Mars science lab blasts off!

Computer animation..

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4boyXQuUIw&feature=related]Mars Science Laboratory Curiosity Rover Animation - YouTube[/ame]

What are the odds that the complex landing scheme fails and it crashes. Just look at the track record of failures to the red planet.

and the poor Russians blew their Mars shot, Phobos. 2nd stage didn't fire and its in a low earth orbit thats decaying. contact to the vehicle iffy too. I take no pleasure in that, I feel bad for them, Putin may cut heir funding entirely.:doubt:

Amazing effort.....

Shows the potential of unmanned exploration

Amazing effort.....

True.

But manned exploration should be supported as well.

I love robots

With the new Hubble telescope and unmanned rovers we get more bang for our buck. Manned exploration is great for your ego, but the costs of sustaining a human being for months in space and ensuring safety make the costs prohibitive

Unmanned rovers can explore for years and if they fail, nobody mourns them

R2D2 not Buck Rogers

Amazing effort.....

True.

I love robots

With the new Hubble telescope and unmanned rovers we get more bang for our buck. Manned exploration is great for your ego, but the costs of sustaining a human being for months in space and ensuring safety make the costs prohibitive

R2D2 not Buck Rogers

The whole point of space exploration is to find new places to live. And if humans aren't going to colonize new places..there really is no point.

We have to learn to deal with the harsh environments of outer space and other planets.

True.

I love robots

R2D2 not Buck Rogers

The whole point of space exploration is to find new places to live. And if humans aren't going to colonize new places..there really is no point.

We have to learn to deal with the harsh environments of outer space and other planets.

I think that money would be better spent taking care of our own planet.

Wasn't that the mission of Lost in Space?

I love robots

R2D2 not Buck Rogers

Yeah.

Oh the pain..the pain..

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ke4682EC_bo]lost in space episode teaser 3 - YouTube[/ame]

:lol:

True.

I love robots

R2D2 not Buck Rogers

I always wondered the point.

True.

I love robots

R2D2 not Buck Rogers

There's more to space exploration than colonization of other planets. There's the possibilities of gathering resources, making new scientific discoveries, and even looking for signs of life other than on Earth.

I love robots

R2D2 not Buck Rogers

jesus Christ contradict yourself some more, so do we spend the money on space or not?

jesus Christ contradict yourself some more, so do we spend the money on space or not?

Where is the contradiction?

I advocate spending on Hubble, unmanned exploration and revenue generating projects.

Spending money for an eventual space colony is a waste

Amazing that the journey will endure eight and one half months earth time. Crazy.

And just think, that's a REALLY, REALLY CLOSE planet, and it's still pretty much uninhabitable for humans.

What are we going there for?

If we're going to blow billions of dollars on space, it better be on a way to traverse deep space, not taking soil samples of some planet we can't inhabit.

Forum List

Back