Marijuana legalization backers hand in initiative petitions

Modbert

Daydream Believer
Sep 2, 2008
Marijuana legalization backers hand in initiative petitions | L.A. NOW | Los Angeles Times

Supporters of legalized marijuana announced today that they have gathered about 700,000 signatures for their initiative, virtually guaranteeing voters will see it on the November ballot.

They plan to turn in the petitions today to elections officials in some of the state's major counties, including Los Angeles. Supporters need 433,971 valid signatures to qualify the measure.

The measure’s main proponent, Richard Lee, a highly successful Oakland marijuana entrepreneur, bankrolled a professional signature-gathering effort that was bolstered by volunteers from the state’s hundreds of medical marijuana dispensaries.

“This is a historic first step toward ending cannabis prohibition,” Lee said. “I’ve always believed that cannabis should be taxed and regulated and that our current laws aren’t working.”

The initiative, known as the Regulate, Control and Tax Cannabis Act, would make it legal for anyone 21 and older to possess an ounce of marijuana and grow plants in an area no larger than 25 square feet for personal use. It would also allow cities and counties to permit marijuana to be grown and sold, and to impose taxes on marijuana production and sales.

Here we go. Hopefully the stoners don't forget to vote. :lol:

Marijuana legalization backers hand in initiative petitions | L.A. NOW | Los Angeles Times

Supporters of legalized marijuana announced today that they have gathered about 700,000 signatures for their initiative, virtually guaranteeing voters will see it on the November ballot.

They plan to turn in the petitions today to elections officials in some of the state's major counties, including Los Angeles. Supporters need 433,971 valid signatures to qualify the measure.

The measure’s main proponent, Richard Lee, a highly successful Oakland marijuana entrepreneur, bankrolled a professional signature-gathering effort that was bolstered by volunteers from the state’s hundreds of medical marijuana dispensaries.

“This is a historic first step toward ending cannabis prohibition,” Lee said. “I’ve always believed that cannabis should be taxed and regulated and that our current laws aren’t working.”

The initiative, known as the Regulate, Control and Tax Cannabis Act, would make it legal for anyone 21 and older to possess an ounce of marijuana and grow plants in an area no larger than 25 square feet for personal use. It would also allow cities and counties to permit marijuana to be grown and sold, and to impose taxes on marijuana production and sales.

Here we go. Hopefully the stoners don't forget to vote. :lol:

Why was I not told of this? I'm a resident of CA I could've signed this.

Although imagine if this passed, it would make the War on Weed so much more futile if people could legally bring weed to most of the West Coast.

Although imagine if this passed, it would make the War on Weed so much more futile if people could legally bring weed to most of the West Coast.

It seems like they were just looking to get enough to get it on the ballot. And yeah, it would.

I would say this actually has a decent chance of passing.

It seems like they were just looking to get enough to get it on the ballot. And yeah, it would.

Come on San Fransisco prove you're useful for something. If they have Haight Ashbury it can't be that hard.

Great.. Because we don't have enough water-logged marshmallow heads as it is...

Well we certainly have too many people in jail over drug charges.

The amount of taxpayer money being spent on keeping people in jail for possessing marijuana alone should make any Conservative want to see it end too.

Come on San Fransisco prove you're useful for something. If they have Haight Ashbury it can't be that hard.

Oregon is already moving that way. Why not make the whole west coast a free pot zone?

Oregon is already moving that way. Why not make the whole west coast a free pot zone?

Because if Washington legalized pot Windows might become even worse.

Not only is entirely to much money spent on jailing people charged with possession but hundreds of billions of dollars have been spent in efforts to irradicate marijuana. And we wonder where all the national debt comes from. Furthermore there has not been one single marijuana ralated death recorded...EVER! Number one killer in America, tobacco. Number two, alcohol. In fact there have never been any negative side effect proven in any of the hundreds and hundreds of studies except one in the seventies. Monkeys that were given an extremely high (no pun intended) dose over long periods of time showed a great decrease in their life span. What isn't widely advertised is that the monkeys were given these doses through gas masks with no oxygen supplemented. Can you suffocation. My last point to disprove is the crime that orbits around marijuana. During the prohibition of alcohol who flourished from the sales? Crimelords. In fact organized crime would not even have been a major problem if not for prohibition. So hisory shows that it's not the substance itself that attracts criminals but the fact that you have to break the law to sell or possess it. Were it legalized ant taxed then legitamate businesses would sell it and law abiding citizens would be the dominant group of users. The problem is not with pot. It's with marijuana laws. The war against all the lies we've been told about weed is coming to and but not without a fight. "legal" drug companies have billions of dollars at there expence to keep it criminalizes. Why? Because medicinal marijuana would cost them lots of money. The government doesn't want it because they have lied about it for so long. And how would it look if they just changed there mind. Some citizens don't want it cause they believe the lies. In closing, prohibition does not work. It never has and never will. It's time for reform. Thank you for reading and keep fighting for change.

