Marco Rubio: Medicare, Social Security ‘Weakened Us As People,’ Made Us Lazy

Rubio is a typical Republican asshole...

Actually, Rubio is a typical conservative ideologue. As I’ve mentioned in other threads, this is classic rightist dogma – ‘social programs’ make us ‘weak,’ act as a ‘disincentive.’ It’s predicated on the fallacy of Social Darwinism and the belief that humans are motivated only by fear and greed.

Rubio also exhibits another tenet of the right: reactionaryism, the rejection of modernity and its compelling factors and the inane desire to return to a fantasy world of the past:

These programs actually weakened us as a people. You see, almost forever, it was institutions in society that assumed the role of taking care of one another. If someone was sick in your family, you took care of them. If a neighbor met misfortune, you took care of them. You saved for your retirement and your future because you had to. We took these things upon ourselves in our communities, our families, and our homes, and our churches and our synagogues. But all that changed when the government began to assume those responsibilities. All of a sudden, for an increasing number of people in our nation, it was no longer necessary to worry about saving for security because that was the government’s job.

The fact is families can’t care for ill loved ones in many cases, often the medicine and treatments are too expensive and a private home not an appropriate venue for an ill or disabled family member.

Millions of Americans spend their working lives in the middle class, they earn enough to get by but have little left over for savings and retirement. And in the wake of the December 2007 recession, many Americans were forced to access those savings when unemployed. They’re working again, saved the house and car, but their savings are depleted – this last recession is what SS and Medicare were designed to address.

So it has nothing to do with being ‘lazy’ or ‘weak,’ it has to do with wages being static for the last 30 years, the loss of high paying jobs, and jobs sent overseas so corporations can realize greater profit.

Ive got some ocean front property in Arizona.... ya interested?

Join your friends. Prove it.

OK.... Im not going to argue semantics, but it wont be there for me in 25 years.

Its unsustainable.... I dont want to be a part of it. Give me my money and let me invest it.

And when the capitalism fails and the stock market crashes, who you going to go crying to? That is why we make damned sure you pay you way in America, no free rides for dreamers and loafers. You want to use America, then pay your fair of the burden.

So it has nothing to do with being ‘lazy’ or ‘weak,’ it has to do with wages being static for the last 30 years, the loss of high paying jobs, and jobs sent overseas so corporations can realize greater profit.

why did those jobs go overseas?

Liberal policies and job killing regulations area huge factor.

Im not going to debate my ideals with you two liberal idiots, b/c it is a waste of my time and energy.

By Igor Volsky on Aug 24, 2011

Americans may have certainly taken care of each other in the absence of formalized access to affordable health care, but that support did little to drastically ameliorate the fears and anxieties of seniors. As Ted Marmor explains in The Politics of Medicare, “The biggest fears included not being able to pay for care and risking turning to children or siblings for help, or it meant relying on the charitable attitude of the doctor or hospital. Most profoundly, it was the sense that illness or injury — bad enough themselves — could be disastrous for family finances unless you were lucky enough to have retiree coverage from a union or government plan.”

Indeed, prior to Medicare’s enactment in 1965, “about one-half of America’s seniors did not have hospital insurance,” “more than one in four elderly were estimated to go without medical care due to cost concerns,” and one in three seniors were living in poverty. Today, nearly all seniors have access to affordable health care and only about 14 percent of seniors are below the poverty line.

More: Marco Rubio: Medicare, Social Security ‘Weakened Us As People,’ Made Us Lazy | ThinkProgress

Rubio is a typical Republican asshole...​

One shameful thing is that many of the same seniors whose income and health depend on Social Security and Medicare are even now railing against health care for working people and their children, and against tax breaks for working families, and against help for the unemployed.

And when the capitalism fails and the stock market crashes, who you going to go crying to? That is why we make damned sure you pay you way in America, no free rides for dreamers and loafers. You want to use America, then pay your fair of the burden.

You sounded like a con there for a second....

Im not worried about the stock market. What if I want to invest in land... what if I want to put it in a can? Thats none of your business now is it?

By Igor Volsky on Aug 24, 2011

Americans may have certainly taken care of each other in the absence of formalized access to affordable health care, but that support did little to drastically ameliorate the fears and anxieties of seniors. As Ted Marmor explains in The Politics of Medicare, “The biggest fears included not being able to pay for care and risking turning to children or siblings for help, or it meant relying on the charitable attitude of the doctor or hospital. Most profoundly, it was the sense that illness or injury — bad enough themselves — could be disastrous for family finances unless you were lucky enough to have retiree coverage from a union or government plan.”

Indeed, prior to Medicare’s enactment in 1965, “about one-half of America’s seniors did not have hospital insurance,” “more than one in four elderly were estimated to go without medical care due to cost concerns,” and one in three seniors were living in poverty. Today, nearly all seniors have access to affordable health care and only about 14 percent of seniors are below the poverty line.

More: Marco Rubio: Medicare, Social Security ‘Weakened Us As People,’ Made Us Lazy | ThinkProgress

Rubio is a typical Republican asshole...​

One shameful thing is that many of the same seniors whose income and health depend on Social Security and Medicare are even now railing against health care for working people and their children, and against tax breaks for working families, and against help for the unemployed.

It's called senility, grand pooh-bah. old disagreable bitch syndrom, elderly profanity disease.

Forum List

Back