 in 66 Americans is a diagnosed psychotic | The Raw Story

"[T]he tally of those who are so disabled by mental disorders that they qualify for Supplemental Security Income (SSI) or Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) increased nearly two and a half times between 1987 and 2007 - from one in 184 Americans to one in seventy-six. For children, the rise is even more startling - a thirty-five-fold increase in the same two decades. Mental illness is now the leading cause of disability in children." Under the tutelage of Big Pharma, we are "simply expanding the criteria for mental illness so that nearly everyone has one." Fugh-Berman agrees: In the age of aggressive drug marketing, she says, "Psychiatric diagnoses have expanded to include many perfectly normal people."[/SIZE]

Mass Psychosis in the US

Has America become a nation of psychotics? You would certainly think so, based on the explosion in the use of antipsychotic medications. In 2008, with over $14 billion in sales, antipsychotics became the single top-selling therapeutic class of prescription drugs in the United States, surpassing drugs used to treat high cholesterol and acid reflux.

I wanna jump but I'm afraid I'll fall
    I wanna holler but the joint's too small
    Pharamcabal's got a hold of me too
    I got the rockin' delusion and the pill poppin' flu

Want some lovin' doc and that ain't all
    I wanna 'scprit for a pharma 8 ball
    Shill Daignostic's gonna get me my due

Wanna psychosis i'm way too slow
    A thought disorder for that drugstore blow
    Insurance dude says he's gonna come through

2. eots

eots no fly list

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,606
    shameful

3. Douger

Douger BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +915
    That's about as accurate as the unemployment statistics.
    I'd guess both are near 25% in (non-Disney) reality.

4. Truthmatters

Truthmatters BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,233
    a whole slew of meds will go off the patent list over the next few years.

Drugs will get cheaper and hopefully these assholes will lose some of their power

5. Si modo

Si modo Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,703
    The mentally ill are assholes? How un-bleeding heart of you.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  6. Douger

Douger BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +915
    They fully understand that and have a barrage of new "miracle" drugs waiting in the back room for that event. Never underestimate your masters.

7. zzzz

zzzz Just a regular American

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +429
    Everyone has a mental illness, it is called intelligence.

8. editec

editec Mr. Forgot-it-All

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,617
    Psychosis is one TYPE of mental illness.

The title of this article is very misleading.

9. midcan5

midcan5 liberal / progressive

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,287
    "Human beings will be happier —not when they cure cancer or get to Mars or eliminate racial prejudice or flush Lake Erie —but when they find ways to inhabit primitive communities again. That’s my utopia." Kurt Vonnegut

Interesting but hard to unravel topic. Today everyone in America is sedated so that life looks other than it is. The TV ads for all sorts of mental and physical ailments are astounding. The nuns used to give me red marks for self control, had I been a modern upper class student, I would probably have been drugged. Anyone ever watch super nanny, she manages the children without drugs through consistency and discipline. Rare thing in America.

But modern American parents are lost in the suburbs, lost, trying to keep up with the 'Jones' who are in equally bad shape. I think a great 'black comedy' could be written in which the average American watches fox's depressing shows and news, takes drugs to sleep and wake, listens to depressing wingnut radio stuck in massive traffic jams, as they text each other, and twitter away the day. Home they eat at some fast food place still checking the blackberry or ipod, while the children get fat while playing games on their electronic devices, home they settle around the TV watching police or medical shows that depress them further as they complain of the price of gas, and hope tomorrow will be a different day as they head for the medicine cabinet. Meanwhile in a control room on Washington's K street, the creators of American reality plot the next fear and the next device ad for keeping the masses asleep........sleep well America......

National Child Abuse Statistics | Childhelp

"Anyone who has studied the history of technology knows that technological change is always a Faustian bargain: Technology giveth and technology taketh away, and not always in equal measure. A new technology sometimes creates more than it destroys. Sometimes, it destroys more than it creates. But it is never one-sided." Neil Postman

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  10. eots

eots no fly list

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,606
    no is not... the off labile use of anti-psychotics is out of control...and almost all all so called mental illness is treated with basically the same handful of psychotropic and neroleptic drugs alone or in some combination

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHolKz6SZDs]‪Eli Lilly $1.42 Billion Zyprexa Settlement - Steve Sheller on Fox News‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uuK1t474ei4]‪St. Petersburg Times Reports on Zyprexa‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-sHu0ZEJzXA]‪Alert on Atypical Antipsychotics (June 2005)‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]