Not only is entirely to much money spent on jailing people charged with possession but hundreds of billions of dollars have been spent in efforts to irradicate marijuana. And we wonder where all the national debt comes from. Furthermore there has not been one single marijuana ralated death recorded...EVER! Number one killer in America, tobacco. Number two, alcohol. In fact there have never been any negative side effect proven in any of the hundreds and hundreds of studies except one in the seventies. Monkeys that were given an extremely high (no pun intended) dose over long periods of time showed a great decrease in their life span. What isn't widely advertised is that the monkeys were given these doses through gas masks with no oxygen supplemented. Can you suffocation. My last point to disprove is the crime that orbits around marijuana. During the prohibition of alcohol who flourished from the sales? Crimelords. In fact organized crime would not even have been a major problem if not for prohibition. So hisory shows that it's not the substance itself that attracts criminals but the fact that you have to break the law to sell or possess it. Were it legalized ant taxed then legitamate businesses would sell it and law abiding citizens would be the dominant group of users. The problem is not with pot. It's with marijuana laws. The war against all the lies we've been told about weed is coming to and but not without a fight. "legal" drug companies have billions of dollars at there expence to keep it criminalizes. Why? Because medicinal marijuana would cost them lots of money. The government doesn't want it because they have lied about it for so long. And how would it look if they just changed there mind. Some citizens don't want it cause they believe the lies. In closing, prohibition does not work. It never has and never will. It's time for reform. Thank you for reading and keep fighting for change.
Make MJ Legal, keep bright minds like this one focused on the important aspects of life; like getting stoned.

Do I need to add a sarcasm smiley?

Make MJ Legal, keep bright minds like this one focused on the important aspects of life; like getting stoned.

Do I need to add a sarcasm smiley?

yes so we can be like all the dim, greedy, powerhungry old minds who drink like fish. Do you really think it's better to drink than to smoke pot. That as hippocritical as it gets. And just so you know, smoking pot doesn't mean that's all you think about. You should get the facts before commenting. Not trying to be a jerk but sarcasm about serious issues shod not be tollerated. We are supposed to be a free country yet the only rights we have are the that make our government money. Also if I misunderstood your reply my appologies.

I have owned a detective agency for 28 years.
The Mexican drug cartel would disappear over night if we de criminalized drugs.Asit is now they are decapitating 10 men a week there for opposing them. They went into a border town just last week and machine gunned 15 people to their death. Do them wrong and you are in a rival drug gang? They hand cuff you and then put you in a 50 gallon barrel and fill it with kerosene. They light it on fire and the kerosene burns slow. Slow death. Narco terrorists.
Real world for the dumbass masses in America.
Ask any local law enforcement officer about drug prohibition. We are chasing folks down for doing drugs wasting valuable resources all the time as the real criminals are going wild.
Drugs are a HEALTH problem. De criminalize them and we will save billions.
Of course the dope agents will oppose it. Theirs is a growth industry, no pun intended.
The real problem is prescription dope. Ask Rush Limboob.
Anyone that believes the war on drugs is working is a complete fool.

Do you really think it's better to drink than to smoke pot.
The only alcohol I purchase is the mandated ethanol content in gasoline.
I would be glad to see Alcohol and tobacco disappear from our society.
If we legalize drugs we should simultaneously revoke voting rights for drug users.

Posting with atrocious grammar and spelling is a sign of laziness or rampant stupidity. Which is your excuse?

I always sign those petitions, and I always vote for it.

Cops need to spend more of their resources chasing down real crooks.
What you have to do to secure your bike in this town is ridiculous. I always hear about big drug busts, but very little about actual police work to do much about burglary and theft

From what I saw of the system, potheads are pretty much the meat and potatoes that make the paychecks. Same folks cycle through all the time and no one gives a rip that the whole exercise is pointless and counterproductive to the real business of keeping folks safe.

Do you really think it's better to drink than to smoke pot.
The only alcohol I purchase is the mandated ethanol content in gasoline.
I would be glad to see Alcohol and tobacco disappear from our society.
If we legalize drugs we should simultaneously revoke voting rights for drug users.

Posting with atrocious grammar and spelling is a sign of laziness or rampant stupidity. Which is your excuse?

Listen I understand if you don't want to smoke pot. But you can't even give one legit reason that it should be illegal. I challenge you to come up with 1 single reason why it shouldn't be legal. And I'd rather be unintelligent than ignorant of the truth. But at least I can give reasons for my opinions. Youcant even do that. The only thing you've said so far is that you think I'm stupid. But then again this pothead debates better than you. And I probably make more money too. In a democracy does not the majority rule. Looks like I win. It is estimated that 50,000,000 adults in America smoke. That's based on the ones who aren't afraid to admit it alone. If you add to that the closet smokers who knows how many more you'd come up with. So until you can come up with real reasons to argue my point, you should refrain from posting.

Washington state is also, so it might happen! :woohoo:

Prohibition only leads to the rise of 'organized crime'.
Today Al Capone is a mexican, same guy, different language.

I just hope the 'authorities' don't decide to send out a few officers to "verify' petition signatures and decide to "enforce" the law, while it is still the law.

Forum List

Back